Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sony to reveal new PlayStation 5 details on March 18th (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265887)

Evil Avatar 03-17-2020 01:46 PM

Sony to reveal new PlayStation 5 details on March 18th

Quote:

Tomorrow at 9am Pacific Time, PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny will provide a deep dive into PS5ís system architecture, and how it will shape the future of games.

Watch tomorrow at PlayStation Blog: https://blog.us.playstation.com

brandonjclark 03-17-2020 03:02 PM

I'm ready!

Metal Jesus 03-17-2020 04:47 PM

Honestly...it's going to be hard to top Microsoft's XBOX Series X, especially after watching Digital Foundry's hands on with it over in Redmond. It's a BEAST!

karaliusbronius 03-18-2020 02:29 AM

Quote:

Honestly...it's going to be hard to top Microsoft's XBOX Series X, especially after watching Digital Foundry's hands on with it over in Redmond. It's a BEAST!
Lol, that's what Microsoft wanted you to think. We'll see how you feel after tomorrow.

Evil Avatar 03-18-2020 06:42 AM

Only a couple of hours!

brandonjclark 03-18-2020 08:10 AM

Official Stream

brandonjclark 03-18-2020 08:25 AM

While we wait, check out this master race build... OMFG...

https://i.redd.it/wbekz3r3ydn41.jpg

Wolfgang 03-18-2020 09:48 AM

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ext-gen-vision

PS5 Specs above

Evil Avatar 03-18-2020 09:57 AM

Wow. That was a huge bore. I did not need a math lecture for sure. They could have provided a lot of the same information in a much better format for sure and we still haven’t seen what the system looks like or any idea of price.

It sounds like the Xbox Series X will be slightly more powerful, but at a cost where expanding the drive will run you $250 or more and the PS5 will be able to use whatever off-the-shelf SSD’s there are in the future. That’s a really nice feature.

They didn’t talk much about Backwards compatibility for sure, people were hoping for BC going back to the PS3 at least and they didn’t give a single clue that might happen. Sad.

Ghostblaze 03-18-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2555453)
Wow. That was a huge bore. I did not need a math lecture for sure. They could have provided a lot of the same information in a much better format for sure and we still havenít seen what the system looks like or any idea of price.

It sounds like the Xbox Series X will be slightly more powerful, but at a cost where expanding the drive will run you $250 or more and the PS5 will be able to use whatever off-the-shelf SSDís there are in the future. Thatís a really nice feature.

They didnít talk much about Backwards compatibility for sure, people were hoping for BC going back to the PS3 at least and they didnít give a single clue that might happen. Sad.

PC gaming all the way! I sure as shit am not giving up my fully backwards compatible PS3 though.

brandonjclark 03-18-2020 10:51 AM

Mark Cerny is a lizard.

Prove me wrong.

brandonjclark 03-18-2020 10:53 AM

The PS5 will have:

8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz
10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (custom-made by AMD)
16GB GDDR6/256-bit
Custom 825GB SSD

https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/p...ing-the-specs/
https://i.imgur.com/OMzvUrG.png

brandonjclark 03-18-2020 10:57 AM

Frankly, the Xbox is faster and better in every way.

Yes, that means it SHOULD cost more.

However, these are such jumps in power (from last generation) that gamers might not notice between the systems.

That's my take.

Metal Jesus 03-18-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2555456)
The PS5 will have:

8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz
10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (custom-made by AMD)
16GB GDDR6/256-bit
Custom 825GB SSD

https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/18/p...ing-the-specs/
https://i.imgur.com/OMzvUrG.png

Thanks for the summary. So...yeah...basically the XBOX Series X is the beast next gen, at least to start. Kinda like the XBOX One X is the current powerhouse system. And with Microsoft focusing on acquiring more first party devs, I think they are sitting pretty good at this point

vallor 03-18-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2555459)
Thanks for the summary. So...yeah...basically the XBOX Series X is the beast next gen, at least to start. Kinda like the XBOX One X is the current powerhouse system. And with Microsoft focusing on acquiring more first party devs, I think they are sitting pretty good at this point

Unfortunately few of those devs they are acquiring have the talent to take advantage of the hardware MS is putting out.

