Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sony Unveils PlayStation 5 Logo & Details (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264656)

Chief Smash 01-09-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551356)

I don't even remember the name of that game now. Didn't someone here say it got boring pretty fast? Heck it might have even been you.

ElektroDragon 01-09-2020 02:01 PM

Look, I AGREE with Evil that Sony has had way better and more exclusives this gen. What I DON'T agree with him on is when he basically says as a result "xbox haz no gamez, hur hur" as if multiplats (the vast majority of games!) don't count. He also ignores the fact that MS is desperately still trying to erase the mistakes of that IDIOT Don Mattrick who brought the brand to its knees by release a weak console made for "TV & Kinect" and getting rid of all possible exclusives and in house studios to focus only on Halo, Forza, Gears. It's almost like Mattrick was a secret Sony plant or secret PS fanboy. Evil ignores all the steps to rectify all that mistake making as well as the fact that Microsoft has been buying a BOATLOAD of quality studios lately to get good exclusives again.

Microsoft SEES they were pwned with better hardware and better/more exclusives for most of this gen and have worked furiously to turn it around. Evil chooses to ignore this. He is NOT being objective. Yes, God of War, Spider-Man, Days Gone, and Death Stranding are all fantastic games, better than just about anything on Xbox except Forza Horizon series. This should change next gen so both consoles are more even in terms of blockbuster exclusives. This doesn't change the fact that X1X and Series X are and will be WAY BETTER PLATFORMS for the multiplatform games, or that Sony can't touch the quality of Forza with anything in-house. GT is a joke.

PatrickRes9 01-09-2020 02:06 PM

Look, I AGREE when I say my PC wrecks all the consoles trying to be PCs and the Switch is a great travel supplement, and nothing else is needed.

Evil Avatar 01-09-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2551374)
I don't even remember the name of that game now. Didn't someone here say it got boring pretty fast? Heck it might have even been you.

It has a mountain of story, though the main missions are about all the same. "Go kill some freaks." "Go kill lots of freaks." "Go kill some bad dudes." "Go kill so many freaks that you are running for your life the whole time."

In the end though, it was pretty addicting and fun. I played a ton of it.

SpectralThundr 01-09-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2551389)
Look, I AGREE with Evil that Sony has had way better and more exclusives this gen. What I DON'T agree with him on is when he basically says as a result "xbox haz no gamez, hur hur" as if multiplats (the vast majority of games!) don't count. He also ignores the fact that MS is desperately still trying to erase the mistakes of that IDIOT Don Mattrick who brought the brand to its knees by release a weak console made for "TV & Kinect" and getting rid of all possible exclusives and in house studios to focus only on Halo, Forza, Gears. It's almost like Mattrick was a secret Sony plant or secret PS fanboy. Evil ignores all the steps to rectify all that mistake making as well as the fact that Microsoft has been buying a BOATLOAD of quality studios lately to get good exclusives again.

Microsoft SEES they were pwned with better hardware and better/more exclusives for most of this gen and have worked furiously to turn it around. Evil chooses to ignore this. He is NOT being objective. Yes, God of War, Spider-Man, Days Gone, and Death Stranding are all fantastic games, better than just about anything on Xbox except Forza Horizon series. This should change next gen so both consoles are more even in terms of blockbuster exclusives. This doesn't change the fact that X1X and Series X are and will be WAY BETTER PLATFORMS for the multiplatform games, or that Sony can't touch the quality of Forza with anything in-house. GT is a joke.

Spiderman was decent. Not sold on the rest of the titles you listed.

Evil Avatar 01-09-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2551389)
Evil ignores all the steps to rectify all that mistake making as well as the fact that Microsoft has been buying a BOATLOAD of quality studios lately to get good exclusives again.

Microsoft SEES they were pwned with better hardware and better/more exclusives for most of this gen and have worked furiously to turn it around. Evil chooses to ignore this. He is NOT being objective. Yes, God of War, Spider-Man, Days Gone, and Death Stranding are all fantastic games, better than just about anything on Xbox except Forza Horizon series. This should change next gen so both consoles are more even in terms of blockbuster exclusives. This doesn't change the fact that X1X and Series X are and will be WAY BETTER PLATFORMS for the multiplatform games, or that Sony can't touch the quality of Forza with anything in-house. GT is a joke.

You can't buy B and C quality studios and expect to get AAA quality games. That just isn't how life works. Look at The Coalition. MS put together a whole studio to create Gears of Wars games and the two games they have produced so far have both been average-to-poor quality.

Expecting MS to suddenly start churning out good games by buying up studios that weren't making good games in the first place is a fantasy.

Look at Obsidian... Outer Worlds just isn't that great of a game. It's not terrible, but it's also nothing special. Do you think that now that they are owned by MS that they will suddenly start making better games than what they were making before?

I think there may be people at Microsoft who grasp that there is a problem, I don't see that there is anyone over there who understands how to fix it, because if they did they have had an entire generation to turn things around. It's 2020 now, the Xbox One was launched in 2013. That's 7 years they have had to turn things around and it hasn't happened, when the average AAA quality game only takes around 24 months to create.

Their big idea so far has been to throw more and more SKU's out in the world hoping that somehow it makes up for a lack of exclusives. Now they are already saying that the Series X is just one SKU in the new lineup.

They continue to make the same mistakes.

