Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Halo TV Series Officially Ordered by Showtime for 2019 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254455)

Evil Avatar 07-05-2018 06:06 PM

Halo TV Series Officially Ordered by Showtime for 2019

Quote:

Showtime, Amblin Television and 343 Industries Bring Halo to Television

It’s a big day for Halo – Showtime president and CEO David Nevins announced the network has ordered a 10-episode season based on the legendary video game franchise!

In its adaptation for Showtime, Halo (working title) will take place in the universe that first came to be in 2001, dramatizing an epic 26th-century conflict between humanity and an alien threat known as the Covenant. Kyle Killen (Awake) will serve as executive producer, writer and showrunner. Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) will direct multiple episodes and also executive produce the hour-long series which enters production in early 2019.

“Halo is our most ambitious series ever, and we expect audiences who have been anticipating it for years to be thoroughly rewarded,” said Nevins. “In the history of television, there simply has never been enough great science fiction. Kyle Killen’s scripts are thrilling, expansive and provocative, Rupert Wyatt is a wonderful, world-building director, and their vision of Halo will enthrall fans of the game while also drawing the uninitiated into a world of complex characters that populate this unique universe.”

“This is a truly exciting moment for the Halo franchise,” stated Kiki Wolfkill, head of Halo Transmedia at 343 Industries. “Together with our creative and production partners at Showtime and Amblin Television, the Halo television series will represent new and exciting way for fans to enter and engage with the Halo universe. We can’t wait to share more on what’s ahead.”

Halo will be executive produced by Killen, Wyatt and Scott Pennington, along with Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank for Amblin Television. The series will be distributed globally by CBS Studios International.

For all things Halo and the recently announced Halo Infinite, be sure to check out Halo Waypoint and stay tuned to Xbox Wire.
news.xbox.com

karaliusbronius 07-05-2018 07:02 PM

I'm pretty stoked, so that means rated R?

brandonjclark 07-05-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2516346)
I'm pretty stoked, so that means rated R?

I would normally laugh at something like this but I think this has a good shot at being cool.

Drake_NS 07-05-2018 07:37 PM

I won't hold my breath. Then again, Castlevania was pretty good so far, so maybe games-gone-TV can work.

Chimpbot 07-06-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake_NS (Post 2516349)
I won't hold my breath. Then again, Castlevania was pretty good so far, so maybe games-gone-TV can work.

I think long-form formats like serialized shows would work better for most video games, to be honest. There's often too much story to cram into just two hours, so things end up feeling rushed. If they can make a great series out of Castlevania III (which was the most plot-heavy game of the original three games, all of which had threadbare stories), they can make a great series out of Halo.

I don't think it necessarily needs to be an "R-rated" show, though. The games were all very much PG-13, so this feels like an instance where going for R-rated content wouldn't really fit the source material.

Sigwolf 07-06-2018 07:03 AM

For me, it's not Halo without Martin O'Donnell's music. Given the hostile split, the inclusion of his score seems unlikely for the series, so my enthusiasm is muted.

Chimpbot 07-06-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigwolf (Post 2516364)
For me, it's not Halo without Martin O'Donnell's music. Given the hostile split, the inclusion of his score seems unlikely for the series, so my enthusiasm is muted.

I'm sure Microsoft retained the rights to all of the music he composed and recorded for the series...so there'd be enough pre-existing material to work with, I think. They'd certainly have enough for the "big" moments, at the very least.

Chief Smash 07-06-2018 07:58 AM

Plus O'Donnell's beef is with Bungie, not Microsoft and 343. If they wanted to bring him on for this, I bet he'd be open to it.

Wizzkidd 07-06-2018 05:28 PM

For the last few years I've signed up for Showtime when Homeland comes out with a new season, through Amazon Prime Video. So I will do the same for this and hope it's good.

vallor 07-06-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2516365)
I'm sure Microsoft retained the rights to all of the music he composed and recorded for the series...so there'd be enough pre-existing material to work with, I think. They'd certainly have enough for the "big" moments, at the very least.

I doubt there is anything precluding him working with a Halo show. Whatever happened to him at Bungie was (according to my sources) purely about business and creative differences post the Bungie/MS split. And yes, it was ugly.

I suspect it wouldn't be difficult to convince him to come aboard to be the music supervisor or director for a Halo show. Halo, after all, is his Opus work.