Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pure Evil - Job Simulator 2.0 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263842)

Evil Avatar 11-13-2019 07:33 AM

Pure Evil - Job Simulator 2.0
 

You too can trudge from place to place for hours at time, virtually no pay and work for people who really wish you would just go away and leave them alone. In fact, they care so little about you that they don't even open the door!

If I wanted to spend my free time working, I would still be at work!

But... Squidwhale!

Anyone else playing FedEx Ground Simulator Death Stranding?

timmyd 11-13-2019 09:03 AM

Games that are marketed with a characters face and/or title screen art always suck. Seriously. I come to this site, see a characters face only, and begin hating the game. Serves me well. The above screenshot would have been better.

Metal Jesus 11-13-2019 09:16 AM

I watched a few Let's Plays...and honestly it looked like the game was either boring (walk, walk, walk) or frustrating (balancing all those packages only to have them fall off). I just don't see the appeal.

MavenACTG 11-13-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2547969)
Anyone else playing FedEx Ground Simulator Death Stranding?

It's a good, different game. The framing you chose to be edgy is the complete opposite to the attitudes of the people you encounter and the overarching themes of the game.

Yes, I'm with you on all the Post-Apocalyptic Amazon Prime. Easy to think that in the first couple chapters when its teaching you the fundamentals about weight load, stamina, the effects of terrain, and all the other factors you take for granted in other games, not to mention all the other bizarre and potentially overwhelming elements like BTs, MULEs, etc.

But it's a game like any other. Most games involve getting a goal, travelling from Point A to B to achieve said goal, and dealing with obstacles in the way. This game gives you a different set of considerations than "point and shoot" or "face and slash." It isn't perfect, it has *tons* of shout-outs and Kojima elements (Guillermo Del Toro (model only) and Conan O'Brian (voice / model) appear as characters, blatant product placement for Monster & Ride with Normal Reedus), but it's different.

You get an Assault Rifle in Chapter 4, if you made it that far. You even get to use it, despite the games' insistence about non-lethal gameplay! Other gadgets and more of the Metal Gear utility style gameplay come out later on as well as you help people.

"Virtually no pay" -- besides the utility unlocks and other more achievement-oriented rewards you get for pursuing completionism in games by making deliveries, it's a post-capitalist, post-apocalyptic world that highlights cooperation and how appreciation for others for what they do to make our lives possible can is the more fundamental reward. The game makes subtle commentary on the foils of social media and how technology severs human connection. How many people in the supply and logistics chain get taken for granted who make your entertainment or enable people to make snarky comments through a computer or phone, both past and present?

My point is: Kojima wanted to make a point that's woven into the entire experience and might go over some people's heads if they focus too much on how this game isn't like the games they like to play. With a high stress job, playing this game is a more soothing experience. You do get something out of the game by helping others with making the world just a little bit better than you found it and showing appreciation for those that helped you -- though even that fades once you're "finished" with an area, and your impact on the world fades with time unless others after you contribute to your contribution to keep it alive (a mechanic meant to clean up the game world but also how the thing we do carry forward with the passage of time).

The game beats you over the head that human connection and the time we spend together as people are what's most important, but also, about this online digital society, which starts at the place of "where no one wants to connect, are fearful of human touch because of BTs, everyone is isolated, people are taking drugs for oxytocin to avoid depression, and society is ravaged by environmental hazards and ruins" with a main character who characterizes the starting point of the game world --

Quote:

A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.

wunshot 11-13-2019 12:08 PM

Literally the WORST game I've ever played. Not even worth any more words...

wunshot 11-13-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2547978)
The game beats you over the head that human connection and the time we spend together as people are what's most important

Funny you say that as I was thinking this is the laziest development in the history of games considering there aren't any other people walking around the cities and bases. I think there was a total of 4 people visible in the two hours I played (walked...). That's the opposite of human connection...

wunshot 11-13-2019 12:11 PM

Oh and finally....I ended up stuck in my bedroom. Tried to figure out how to leave for about 5 minutes, and finally realized it was a fitting ending to my experience with that PoS.

SpectralThundr 11-13-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2547986)
Funny you say that as I was thinking this is the laziest development in the history of games considering there aren't any other people walking around the cities and bases. I think there was a total of 4 people visible in the two hours I played (walked...). That's the opposite of human connection...

Nono listen it's a masterpeice!!! OMG SO PROGRE.. ok I can't even keep a straight face typing that. The game has always looked boring in any media of it, not surprised to find out it's another overblown fed ex walking simulator.

