Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reggie Fils-Aime Joins GameStop Board of Directors (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265739)

Evil Avatar 03-10-2020 06:15 AM

Reggie Fils-Aime Joins GameStop Board of Directors
 

Quote:

The gaming industry needs a healthy and vibrant @GameStop. I look forward to being a part of @GameStopCorp Board and helping to make this happen.
This seems like kind of a huge step down from President of Nintendo USA.

PatrickRes9 03-10-2020 06:50 AM

Might be why he left Ninty. Looking for a new challenge. Word on the street is that he, in part, left Nintendo because the long, long hours kept him from his family too much.

Evil Avatar 03-10-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2554911)
Might be why he left Ninty. Looking for a new challenge. Word on the street is that he, in part, left Nintendo because the long, long hours kept him from his family too much.

With the way Gamestop has been performing, he will be back with his family again soon! :p

Juan 03-10-2020 07:01 AM

It cannot be anything more than a money job for him. I mean what can they give him professionally? Their business is doomed to failure, digital sales are eating them alive on one end and Amazon is eating them alive at the other. There aren't may people going into town to buy a videogame anymore.

Chief Smash 03-10-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2554913)
It cannot be anything more than a money job for him. I mean what can they give him professionally? Their business is doomed to failure, digital sales are eating them alive on one end and Amazon is eating them alive at the other. There aren't may people going into town to buy a videogame anymore.

I think younger kids still do, or at least mine do. Kids still like going to the "toy store" to buy their stuff and one of the default places where they get gift cards for birthdays and Christmas is GameStop. And while we've had a bad experience or two there, I hope Reggie can do something to turn their ship around because I like that there's a retail game store. I just want it to be a good one.

Sensei-X 03-10-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2554912)
With the way Gamestop has been performing, he will be back with his family again soon! :p

Yup, and one truck full of money richer lol.

blackzc 03-10-2020 04:25 PM

They couldnt have picked a more likeable guy thats for sure.

Mozgus 03-11-2020 02:29 AM

This is just an easy paycheck for a retired man. Nothing will come of this.

Terran 03-11-2020 04:05 AM

GameStop is doomed, just like Blockbuster was.

PatrickRes9 03-11-2020 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2555001)
GameStop is doomed, just like Blockbuster was.

Every time I hear Blockbuster, I laugh a little. I always forget they really don't exist, because I live in the town with the only remaining one.

Chief Smash 03-11-2020 05:57 AM

I kind of miss Blockbuster. I have fond memories of heading there on a Friday or Saturday night and picking out something to watch. And with on-demand, there's so much there and I end up rarely finishing anything because there's no "due date." I stop a movie saying "I'll finish it later" and then I never do. It's stupid but that's just been my observation.

Terran 03-11-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2555005)
Every time I hear Blockbuster, I laugh a little. I always forget they really don't exist, because I live in the town with the only remaining one.

Wayne Huizenga was a freaking genius. Built a billion dollar company (Waste Management), bailed before it struggled. Built another (Blockbuster), bailed before it went belly-up. Also started AutoNation.

The guy had business balls the size of mountains. Too bad his Dolphins teams sucked.

MadMurdock_0311 03-15-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2555006)
I kind of miss Blockbuster. I have fond memories of heading there on a Friday or Saturday night and picking out something to watch. And with on-demand, there's so much there and I end up rarely finishing anything because there's no "due date." I stop a movie saying "I'll finish it later" and then I never do. It's stupid but that's just been my observation.

I hear you. There is something memorable about going to the old video stores on Friday night, and searching for a movie (or game) for what seemed like eternity.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 PM.