Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mark Hamill Pitched a Different Ending for The Force Awakens to JJ Abrams (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259897)

Emabulator 04-11-2019 10:33 AM

Mark Hamill Pitched a Different Ending for The Force Awakens to JJ Abrams

Quote:

Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker himself, recently described a different ending to Star Wars: The Force Awakens that he pitched to director J.J. Abrams that would have been a touching call-back to A New Hope.

Talking to The Hollywood Reporter on the Awards Chatter Podcast for his role in History's Knightfall, their discussion eventually went to Star Wars. During their conversation, Hamill revealed a pitch he gave to Abrams that would have led to the reunion of Luke, Leia, and Han.

“You can still have me come in at the very end,” Hamill explains. “But how about this? Leia’s trying to contact me telepathically. She gets frustrated because there’s no answer so she rushes to the new Death Star…that's three so far...and she almost gets there when she’s stopped by two Stormtroopers. Just before she’s abducted, one Stormtrooper turns to the other and blows him away, pulls off his helmet and says, “Hi sis, I’m here to rescue you.”

Hamill thought that would have "blown the roof of the joint." What's more, this scene would have led to the inevitable death of Han Solo with Luke and Leia there to be with him at the end.

“It's more effective to have people that really have a history with Han Solo witness his death and be unable to stop it. His wife, the mother of his child, his best friend. Instead of two characters that have known him what...20 minutes?"
IGN

NACIONAL 04-11-2019 01:26 PM

He should have pitched other stories for The Last Jedi...

What a dreadful plot and moronic decissions for all characters.

Terran 04-11-2019 03:39 PM

They've taken something very special and ruined it. It's really a shame.

MechaDangerous 04-11-2019 05:38 PM

I've been entertained enough by the new trilogy so far that I don't mind the decisions they've made. I wouldn't have minded a different "ending" for Luke, but it is what it is and I still thought the films have been a fun ride. Can't wait for the next film!

Metal Jesus 04-11-2019 05:56 PM

That's way better than the "I'm so tired...I'm just gonna lie down and take a death nap" ending we got.

Skunk 04-11-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NACIONAL (Post 2535249)
He should have pitched other stories for The Last Jedi...

He did.

Mark hasn't been at all quiet or subtle about how he feels about the direction of the new movies. Last Jedi in particular. It's all over YouTube.

Until TFA, I didn't know he was still so attached to Luke's character on a deep, personal level. I think he was truly hurt to find out he had basically a minute or less of screen time without a single word of dialogue for TFA.

Primus 04-11-2019 08:57 PM

These new movies have been pretty terrible, even worse than the prequels IMHO.

It was really sad seeing Hamill acting like a Vietnam War prisoner basically trying to Morse code us that the movies were bad during the press cycle. I feel like he really holds the franchise and fanbase in reverence and wanted to be a part of something special as a followup, but he was severely hindered by Disney and the hacks helming each film.

vallor 04-11-2019 09:37 PM

You should hear how excited Rian Johnston is about the idea JJ may be retconning Rey's parentage.

He just can't wait to see it happen.

I just hope these movies become unofficial. Like Highlander 2.

ElektroDragon 04-11-2019 10:07 PM

I thought the existing ending was great. Hamill's ending is the corniest, cheesiest melodramatic fan service crap I've ever heard. Like a bad 70s soap opera.

ElektroDragon 04-11-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2535277)
You should hear how excited Rian Johnston is about the idea JJ may be retconning Rey's parentage.

He just can't wait to see it happen.

I just hope these movies become unofficial. Like Highlander 2.

And again, I'm glad Rey's parents were nobodies. What's with the excitement over elitist royal lineage or some such? It's 2019, anyone can be a hero, that was the point.

Chief Smash 04-12-2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2535282)
And again, I'm glad Rey's parents were nobodies. What's with the excitement over elitist royal lineage or some such? It's 2019, anyone can be a hero, that was the point.

I think people are looking for at least something to be good or to explain why she's basically a super hero in a way we haven't witnessed before in SW. But if everyone's honest about it, just fixing her parentage isn't going to fix this series.

Chimpbot 04-12-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2535282)

People like to pretend that this concept wasn't always present in Star Wars (especially with the Jedi). Yes, the movies have always focused on the Skywalkers...but most of the other 9,999 Jedi were pretty much nobodies. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were both orphans. Outside of the Jedi, Han Solo was just some random smuggler dude. Hell, even the Emperor was just the son of a wealthy family on a relatively backwater planet no one really gave a shit about.

The series has, to one degree or another, always had the message that anyone could be the hero.

Juan 04-12-2019 05:47 AM

There have only ever been two halfway decent star wars movies (4 & 5). The rest are all absolute shit.

Chief Smash 04-12-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2535299)
There have only ever been two halfway decent star wars movies (4 & 5). The rest are all absolute shit.

https://i.imgur.com/hwVdIEi.jpg

Terran 04-12-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2535299)

Agreed .

Rogue One was less bullshitty than the others, though. :D

MavenACTG 04-12-2019 02:54 PM

I'm shocked the Episode IX teaser dropped and it isn't front page here.

Evil Avatar 04-12-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2535340)
I'm shocked the Episode IX teaser dropped and it isn't front page here.

I sleep during the day.