LostToys 11-13-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2547987)
Oh and finally....I ended up stuck in my bedroom. Tried to figure out how to leave for about 5 minutes, and finally realized it was a fitting ending to my experience with that PoS.

Really, you could not figure out how to use the right stick analog stick to move the camera around a fixed position, with intractable button prompts appearing as you look at an object, item, or location of interest?

NACIONAL 11-13-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2547978)
It's a good, different game.

... bunch of crap...

with a main character who characterizes the starting point of the game world --

I haven't played the game and I don't want it anymore.... this description seems like the synopsis of a modern art sculpture that is horrible and undesciphrable, but art collectors/critics praise because it is their job.


MavenACTG 11-13-2019 02:01 PM

It's a Kojima game, his first one with his own studio, that doesn't have major publishing backing. Yeah, it is an arthouse game. I honestly don't know what you all were expecting. Ghostbusters 3 with 8v8 multiplayer support?

PatrickRes9 11-13-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2547995)
I honestly don't know what you all were expecting.

A quality game that is fun to play. That's actually always my expectation.

wunshot 11-13-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2547991)
Really, you could not figure out how to use the right stick analog stick to move the camera around a fixed position, with intractable button prompts appearing as you look at an object, item, or location of interest?

Yeah, and although I could take a shit, look at some toys on a shelf, look at 4 colored outfits, and look at a fucked up baby in a bottle, there wasn't a single prompt for "leave the room and get the fuck on with this boring ass story".

wunshot 11-13-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2547996)
A quality game that is fun to play. That's actually always my expectation.

I loved MGS5. Was expecting more of that (base attacking, fun fights, great characters) in a different setting. Nope.....Kojima pulled a Romero and surrounded himself with sycophants and created the lamest AAA game ever made.

LostToys 11-13-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2547997)
Yeah, and although I could take a shit, look at some toys on a shelf, look at 4 colored outfits, and look at a fucked up baby in a bottle, there wasn't a single prompt for "leave the room and get the fuck on with this boring ass story".

You are literally told what to do in the upper left hand corner of the HUD. For the first two times that you are in the private quarters you are supposed to take a shower. Anything after that you enter on your own, so obviously, you look at the door and select it.

LostToys 11-13-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2547996)
A quality game that is fun to play. That's actually always my expectation.

I put Death Stranding in a similar place I put "simulator" titles like Bus, Train and Truck Simulator: It does not have to be your cup of tea, it just has to be someone's.

I'm personally enjoying that I am playing right now. I love games like Ico and The Last Guardian where most of the fun comes from world exploration and the small story elements are just carrots to keep you going forward.

Evil Avatar 11-13-2019 04:41 PM

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm laughing because the "game" is really a lot more like work. If you are one of those people who wants to complete the roads instead of just hoofing it everywhere, it's a TON of grinding.

I put a mountain of materials into the road piece outside of the Carpenter and it gets you the same 14-feet stretch of freeway that you get other places for like 1/4 the materials.

Whew.

The BT fights are great once you start getting some weapons.

wunshot 11-13-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2548001)
You are literally told what to do in the upper left hand corner of the HUD. For the first two times that you are in the private quarters you are supposed to take a shower. Anything after that you enter on your own, so obviously, you look at the door and select it.

Yeah. I took a shower. Story didn't progress. Honestly, I'm glad it didn't as it saved me another hour of walking around a wasteland. I'm stubborn enough that if I waste $59.00 on a pre-order, I'm going to give the game multiple chances to redeem itself. Fuck that game. Only time I've wished I had a physical copy, simply so I could send it back to Japan with the message, "Your game fucking sucks".

wunshot 11-13-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2548002)
I put Death Stranding in a similar place I put "simulator" titles like Bus, Train and Truck Simulator: It does not have to be your cup of tea, it just has to be someone's.

I'm personally enjoying that I am playing right now. I love games like Ico and The Last Guardian where most of the fun comes from world exploration and the small story elements are just carrots to keep you going forward.

That's funny. Last Guardian was my least favorite game of all time prior to this one. :)

Evil Avatar 11-13-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2547997)
Yeah, and although I could take a shit, look at some toys on a shelf, look at 4 colored outfits, and look at a fucked up baby in a bottle, there wasn't a single prompt for "leave the room and get the fuck on with this boring ass story".

It's the Triangle button, you look toward the table and the door prompt is behind the table off in the distance. Though if it's your first time in the room, you might have to do some of the other stuff in the room first like take a shower so they can make a pee grenade.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32 PM.