Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Netflix Cancels Daredevil (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257384)

Evil Avatar 11-30-2018 07:44 AM

Netflix Cancels Daredevil

And then there were two. Netflix has canceled Daredevil, leaving only Jessica Jones and The Punisher.

Quote:

The era of Marvel TV on Netflix seems to be coming to an end at the same time Disney is revving up its own streaming service with already announced Loki and Scarlett Witch series for Disney+ coming from Marvelís Kevin Feige led film division. For now, the upcoming new seasons of Jessica Jones and The Punisher are still currently scheduled to run on Netflix as planned, sources say.

Overall, the cancellation of the series starring Cox and Vincent DíOnofrio, who had been tweeting about a forth season in the past few weeks, shows just how strained relations between Netflix and the Jeph Loeb run Marvel TV have become. A far cry from when their multi-series deal was first announced back in 2013 with big smiles and almost bigger plans.

The current state of affairs became painfully evident when the SVOD player abruptly pulled the plug on a third season of Luke Cage last month. One week after Iron Fist was pink slipped, that October 19 cancellation of Harlemís Hero came after the nearly half scripts had been written for a Season 3 and a formal renewal had been considered a foregone conclusion.
Deadline.

Is Netflix pulling the plug, or is it a case of Disney/Marvel starting to circle the wagons for the release of their own streaming service?

Evil Avatar 11-30-2018 07:46 AM

This reminds me of how Marvel cut off all sales of the Fantastic Four comics and took the characters out of all their posters and toys to attempt to force Fox to give them up.

It didn't work, the Fantastic Four movie flopped all on it's own so it was kind of a stupid movie by the comic book line of the company to try to win back a movie license.

Chimpbot 11-30-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2525183)
This reminds me of how Marvel cut off all sales of the Fantastic Four comics and took the characters out of all their posters and toys to attempt to force Fox to give them up.

It didn't work, the Fantastic Four movie flopped all on it's own so it was kind of a stupid movie by the comic book line of the company to try to win back a movie license.

I think that was less about trying to win the license back and more about not wanting to indirectly promote Fox's movie with their comic books.

Evil Avatar 11-30-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525187)
I think that was less about trying to win the license back and more about not wanting to indirectly promote Fox's movie with their comic books.

Marvel had their movie studio up and running back then (pre-Disney sale), so I do think that it was an attempt to push the characters into obscurity so that they could get the license back.

I don't think Netflix has done themselves any favors with the Marvel licenses, only the first season of Daredevil has been decent, the rest were pretty average, but I also have to wonder if they are getting pressure from Disney to give the characters back.

I'm sure that they would LOVE to start using all these characters in movies. How many more times can they do Captain America and Iron Man before people start to tune out? Not to mention that I suspect the Guardians of the Galaxy is DOA.

wunshot 11-30-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2525189)
the rest were pretty average

Even that is pretty generous. I'm a huge Daredevil fan, but the show seemed very cookie cutter and not believable in the least. It should have been much more gritty since it was in Hells Kitchen.

EL CABONG 11-30-2018 10:22 AM

Good. I really like the 3 seasons of DD. Most of the Netflix marvel shows have been disappointing. As these shows slowly get phased out I look forward to hopefully getting some of these characters in the MCU or better(hopefully) versions on Disney s streaming service.

timmyd 11-30-2018 01:02 PM

Stop using subscription services for video entertainment. Buy the content directly from the source. Streaming services should be independent of the content under the pain of being punched in the face.

Otherwise, you end up with some middle man deciding you get to watch Toy Story 65 instead of Dare Devil.

Somebody wants old Hollywood back where the distribution and creation channels were controlled to the point where they could dictate their profit.
YOU will watch CRAP for $XXX.

Terran 11-30-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2525183)

Did the same with the X-Men, literally killing them off and replacing them with an entire new category of 'mutants' called Inhumans.

Such bullshit, honestly. True fans can smell that corporate skat from a mile away and HATE IT. :mad:

Quote:

I suspect the Guardians of the Galaxy is DOA.

Good riddance to bad Bautista rubbish. Terrible acting, laughs like a constipated hyena.

Chimpbot 11-30-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Marvel had their movie studio up and running back then (pre-Disney sale), so I do think that it was an attempt to push the characters into obscurity so that they could get the license back.

Yeah, but that's not how the licenses typically work. These deals typically involve having to make a film within a certain span of time; failing to do so will result in the rights reverting back to the original owner. Marvel/Disney got some of these rights back (such as Ghost Rider, Punisher, and even Daredevil) because of this very situation.

Fox would have held onto the rights to the Fantastic Four (and all applicable characters) regardless of whether or not Marvel continued to publish books with those characters, purely because they made that movie in 2015. The overall obscurity (or lack thereof) of the characters would be irrelevant because the film was still made and released.

Quote:

I don't think Netflix has done themselves any favors with the Marvel licenses, only the first season of Daredevil has been decent, the rest were pretty average, but I also have to wonder if they are getting pressure from Disney to give the characters back.
These shows were all produced by Marvel and ABC studios; they provided all four series to Netflix. Their cancellations would have more to do with Disney starting up their own streaming service than anything else. Netflix never owned the rights to Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, or Jessica Jones; they were always Marvel Studios projects. Netflix was simply the distributor.

Quote:

I'm sure that they would LOVE to start using all these characters in movies. How many more times can they do Captain America and Iron Man before people start to tune out? Not to mention that I suspect the Guardians of the Galaxy is DOA.
They could have been using the characters featured in the Netflix shows the entire time; they always owned the rights. They simply opted not to.

vallor 11-30-2018 04:22 PM

None of these shows were TERRIBLE, most were meh to pretty good.

I suspect what we have here is Disney putting the squeeze to Netflix or deciding to not allow Netflix to use any of their stuff so they all their IPs are now reserved for the Disney service.

