Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Netflix Testing Out Pricier New ‘Ultra’ Plan at $16.99 per Month (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254430)

Emabulator 07-04-2018 09:45 AM

Netflix Testing Out Pricier New ‘Ultra’ Plan at $16.99 per Month

Variety has the story.

Quote:

Netflix is kicking the tires on a new high-end streaming plan — dubbed “Ultra” — to see whether consumers are willing to pay more for four Ultra HD streams or content in HDR format.

The Ultra plans cost $16.99 per month and is being tested in two versions. One offers four Ultra HD streams, while the existing $13.99 Premium plan would drop from four to two UHD streams. In the second offer, both Premium and Ultra customers would have access to four concurrent Ultra HD streams but only Ultra customers would have access to high dynamic range (HDR) content, which provides more vibrant color reproduction and higher contrast.

The new test offers were first reported by Italian tech blog TuttoAndroid.net. According to Cordcutting.com, Netflix is testing two different price points for Ultra: The company’s German site showed different prices (€16.99 and €19.99) depending on the user’s browser.

Netflix first introduced the four-stream “family plan” in 2013, as a premium alternative to the standard HD plan that provides access to two concurrent streams per account. A year later, it modified the packages so that Ultra HD content was available only in the higher-priced tier. Now Netflix is looking to see how much consumers value HDR versus four-stream access.

Netflix has confirmed the Ultra tests, and says only a subset of customers will be shown the higher-priced options. In addition, as with any of the company’s trial program, Netflix may not decide to more widely roll out the Ultra tier.

excalibur1814 07-04-2018 10:10 AM

Or... everyone cancel their subscription and, when asked why, state that you wanted 4 streams for free.

You, as I'll never join Netflix, are being milked for less and less.

HillTribe 07-04-2018 11:13 AM

Truth be told I did not know there was a limit to how many devices can stream at once. It makes sense, but its just me and my wife so I guess it was never an issue.

Taking into account how much we use Netflix, if the wife wanted better quality streams, the extra few bucks a month would be well spent as far as I am concerned.

Exodus 07-04-2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillTribe (Post 2516285)
Truth be told I did not know there was a limit to how many devices can stream at once. It makes sense, but its just me and my wife so I guess it was never an issue.

Taking into account how much we use Netflix, if the wife wanted better quality streams, the extra few bucks a month would be well spent as far as I am concerned.

Yeah but it boils down to what actually is HDR content on netflix. If I'm just paying an extra 6$ for kimmy schmidt I'll gladly pass.

Metal Jesus 07-04-2018 02:43 PM

What I would prefer Netflix to do instead is have that extra $$ per month unlock more Triple-AAA Hollywood movies. That is something worth paying extra for...but definitely not slightly better color depth on my 4K HDTV...

Demo_Boy 07-04-2018 03:46 PM

"extra $$ per month unlock more Triple-AAA Hollywood movies"
^^This

EL CABONG 07-04-2018 04:27 PM

I pay for 4k.what is hdr? Is that like a tier higher?

LostToys 07-05-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus (Post 2516286)
Yeah but it boils down to what actually is HDR content on netflix. If I'm just paying an extra 6$ for kimmy schmidt I'll gladly pass.

Anything that Netflix produces is in HDR (most of it is Dolby Vision as well) and they are slowly introducing films in HDR. So it comes down to how much content they will continue to curate that will be available in HDR, as legacy titles (ie. anything that is older than two years old) will not be available in HDR or will require a HDR revision to be mastered.

Wizzkidd 07-05-2018 02:28 AM

While this is both stupid AND inevitable, I quit Netflix many months ago, in February I think. Once Tmobile announced the 50% discount for military and veterans, I jumped on that and they will pay for your Netflix as well. I think I have to pay $4 or so for the 4K level. So I found a way to get it for almost free.

Wizzkidd 07-05-2018 02:43 AM

BTW look at that picture, it cracks me up. An XB1 with the power on, PS4, guitar, photobooks or something, a lockbox(?) under the TV, a plant...idk, just find it funny. Also watching that one show I couldn't get into.

Juan 07-05-2018 04:07 AM

I can't even tell when a movie is in 4K.

Chimpbot 07-05-2018 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2516307)
While this is both stupid AND inevitable, I quit Netflix many months ago, in February I think. Once Tmobile announced the 50% discount for military and veterans, I jumped on that and they will pay for your Netflix as well. I think I have to pay $4 or so for the 4K level. So I found a way to get it for almost free.

So, you didn't actually drop Netflix; you're just using an offer where someone else pays for it.

shadow763 07-05-2018 05:58 AM

Thanks for the reminder....I just cancelled my subscription.

Wizzkidd 07-05-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2516313)
So, you didn't actually drop Netflix; you're just using an offer where someone else pays for it.

No no no, I had cancelled from about Feb until June, so for the first time in years I didn't have Netflix.

Lutheran 07-06-2018 01:11 PM

I am with the people who say add some more top shelf movies. I only pay 3 bucks a month due to my cable company paying for the service for me for one year but I would pay 16 a month (now it would be 6 until the promotion is over) for a better selection of movies.

ElektroDragon 07-06-2018 06:48 PM

I'm getting capless gigabit fiber in 3 weeks, so bring it the fuck on, Netflix! :D

vallor 07-06-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lutheran (Post 2516391)
I am with the people who say add some more top shelf movies. I only pay 3 bucks a month due to my cable company paying for the service for me for one year but I would pay 16 a month (now it would be 6 until the promotion is over) for a better selection of movies.

Same. I'd love to use Netflix for... 'FLIX again instead of as a TV show vehicle.

I like that they have so many TV shows but I wish I could see movies there sooner than 12 months post Blu-ray release.

blackzc 07-06-2018 08:24 PM

Netflix and Carbohydrates.

This is peak civilization. We have arrived.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2516418)
I'm getting capless gigabit fiber in 3 weeks, so bring it the fuck on, Netflix! :D

I think my city will be getting the fast stuff in the next year or two. Google has been poking around town and the local ISP's have been ramping up speeds. Should be cool, not for nextflix though, that shit is janky garbage.

MadMurdock_0311 07-06-2018 11:06 PM

Not enough content to warrant this. Also, I'd have to worry about data caps from the Comcast shitlords.

Orphiuchus 07-07-2018 07:53 AM

People are being so dramatic... its 16 bucks, not 50. Still worlds cheaper than the cable companies charge for a vastly inferior product.