Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Other Captain Marvel has $56 Million Opening Weekend (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259827)

Evil Avatar 04-08-2019 06:58 AM

The Other Captain Marvel has $56 Million Opening Weekend

Shazam! said the magic word and opened at the #1 box office spot, without breaking any records and or beating the opening weekend of Marvel's Ant-Man ($57.2 Million).

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of April 5th to April 7th, 2019.
  1. Shazam! $53.4/$56.7
  2. Pet Sematary $25.0/$25.0
  3. Dumbo $18.2/$76.2
  4. Us $13.8/$152.3
  5. Captain Marvel $12.6/$374.1
  6. The Best of Enemies $4.5/$4.5
  7. Five Feet Apart $3.7/$41.5
  8. Unplanned $3.2/$12.4
  9. Wonder Park $2.0/$41.9
  10. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World $1.9/$156.6
  11. Hotel Mumbai $1.7/$6.3
  12. Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral $1.1/$72.1

NightRain 04-08-2019 07:15 AM

I saw Shazam! on Thursday with my daughter. We both really enjoyed it, it was pretty much what I hoped it would be and mostly better than I expected it to me. It was fun and had some great moments, totally worth watching.

Evil Avatar 04-08-2019 08:13 AM

I posted before that it was Ok, but pretty average. And pretty average has become the norm for superhero movies right now. I think the burnout is going to be coming unless they can start to step things up a bit beyond just introducing a new hero every summer.

vallor 04-08-2019 08:18 AM

I believe the OTHER Captain Marvel broke 1 billion this weekend world-wide. Proving to the world as long as you have the right IP and have the media and high powered PR machine on your side you can indeed insult your fan base and they will happily eat the shit sandwich.

I am fully expecting "Star Wars Ep9: You Are Owned and Don't You Forget It Now Give Us Your Money" to break all records previously set by any movie to date in every way conceivable.

NACIONAL 04-08-2019 08:53 AM

I saw Captain Marvel and I have to say.. it was pretty meh. Brie Larson can show an emotional range better than a wooden plank but not that much.

It was pretty average and the action scenes weren't that great either. The best part was the interaction between Fury and the cat.

I guess they HAD to create a standalone movie before Avengers, but to me it felt pretty much rushed.

Chimpbot 04-08-2019 09:29 AM

I got to check out Pet Sematary on Thursday. The directors were even at the showing for a bit; sometimes it pays to be in King country.

It was enjoyable enough, although I feel like they relied far too much on jump scares and didn't quite do as good of a job at building up the atmosphere. I liked some of the changes they made, such as making the burial area much more supernatural than the old "Indian burial ground" trope. The "surprise twist" that was spoiled by the trailers made things feel a bit more threatening than in the original movie or the book, as well.

It's not the best horror movie I've seen, but it was enjoyable enough and the directors definitely had plenty of passion and care for the material.

Mad Max RW 04-08-2019 09:41 AM

I watched Dragged Across Concrete and enjoyed it but it is without question S. Craig Zahler‘s weakest film. Mel Gibson is great. Vince Vaughn was good. The standout for me was Jennifer Carpenter, even though her screentime is a handful of minutes. What happens to her character was so out there and fucked. Unfair in a way intended by the filmmaker. I hope Zahler learns more because I really want to see his next thing. Unlike Refn who hooked me for a while until his head went too far up his own ass. At the end of the day I would not recommend Dragged Across Concrete to most people. Watch Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Bone Tomahawk.

excalibur1814 04-08-2019 11:26 AM

I liked Shazam, which was nothing special, but vastly preferred Captain Marvel. You want to see abilities, action, not stumbling around and doing 'not a great deal' with the ip. Hopefully, if there ever is one, Shazam 2 will be much better.

P.s. I cannot believe that there's SO many annoyed (Butt-hurt was a bit harsh, so changed that) men over what Brie said. She said nothing crazy, or scary, which leads me to believe that a LOT of people are led by the media and headlines.

RAV 04-08-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2535015)
P.s. I cannot believe that there's SO many butt-hurt men over what Brie said. She said nothing crazy, or scary, which leads me to believe that a LOT of people are led by the media and headlines.

Yes, yes, if only Brie knew that you will always be there for her. All these other guys just don't know how to treat women.

Chief Smash 04-08-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2535015)
P.s. I cannot believe that there's SO many butt-hurt men over what Brie said. She said nothing crazy, or scary, which leads me to believe that a LOT of people are led by the media and headlines.

Let me try too! "Butthurt man child can't come to grips with adults not choosing to see his girl hero movie." How'd I do?

It's not like everyone who bowed out of seeing Captain Marvel was sitting around their houses, stewing in rage. Not seeing a certain movie is an extremely easy choice to make when your world is filled with way more entertainment than hours in which to enjoy it all. I didn't even read what she said until just now. Yeah it wasn't terrible by Hollywood standards. She sounds like she was pouting that people didn't like Wrinkle in Time. When it comes down to it, to me Captain marvel just doesn't look interesting. On top of it, my wife and kids showed zero interest in it and that saves me about a $60 trip to the movies. That's not butthurt. That's choosing to do something else with your time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAV (Post 2535016)
Yes, yes, if only Brie knew that you will always be there for her. All these other guys just don't know how to treat women.

These boards need a thumbs up option for posts.

Terran 04-08-2019 12:39 PM

Shazam? Fun, forgettable, save your money for a home viewing.