Having their IP scattered about has been pretty damaging to Marvel in the past (as people have mentioned with the Fantastic Four and the X-Men) and also to Star Wars since Fox owned the distribution to Ep IV there were some things Lucasfilm simply couldn't do with it (like release a remastered total OG version).

Since they can afford to I don't necessarily blame them for bringing it all back under their roof and I suspect DD and the rest of these Marvel shows probably aren't moving the needle for Netflix subs any more.

I think Kingpin was some of Vincent D'Onofrio's best work and Tom Pelphrey was in top form in both seasons of Iron Fist but, let's face it, those were a couple of the rare exceptions across ALL the series.

Story wise most of the have been pretty meh though there were a few highlights (DD season 1 being a standout) and I'm looking forward to Punisher season 2.

Netflix is probably better off spending their money (and you can be sure Marvel is costing them top dollar) on some other franchise. There's tons of creative stuff out there if they feel the need to stick with comics that are just as (relatively) obscure as Luke Cage and Jessica Jones they could build franchises off of.

When I was getting out of comics I used to turn to Dark Horse to scratch the occasional itch I had for non-cookie cutter stuff; that seemed to be where all the artists and writers who got frustrated with the corporate clamps Marvel and DC put on their work ended up. Maybe Netflix could turn their beams that direction.

Cranium 11-30-2018 07:23 PM

I'm calling it, the golden age of comicbook screen adaptations is over. Lots more derivative drivel to look forwards to of course, but the main veins in the source material is well spent.

Terran 11-30-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cranium (Post 2525235)
I'm calling it, the golden age of comicbook screen adaptations is over. Lots more derivative drivel to look forwards to of course, but the main veins in the source material is well spent.

I think you're right. We'll see another decade of the films, with decreasing returns, until the next big genre push comes along.

Mad Max RW 12-01-2018 07:47 AM

Disney will relaunch some of these shows on their exclusive service. Also I think Netflix didn't make nearly as much money as they expected in the past year and are looking for easy cuts.

MadMurdock_0311 12-01-2018 04:23 PM

I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of this show, but struggled to get into season 3. That said, I'm not really upset at this news.

Azzy 12-01-2018 09:09 PM

Season one and two were great, season three was boring as shit. A side character origin shouldn't take nine episodes. Bullseye could have been created in two episodes with a second showing up to build up the next season.

Also, Jessica Jones sucks. The first season should have only been eight episodes, instead they filled it with hours of her barging into a lawyers office and being an asshole for almost no reason and drinking without ever being drunk.

Grumsh 12-02-2018 01:17 PM

First of all, most of you are now dead to me! Daredevil was awesome, all 3 seasons. All except Iron Fist have been good to great and I am really disappointed in all these cancellations (not surprised though because Disney is terrible for paragraphs worth of reasons). Cranium and Terran are right with Disney taking over all of these shows are going to nose dive into suckiness. Any who doubt this can look towards Star Wars epic (wretched) writing, full of amazing plot devices like.... another Death Star....

These Marvel Netflix shows were creative and told good believable stories that I applaud the entire teams for bringing to the screen. From writers, directors, actors, etc etc all did amazing jobs creating dimensional believable characters who gave you the impression they had human reasons for doing the things they did. The shows avoided many of the disappointing Hollywood cliches and delivered really good content.

I know i won't be jumping on the Disney train they tarnish everything they touch.

Chimpbot 12-02-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumsh (Post 2525283)
First of all, most of you are now dead to me! Daredevil was awesome, all 3 seasons. All except Iron Fist have been good to great and I am really disappointed in all these cancellations (not surprised though because Disney is terrible for paragraphs worth of reasons). Cranium and Terran are right with Disney taking over all of these shows are going to nose dive into suckiness. Any who doubt this can look towards Star Wars epic (wretched) writing, full of amazing plot devices like.... another Death Star....

These Marvel Netflix shows were creative and told good believable stories that I applaud the entire teams for bringing to the screen. From writers, directors, actors, etc etc all did amazing jobs creating dimensional believable characters who gave you the impression they had human reasons for doing the things they did. The shows avoided many of the disappointing Hollywood cliches and delivered really good content.

I know i won't be jumping on the Disney train they tarnish everything they touch.

These shows were produced and made by Marvel Studios since day one. Netflix was just the distributor and had absolutely nothing to do with the production of these shows.

You've been on the Disney Train all along and didn't even realize it.

Mad Max RW 12-02-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525285)
These shows were produced and made by Marvel Studios since day one. Netflix was just the distributor and had absolutely nothing to do with the production of these shows.

You've been on the Disney Train all along and didn't even realize it.

How certain are you of that? From what I read Netflix paid Marvel Studios to produce the shows. The writers and crew worked for Netflix. Some of which are jumping to the Witcher series. All the shows are being canceled because it's either becoming too expensive for them to pay Disney or Disney is unwilling to play ball. Or a combination of both. In any case the writers and crew were left in the dark.

Terran 12-02-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525285)
Netflix was just the distributor and had absolutely nothing to do with the production of these shows.

Incorrect. Much more intertwined and complex than that.

Luke Cage: Disney and Netflix produced.

Daredevil: Disney, Goddard, and DeKnight (long term contract with Netflix) produced.

Iron Fist: Disney, Devilina, Netflix.

Chimpbot 12-02-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2525303)
Incorrect. Much more intertwined and complex than that.

Luke Cage: Disney and Netflix produced.

Daredevil: Disney, Goddard, and DeKnight (long term contract with Netflix) produced.

Iron Fist: Disney, Devilina, Netflix.

All of the shows were produced by Marvel and ABC Studios and shopped to Netflix to be the distributor. They didn't make the shows.