Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo Switch Is 10 Times More Powerful Than an iPad (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244046)

Chimpbot 03-14-2017 01:11 PM

Nintendo Switch Is 10 Times More Powerful Than an iPad

Engineering and product development consultancy Mindtribe has disassembled the Nintendo Switch and released their findings today.

Quote:

When first opening the device, we are instantly drawn to the injection molding marks left on the plastic back piece of the Switch. A stamped-in date shows a production date of Nov 15, 2016 – showing they had the production line up and running for a while now.

It takes time to manufacture millions of units!

The NVIDIA Tegra produces some serious heat, which is why it’s important to activate a cooling system — you wouldn’t want to burn the hands of millions of gamers. Many commentators might call the Switch a glorified tablet but, in reality, it’s around 10x more powerful than your average iPad, thanks to the Tegra. The cooling system uses an amazingly thin heat pipe (a squashed copper tube filled with coolant) with a small radiator and fan, including vibration damping rubber mount, at the end.

A very high tech solution crammed into an impressively small package.
Mindtribe also noted the robust USB-C connector, which acts as the point for both charging and data transfer. As an obvious potential failure point, the connector is soldered in multiple locations and the cover is both "spot-welded" and screwed into place.

The full teardown report can be found here.

Sources: Fortune, Mindtribe

Although the statement, "...10 times more powerful than an average iPad" is difficult to qualify (and is a tad dubious), there's a lot more going on under the Switch's hood than most anticipated.

Emabulator 03-14-2017 01:51 PM

I have a second gen iPad Mini and the thing is a dog. Good for watching TV via the Optimum app and reading, though.

Anemone 03-14-2017 01:58 PM

Wow, so it actually is a heat-pipe, amazing for being so thin.

And I'm not surprised it's more powerful than an Ipad, Apple doesn't have a lot of incentive to keep up on specs within their captive audience, and it would only hurt their older ipad audience to update specs and have new apps out that can't be run on the old pad, so maybe it's intentional.

That plus the lack of an active cooling solution in the Ipad would make it impossible to compete.

I can see Nintendo producing a much slicker-looking Switch-successor, named perhaps "Switcher," someday that looks a bit like a huge Galaxy S8, dual-size glass but with tough corners and edges. Without the constraint of needing to go in a pocket or purse, they can use thicker, stronger glass, make it much more robust than a cellphone.

Suicidal ShiZuru 03-14-2017 02:09 PM

If that wasn't a real heat pipe the thing would die quickly since they went cheap on the actual install and used layers of shims and paste instead of more direct contact to the SoC/GPU. It pumps some serious heat out the top with that fan and they rely on those metal shrouds for dissipation as well as protection.

https://image.ibb.co/iZNCDv/ngngng.jpg

Anemone 03-14-2017 02:31 PM

From that photo looks like it has close contact, it just also has a lot of past, and a copper sheet above the further spread heat to the steel shroud up there, which seems reasonably effective, a compromise between making the whole shroud out of copper, and not using copper at all.

dirtbag 03-14-2017 04:49 PM

I'd love to get an episode of 'How It's Made' on this

MajorEzyTarget 03-14-2017 06:19 PM

We'll, Nintendo, when you can match half of an ipads battery length, I'll then be impressed, but 3 hours of battery is useless to me.

AkumaATR 03-14-2017 06:35 PM

10x more powerful MY ASS. Haven't you guys seen the mobile chipset progress made over the years? The new iPad feels on par with a 360, and the resolution is much higher. There's no way. Zelda uses dynamic resolution, this would not be needed, nor would there be frame drops if this thing was 10x as powerful as an iPad. Despite that being technical, you can dig down, I don't care if they're talking about CPU or GPU -- no way.

ashikenshin 03-14-2017 06:39 PM

nintendo "quality"

Good thing I didn't board this hype train. I'm very unlucky with this type of thing and living in the third world the replacement would have been a pain in the ass.

Also, lol this thing isn't 10x as powerful as an ipad, much less as an iPad pro.

Kreigmstr 03-14-2017 06:45 PM

So, it's about twice as fast as the Nvidia Shield K1. (Tegra k1 proc) My Shield hasn't had a problem with heat yet. Don't use it for graphics intensive stuff though.

Anemone 03-14-2017 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtbag (Post 2477084)
I'd love to get an episode of 'How It's Made' on this

Here's a decent tear down at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETN97XOx4ZY

blackzc 03-14-2017 09:51 PM

Fuck Nintendo. Hazbens.

This thing is a goddam dreamcast on a chip.

ElektroDragon 03-14-2017 10:09 PM

BULLSHIT its 10 times more powerful than my iPad Pro. Maybe the iPad 1! Ha!

blackzc 03-14-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2477121)

Dude, my phone is more powerful than this shit. Nintendo why wont you die? Youll cowards cant even into modern hardware.

Hellstorm 03-14-2017 10:53 PM

Huh, well 200+ CUDA cores VS 12 PowerVR cores is a big difference. Peeps be jelly.

Anemone 03-14-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2477114)
Fuck Nintendo. Hazbens.

This thing is a goddam dreamcast on a chip.

Aw come on, it's at least like 1.2 Dreamcasts. Fucking infinite planes, yo.

Hellstorm 03-14-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2477125)
Aw come on, it's at least like 1.2 Dreamcasts. Fucking infinite planes, yo.

Bruh, the tile based rendering on the Dreamcast was a pain, especially with overlapping alphas.

Anemone 03-14-2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellstorm (Post 2477128)
Bruh, the tile based rendering on the Dreamcast was a pain, especially with overlapping alphas.

But it looked so goddamn good!

Evil Avatar 03-15-2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2477121)

Exactly right. 10x more powerful than the old iPad 1. Not the newer iPads.

Evil Avatar 03-15-2017 12:52 AM

Wait... did anyone else actually read that article? It doesn't compare hardware specifications at all. All they did was take the system apart. How do they get "10x more powerful than an iPad" if they didn't run any comparisons or compare chipsets???