Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wii U Hardware Explained (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179826)

Radiozo 10-11-2012 01:01 PM

Wii U Hardware Explained

Nintendo discusses the Wii U's hardware in the latest 'Iwata Asks' interview.

Quote:

Iwata: What was the key to achieving low power consumption and high performance this time?

Takeda: First of all, adoption of a multi-core CPU8 for the first time. By having multiple CPU cores in a single LSI chip, data can be processed between the CPU cores and with the high-density on-chip memory much better, and can now be done very efficiently with low power consumption.

This time we fully embraced the idea of using an MCM for our gaming console. An MCM is where the aforementioned Multi-core CPU chip and the GPU chip10 are built into a single component. The GPU itself also contains quite a large on-chip memory. Due to this MCM, the package costs less and we could speed up data exchange among two LSIs while lowering power consumption. And also the international division of labor in general, would be cost-effective.
Read more

DeadPixel 10-11-2012 04:43 PM

I still don't see the point of this system. Don't we already have a million mobile games out for tablets? The only thing going for it seem to be the controls which of course feel a lot better than on-screen tablet controls.

Agnostic Pope 10-11-2012 04:47 PM

Pretty shit specs for a NEXT GEN system. With no games either besides your over saturated SUPER MEGA MARIO bros and a water-downed Zelda upcoming title I wonder why people are even buying this...

laggerific 10-11-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2156355)
Pretty shit specs for a NEXT GEN system. With no games either besides your over saturated SUPER MEGA MARIO bros and a water-downed Zelda upcoming title I wonder why people are even buying this...

I'm hoping they release an HD wind waker release...that game was beautiful, and though i'm enjoying it in HD through dolphin, I'd love to see a easy to use port.

But really i'm looking forward to nintendo games in HD...I don't need ultra realistic graphics from them, and they've proven with GC they can do more with less (see my Windwaker point above). And i'm super glad they are moving away from waggle controls...they suck! Seriously by the time the last gen if games came or using it, they confirmed in my mind, Erhart they would never be able to do it well with their tech.not thrilled about the stupid pad, but I'll take the real controls that it implies.

AkumaATR 10-11-2012 05:18 PM

I could make the TI-99/4A sound as interesting. Won't be selling ice to this Eskimo!

Radiozo 10-11-2012 07:46 PM

Sounds great to me. Its a bit more powerful than the competition right now. It will be less energy hungry and therefore a lot quieter and its quite small. It also has some new interesting ways to play games using splitscreen and its quite cheap.

Oh and it will play Nintendos games in HD and has some decent looking exclusives. Whats not to like?

Its not a next gen console btw.

Rommel 10-11-2012 07:56 PM

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-cont...2/10/Wii-U.jpg
Integration! Everything a PC Gamer avoids on his or her machine. Every rumor mill paints that integrated GPU as being a part of the Radeon 5000 (Evergreen) family. I just replaced one of those cards with a cheap Radeon 6870. I did read one source calling the GPU similar to the Radeon 4000-series, but I assume it to have been a typo.

Hellstorm 10-11-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2156389)
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-cont...2/10/Wii-U.jpg
Integration! Everything a PC Gamer avoids on his or her machine. Every rumor mill paints that integrated GPU as being a part of the Radeon 5000 (Evergreen) family. I just replaced one of those cards with a cheap Radeon 6870. I did read one source calling the GPU similar to the Radeon 4000-series, but I assume it to have been a typo.

The discussions on NeoGaf and B3D point to a custom derivative of the Radeon 6700 series, which is a 2011 part. And I am inclined to agree, it's based on the 6700 series with a substantial amount of tweaks and changes

But people can keep downplaying the GPU of the Wii U if it helps them sleep at night.

This is another great example of the clean and efficient hardware design Nintendo follows, the GC was a really powerful system packed into that small cube space.

I also like that they flat out stated they age-tested the shit out of the system to avoid long term "heat related" failures.

Hellstorm 10-11-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiozo (Post 2156386)

Its not a next gen console btw.

Is there a special handshake it needs to do? You know to get past the bouncer to get into the next-gen club?

Will the 720 be next gen? Or only next gen until the release of the PS4..?

