Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo E3 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246229)

BeardedSonOfNel 06-13-2017 08:53 PM

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Nintendo E3

https://s14.postimg.org/gh7p7xi4x/Xe...-2-940x529.jpg
Click the headline to watch the video.

Quote:

Journey to Elysium in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, coming to Nintendo Switch this winter.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-13-2017 08:53 PM

ashikenshin 06-13-2017 09:33 PM

these games look so good but I know that treehouse will butcher this game. Already the english dub sounds awful.

Hellstorm 06-14-2017 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2485856)
these games look so good but I know that treehouse will butcher this game. Already the english dub sounds awful.

Should have NoE do the dub like last time.

EL CABONG 06-14-2017 10:56 AM

This and Mario look great. Not sure if its enough to get to buy a switch but this game is making the prospect of getting a switch much more tempting.

Chimpbot 06-14-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2485924)
This and Mario look great. Not sure if its enough to get to buy a switch but this game is making the prospect of getting a switch much more tempting.

Pfft, you don't want that kiddie shit.

Buy a real man's console, man.

http://i.imgur.com/Bu5Wo3Ul.jpg

PatrickRes9 06-14-2017 06:08 PM

I loved Xenoblade Chronicles X. The scope of that game was ridiculous, and the equipment, skilling, bosses, exploration, and the sheer size and detail of the world were ridiculous. I had 400 hours logged. I still didn't get the final mech I wanted or a few of the mech super weapons.

This is an instant purchase for me day 1.

Also, Nice photo Chimpbot. Bro-dudes sharing the same games their 11 year old nephews play and muttering something about "adult" content. Hahaha. Rich.

LostToys 06-14-2017 07:32 PM

A game aimed at adults and played by kids (not all M-rated games are equal in violence) and games aimed at kids and played by adults (not all kid games lack depth) are not the same. I swear, hyperbole is going to be the death of me! (yar yar).

ashikenshin 06-14-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2485981)
A game aimed at adults and played by kids (not all M-rated games are equal in violence) and games aimed at kids and played by adults (not all kid games lack depth) are not the same. I swear, hyperbole is going to be the death of me! (yar yar).

also I fail to see how one can evaluate maturity based on the games played.

Chimpbot 06-14-2017 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2485984)

And that's exactly the point.

LostToys 06-14-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Depends on how you want to define it. It can be as simple as the rating on the box, to adult content and situations, hard to master controls, to nuanced story telling and themes. Obviously, people like to use the ESRB rating to determine maturity as it clearly puts the demographic on display on the front of the box.

PatrickRes9 06-15-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

And that's exactly the point. It's all the same. Some people are just more sensitive to that sort of thing. They can't play an E rated game. To me that sort of thing is entirely irrelevant. Witcher 3 or Mario - Fun factor is the only thing that matters.

Chimpbot 06-15-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2485989)
Depends on how you want to define it. It can be as simple as the rating on the box, to adult content and situations, hard to master controls, to nuanced story telling and themes. Obviously, people like to use the ESRB rating to determine maturity as it clearly puts the demographic on display on the front of the box.

ESRB ratings having nothing to do with controls, or nuanced storytelling; the ratings are based entirely around the content, such as violence, crude humor, sexually suggestive (or explicit) content, blood/gore and strong language.

M-rated games aren't automatically better, more difficult or more nuanced than an E-rated game; it just means the former has content that is generally considered to be more acceptable for the 17+ crowd. If you're looking at the rating and assuming the game will be "better" than those with more accessible ratings, I think you're reading far too much into things, if not outright misinterpreting the purpose and intent of the ESRB rating system.

It's no different than the current fad of people clamoring for R-rated superhero movies, as if the R-rating automatically makes the movie better.

ashikenshin 06-15-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2486015)
It's no different than the current fad of people clamoring for R-rated superhero movies, as if the R-rating automatically makes the movie better.

It doesn't make the movie better but it allows the director more freedom. Having a director cut content from their movie because of a producer wanting a pg-13 rating sucks. I don't think this quite applies to this conversation though.

Chimpbot 06-15-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2486016)
It doesn't make the movie better but it allows the director more freedom. Having a director cut content from their movie because of a producer wanting a pg-13 rating sucks. I don't think this quite applies to this conversation though.

It's analogous, I think.

Regardless of the medium, not having to "reign yourself in" because of content restrictions isn't necessarily a bad thing. Looking at the movie example, most of the content cut or edited due to ratings typically involves gratuitous violence, blood and/or gore. Sure, it might look cool...but nothing of actual value to the plot, story, themes or overall development typically isn't lost. Hell, there are examples where working within the confines of a "lower" rating can actually create much more sinister, terrifying situations. For example, the "I'm gonna make this pencil disappear" scene in The Dark Knight felt so much more violent and brutal without showing any blood - or even the pencil explicitly going into the man's skull - than any gorier version of the scene would have. It was quick and got the point across in a rather elegant manner.

I digress.

In terms of video games, an M-rating doesn't really "free" the writers or developers to do anything, other than utilize more blood, gore, violence, swearing and maybe some tits. It doesn't affect the way the game plays in any meaningful way, whatsoever.

The story or overall experience in any given M-rated game is not inherently or automatically better than any given T- or E-rated game (which covers a huge swath of titles, mind you).

ashikenshin 06-15-2017 09:50 AM

hence why I said it's different. And, rating does limit movies. Usually the removal of blood is done poorly and it shows. Blood and adult themes are often cut in order to pretend to captivate a wider audience.

In games it doesn't work that way. Usually developers know what rating they are aiming for before starting work on it. The only times they have to cut content is when they go into AO territory.

LostToys 06-15-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2486024)
In games it doesn't work that way. Usually developers know what rating they are aiming for before starting work on it. The only times they have to cut content is when they go into AO territory.

Or you are bringing the game over from Japan... *cough* boob slider in Xenoblade Chronicles*cough*.

ashikenshin 06-16-2017 01:22 AM

Which doesn't make any sense, the rating would have been the same. That was Treehouse bullshit which is why I'm not buying Treehouse "localized" butchered content.

I rather have a bad translation than memes and references to gamergate.

btw I hate the left's puritanical war on boobs

JazGalaxy 06-17-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2485981)

The problem with this false equivalency is that Nintendos games aren't "aimed at kids". A few elites gamers look, at it and say "That's for kids". But there is no empirical truth to that statement. It's a judgement that exists only in their head.
Yes, some games are INNALROPRATE for children. But something being inappropriate for children does not make it " mature". Nor does it follow logically that things which are appropriate for all audiences are "childish".

JazGalaxy 06-17-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2486024)
hence why I said it's different. And, rating does limit movies. Usually the removal of blood is done poorly and it shows. Blood and adult themes are often cut in order to pretend to captivate a wider audience.

It's a little more. Implicated than that. Films and games are rated differently. Movies must submit a Cut of the film to be rated. If a film gets an undesirable rating, the editors can usually cut seconds of film to get an acceptable rating.

Games submit a video of a vertical slice of the game and the self-selected most egregious content to the ESRB, which they file away. They don't play the games and they don't see EVERYthing. So in a way, the publishers pick the rating they want. If they were found to be scamming, they would face a fine, but there's no real reason to.