Evil Avatar 01-09-2020 05:38 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...cf1afc7a_z.jpg

Evil Avatar 01-09-2020 05:39 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...66d8854c_z.jpg

Evil Avatar 01-09-2020 05:48 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c57a82ef_z.jpg

And that isn't all of them. I think you get the idea, Sony has cranked out not one or two exclusives... they have cranked out dozens of them. MS has focused in on Gears, Halo & Forza. They tried to do something new with Sea of Thieves, then wouldn't even let Rare finish up the game and rushed it to market unfinished and it died. Too bad, I like the art style. If they had made an actual game it could have been a real jewel. The same thing is true for State of Decay 2. It got rushed out to market buggy and unfinished and it just died.

SpectralThundr 01-09-2020 06:04 PM

I think you over rate Sony's exclusives just a bit there Evil. To each their own and all but imo from TLOU to Horizon Zero Dawn which I couldn't get into although I sincerely tried to, and even Fed Ex Sim..er Death Stranding, these are all average titles that aren't all that special.

Evil Avatar 01-09-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2551405)
I think you over rate Sony's exclusives just a bit there Evil. To each their own and all but imo from TLOU to Horizon Zero Dawn which I couldn't get into although I sincerely tried to, and even Fed Ex Sim..er Death Stranding, these are all average titles that aren't all that special.

The point is that Sony has exclusives. MS has focused almost totally on new hardware and their three main franchises and while the Xbox One X is slightly better performing than the PS4 Pro, the difference isn't enough to justify buying a system with less games.

I expect we will see the exact same thing again. The Xbox Series X might be slightly better than the PS5, but will lag behind Sony for games.

ElektroDragon 01-10-2020 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551410)
The point is that Sony has exclusives. MS has focused almost totally on new hardware and their three main franchises and while the Xbox One X is slightly better performing than the PS4 Pro, the difference isn't enough to justify buying a system with less games.

I expect we will see the exact same thing again. The Xbox Series X might be slightly better than the PS5, but will lag behind Sony for games.

OK.... NOW that you put some effort into your arguments (thank you) instead of "haha, no games", I find it hard to disagree, and yes those Sony games are fantastic and fresh and not the same old IP done to death.

I love Obsidian, and now they bought inXile too, and Doublefine, and a bunch of other amazing, but small, studios. I am hoping that yes, the amazing B games with lots of MS cash (have you SEEN their market cap lately?!) will create AAA game studios. But I concur it is slightly wishful thinking.

In the end the reason I switched back to Xbox One X from PS4 Pro is not the games at all. It is simply that:

1) X1X is miles quieter and SUBSTANTIALLY more powerful than the Pro (not just a little.) It's literally 4 vs 6 teraflops. The X1X is a full 33% more powerful and much quieter.

2) I missed Achievements, because I got tired of trophies. Unlike achievements, the more trophies you get, the harder it is to raise your trophy level, and I'm not the kind of gamer who has a lot of success getting Platinums. Xbox copied some features like rarity from Sony which really helped too.

But this is only because I can easily afford both. I would not DREAM of not buying a PS5, and if someone came to me and said, YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE. Well then I'd HAVE to pick Sony. Not just because of better exclusives, but because the controller feels better too, if it didn't have such garbage triggers (STILL.)

But I don't have to have just one... so I get the best of both worlds, the great Sony exclusives AND the raw horsepower, better graphics, and quiet of the Xbox. I guess Xbox is forced to beat on power because they can't beat on games.

Your argument about them not doing enough in 7 years.... Well, first Mattrick had to leave, that took a while. And Kinect had to die. And then, well, it's much faster to design super strong hardware than to build amazing studios like Sony from the ground up. But it will happen eventually because Microsoft has something Sony never will: RIDICULOUS BOATLOADS OF CASH.

vallor 01-12-2020 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551399)
You can't buy B and C quality studios and expect to get AAA quality games.

Actually that's the ONLY way it works these days. For every "Amazing right out of the gate!" studio like Naughty Dog there are dozens and dozens making AA or B content. Sony knows this which is why after a string of mediocre titles when Insomniac hit it with Spiderman Sony bought them.

I mean perhaps the biggest case in point is Bungie who was, at best, an A studio when MS bought them. Epic hadn't really done anything notable in years when MS signed them for Gears of War with them on Gears of War (farm more heavy lifting was done on the MS side than people realize that first time around).

If Tencent hadn't come in (and if MS hadn't pissed Epic off so much) it might have become an internal studio making games but also making the engine that powered all of MS's games.

MS has been trying to find AAA studios for a while now but there just aren't enough out there. Now they have a few A studios, and most would argue that The Outer Worlds is a smash and great game, unlike you who adds -20 review points because now Obsidian is an MS studio.

Let's see if they can build another Bungie.

Chief Smash 01-12-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2551548)
Sony knows this which is why after a string of mediocre titles when Insomniac hit it with Spiderman Sony bought them

Well Insomniac mad a great history. The couple of mediocre games you mentioned were basically a fluke. They made some very well received games before, so Spider-Man didnít come out of nowhere.

blackzc 01-12-2020 07:52 PM

New consoles are cool, but i don't even see how this E3 even matters.

Maybe im getting old but....shooter shooter, sports, f2p shooter, edgy artsy indie crap, no mid card stuff. Next to no innovation. P5 bru, you buy, 3 jobs to pay for, muh graphics, enemy crab! Show the world how you have given up! Play more games!! That'll show em!

Live in your world, hide from it ours. :D

Its just on autopilot at this point. Who really cares? Even nintendo is coasting. Oh, another PSP port that cost $30. haha... So many suckers...

I mean FFS, how many different ways can i sit on my fatass and press a button?

BRB, gonna go play my Pi3 with a filled up 400gb sd card. What more does a disgruntled Gen X'r need?

Nothing. Thats what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551403)

* squints

Is this pic from 2006?

My revelation that we live in a post media world and that some of us have not yet seen this stands.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 PM.