I am far from a Sony fanboy however:

Microsoft needs an Epic making a Gears of War or Bungie making a Halo level revolutionary game, not a Coalition or 343 making an evolutionary game. As many Obsidian and AA developers they've picked none of them are going to do shit to push this hardware no matter how much collective Unity indie game development they have between them.

In the meantime Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac, and other first party Sony devs are going to push the shit out of their hardware. The first year will be very telling.

Maybe MS first party grows into the hardware like a 9-year old grows into shoes 4 sizes to big but it is going to take years.

Evil Avatar 03-18-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2555459)

Hard to say, that Cerny guy was trying to make the argument that because the PS5 CPU is custom and not an off-the-shelf part that the flat number of TFLOPS doesn't tell the full story of how fast the CPU will be.

As a Sony fanboy, I would point out that MS acquiring lots of studios who haven't made very good games isn't going to pay off. Look at Obsidian, everyone made such a huge deal out of Microsoft buying them and their last game was just "Meh."

Inkabodcrane 03-18-2020 04:21 PM

Either way you go, these consoles are pretty badass. Everyone on the internet likes to talk about the exclusives, but those aren't even what sells the most. Multiplatform games outsell exclusives by far. The recent Sony game "Dreams" didn't even crack the top 10 last I checked. Every once in awhile an exclusive will blow up and sell 5-10 million copies, which is a huge success. But COD, RDR, MK11, etc sell 10+ million and are what everyone watches on Twitch and they have all the attention and hype.

This week's DOOM, last week's COD Warzone, and of course Fortnite etc are what everyone cares about. Sure Last of Us 2 will have a brief moment of attention and get the IGN's of the world talking, but it just won't have the hold over gamers like those games used to. I am speaking in broad terms of course, because it will sell just fine, but times have changed.

Just look at the best selling games last year. The only exclusives on the list are Nintendo stuff.

I could be wrong, but when I look at consoles without having any bias, I just don't see exclusives being that big of a deal anymore. They're cool and great, but for the larger portion of the audience, they aren't the end all. Just like people buying up toilet paper just because everyone else is, that's what will happen with consoles. Whatever people start buying first will catch on.

Clancy 03-18-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2555453)
Wow. That was a huge bore. I did not need a math lecture for sure. They could have provided a lot of the same information in a much better format for sure and we still havenít seen what the system looks like or any idea of price.

To be fair, this whole presentation was meant for a completely different audience, it was supposed to be at GDC, but, that got canned, so they did it like they did it.

Quote:

It sounds like the Xbox Series X will be slightly more powerful, but at a cost where expanding the drive will run you $250 or more and the PS5 will be able to use whatever off-the-shelf SSDís there are in the future. Thatís a really nice feature.
Actually, no, not just any SSD you can use, it is going to require certification since not all SSDs are created equally. So, if you see a sale on them now, don't get them yet.

XBX went with the custom option for the very fast storage (tied to PCIe 4.0), but, it has other ports that you can use to hook up cheaper stuff, that is all USB 3.2, so, still very fast and yes, you can also use a USB 3.2 capable SSD.
Quote:

They didnít talk much about Backwards compatibility for sure, people were hoping for BC going back to the PS3 at least and they didnít give a single clue that might happen. Sad.
This is where XBX shines, they have lots of backwards compatible game, which is also nice.

If MS could do it, one has to wonder why Sony can't, or perhaps won't?

I am betting we will see prices around $550-$650 range, hard to know how much of a loss these guys are gonna take upfront.

RAV 03-19-2020 04:12 AM

I am super excited about this year for all the cool hardware coming. I'm not exactly a console guy, but I'm pumped for them, really giddy on all the specs. The coolest part is how this will become the bottom line standard for games development. It's like a peak into the future of what small and affordable PCs will look like eventually.

Oh man, if only someone would jailbreak the consoles soon and I could use them as regular pc, that would be awesome. But it won't take too long until the APU tech of the consoles spills over to regular PC components. I am so looking forward to be able to build small and cheap hardware on this level of performance. The new processors coming out for Notebooks from AMD next month or so will be already pretty badass.

shadow763 03-19-2020 06:12 AM

Guessing next gen will play out like this gen has for me. PS5 for exclusives and 3rd party games I will play with friends, Xbox for all other 3rd party games. Gamepass is still great as well. If PSNow would get a few more bigger games each month it would be closer to gamepass.