If it's part of the next hardware cycle, then it's part of "next gen."

Zelos 10-11-2012 09:30 PM

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...sgonnahate.gif

Rommel 10-11-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellstorm (Post 2156396)
The discussions on NeoGaf and B3D point to a custom derivative of the Radeon 6700 series, which is a 2011 part. And I am inclined to agree, it's based on the 6700 series with a substantial amount of tweaks and changes

But people can keep downplaying the GPU of the Wii U if it helps them sleep at night.

This is another great example of the clean and efficient hardware design Nintendo follows, the GC was a really powerful system packed into that small cube space.

I also like that they flat out stated they age-tested the shit out of the system to avoid long term "heat related" failures.

Are you referring to the below e-mail?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=4830

Can I transfer money through your bank account? Even if this ends up being true, it will be nothing more than a coincidence. That is the fakest image this side of initial PS3 screenshots.

Rommel 10-11-2012 09:35 PM

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/4623/p2npw.png

Hellstorm 10-11-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2156400)
Are you referring to the below e-mail?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=4830

Can I transfer money through your bank account? Even if this ends up being true, it will be nothing more than a coincidence. That is the fakest image this side of initial PS3 screenshots.

The email is fake, but it did bring up discussion of the part, which is what I was pointing to and not the email itself. The discussions did point out several reasons why it could be the GPU: the part is intended to be embedded, GPGPU, etc. Which is why I am inclined to believe the GPU is from that line. The only other rumored GPU is a RV770 derivative.

Either way, we'll find out eventually. And haters will continue to hate. If you are an enthusiast PC gamer, your current PC probably is better than any of the next gen system, or can easily become so.

Hellstorm 10-11-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelos (Post 2156399)

Too true. People getting all salty about what Nintendo is doing.

http://i.minus.com/ijQ1SwHuLYoFY.jpg

:D

Radiozo 10-11-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellstorm (Post 2156397)
Is there a special handshake it needs to do? You know to get past the bouncer to get into the next-gen club?

Will the 720 be next gen? Or only next gen until the release of the PS4..?

If it's part of the next hardware cycle, then it's part of "next gen."

Good question I dont know but since Nintendo is just now catching up with the other 2 I wouldnt call it next gen when it comes to performance.

Agnostic Pope 10-11-2012 11:46 PM

Hellstorm buddy I know you just dropped 320 for a wiiHD but come on man call it what it is! Be honest with yourself!

see colon 10-12-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiozo (Post 2156409)
Good question I dont know but since Nintendo is just now catching up with the other 2 I wouldnt call it next gen when it comes to performance.

Was dreamcast in the same generation as N64? Feature-set wise Sega was only catching up, and while performance was better, it wasn't really a full generation better.

What about 3Do and Jaguar? Are they in the same generation as SNES and Genesis? And then where is NeoGeo. It came out the same year as SNES, but it wasn't until 3Do that the games ported from it looked anything like they did on it. There are even a few PSx and Saturn ports that are inferior to the NeoGeo originals.

The waters are pretty muddy when it comes to what constitutes a "generation".

Demo_Boy 10-12-2012 08:17 AM

Integrated CPU/GPU on one die is fine for a console. not like you are pulling the vid card to upgrade it. saves assembly, silicon, transit time....

on the other hand, seeing how much effort went into making the WiiU low power consumption, it does not give me a lot of hope that they know what gamers want.

Doctorossi 10-12-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demo_Boy (Post 2156464)
on the other hand, seeing how much effort went into making the WiiU low power consumption, it does not give me a lot of hope that they know what gamers want.

Indeed. I can't for the life of me figure out the purpose of their design focus on low power-consumption. Is this a marketing issue that's developed in markets I'm not familiar with? What are they thinking?

Syl 10-12-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 2156469)
Indeed. I can't for the life of me figure out the purpose of their design focus on low power-consumption. Is this a marketing issue that's developed in markets I'm not familiar with? What are they thinking?

You are aware that every single hardware company, all of them, are focused on lower power consumption right?

Even Microsoft and Sony are, hence why they redesigned the 360 and PS3.

The reasons are multitude, but the real short version is cost and life of device are both tied to power use. lower is better.