Captain Marvel? Go see it yourselves, shills. Not interested in mediocre feminazisplaining. :D

Inkabodcrane 04-08-2019 07:08 PM

I posted in the other thread, I liked Shazam! and can't find many faults with it. It was a really fun and enjoyable film. I will watch it again eventually at home. But it does lack the gravitas and depth of my favorite comic films, the darker DC films like MoS, BvS, and TDK. It's definitely more kid friendly, but that's okay, it was still fun to watch.

Pet Sematary was sluggish and boring at times. I am a huge horror film watcher, I'll watch almost anything horror, and I was nodding off a few times. The best thing about the film was the performance by John Lithgow and the cinematography, the area in which they shot the film was beautiful and I'd love to live there; the rest of the cast was uninteresting. I had high hopes for it but it was a disappointment. It's too bad because I loved these directors' previous film "Starry Eyes." It's one of my favorites of the last decade.

BenSkywlkr 04-08-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

P.s. I cannot believe that there's SO many butt-hurt men over what Brie said.
She said there were too many white men involved. Personally, I'm being genuinely respectful and not seeing her movie, one less white man, right?

That's not butt hurt, that is listening to her exact words and respecting her wishes. I'm sure there are people that would love to mansplain how that isn't what she meant, but I am listening to her exact words. Now if someone comes out and says there are too many black women involved in Black Panther, are you also going to be OK with that statement? From a reality perspective both are inbred hillbilly KKK type drivel, I expect you'll also defend the bigots who come from the other side?

vallor 04-08-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr (Post 2535055)
Now if someone comes out and says there are too many black women involved in Black Panther, are you also going to be OK with that statement? From a reality perspective both are inbred hillbilly KKK type drivel, I expect you'll also defend the bigots who come from the other side?

Oh, you must have must have missed the hypocrisy. They said this is a movie for girls and women. Released on International Women's Day. Shouted the virtue of the female (intersectional) female cast and crew to all that would listen.

Same coin, different face.

Quote:

Off and onstage, Larson has continued to be a powerful proponent of female empowerment. An active member of the Time’s Up movement, Larson was one of the first actors to adopt inclusion riders in her contracts that mandate diversity in casting and production staff.
I too have chosen to not watch the movie. Disney isn't going to get my Dollars beyond Endgame for any movie or franchise be it Marvel, Toy Story, or Star Wars. I can only do my little bit but that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the white knighting and mental contortions people make to justify attacks on their own existence as they are demonized as the manifestation of all evil in the world today.

But Maybe Excalibur isn't a male at all, just a troll.

SpectralThundr 04-08-2019 11:53 PM

Time's up on what? White men? Traditional marriage? The evil patriarchy? Liberal Regressives like Brie Larson are the perfect example of why progressive ideology is batshit fucking insanity.

excalibur1814 04-09-2019 09:27 AM

You see... some of the posts above prove the point. I've listened to what she had to say and I'm fine with it. Cool. great.

If Sly turned up, stating that Rambo 9 was a 'man' film filled with gore, I also wouldn't bat an eyelid. If he said that there were too many dudes interviewing, then I also wouldn't care. He's in a position to see what goes on.

Yorkie isn't for girls! (OMG FREAK OUT THE WORLD GOES MAD)

We're living in the 'headline to grab attention' years. Keep on drinking whatever you're fed. Keep the hate going. Breath it in, bath in it, spread it... repeat.

The film made a fortune. Nice. I also hope Shazam makes a fortune.

Chief Smash 04-09-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2535088)
You see... some of the posts above prove the point. I've listened to what she had to say and I'm fine with it. Cool. great.

If Sly turned up, stating that Rambo 9 was a 'man' film filled with gore, I also wouldn't bat an eyelid. If he said that there were too many dudes interviewing, then I also wouldn't care. He's in a position to see what goes on.

We're living in the 'headline to grab attention' years. Keep on drinking whatever you're fed. Keep the hate going. Breath it in, bath in it, spread it... repeat.

It's a setup. I have no problem with someone telling me that a movie isn't for me (as long as someone else can do the same to them.... this game isn't for women... this show isn't for whoever.... etc.) But if someone is going to call you butthurt for then not going to see the movie that isn't for me, I'll take some issue.

RAV 04-09-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2535088)

Your posts also prove the point. You are dishonest, delusional and unintentionally comical.
Regardless of how you personally feel about it, you know full well what would happen if the underlying themes of the movie and comments by the actors were turned around.
Nothing but hate and shame and bad headlines by many outlets, and worse. I don't really care what you claim, I am pretty sure you would have been somewhere in there "defending the girls".
I'm not sure how to break it to you, but I doubt the millionaire actors and producers in Hollywood need your emotional support. I doubt anyone really gives a damn. They sure got their money from this stunt.
It's kinda laughable to watch you stand up for that. There are many abused, broken and poor men out there no one cares about. That's natural. So go save your millionaire celebrity princess spitting down on the nasty horde.

Terran 04-09-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAV (Post 2535091)
There are many abused, broken and poor men out there no one cares about.

Truth. It'll be a real hoot when they're told they have to pay reparation taxes to wealthy black men on the coasts, because WHITE PRIVILEGE! :rolleyes:

excalibur1814 04-09-2019 01:31 PM

Shazam is going to get a sequel. Cool. The second should be better. :)