Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Force is Strong for a Second Weekend (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264593)

Evil Avatar 12-29-2019 08:34 PM

The Force is Strong for a Second Weekend

Disney's Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker topped the weekend box office for a second weekend in a row, while the weekend's newcomers -- Sony's Little Women and Fox's animated feature Spies in Disguise -- both topped studio expectations as did this weekend's expansion of Uncut Gems, which has now topped $20 million domestically.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of December 27th to December 29th, 2019.
  1. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $72.0/$361.7
  2. Jumanji: The Next Level $35.3/$175.4
  3. Little Women $16.5/$29.0
  4. Frozen II $16.5/$421.2
  5. Spies in Disguise $13.2/$22.0
  6. Knives Out $9.7/$110.2
  7. Uncut Gems $9.5/$20.0
  8. Cats $4.8/$17.8
  9. Bombshell $4.7/$15.6
  10. Richard Jewell $3.0/$16.0
  11. Ford v Ferrari $1.8/$106.1
  12. Queen & Slim $1.7/$40.1

vallor 12-30-2019 02:55 AM

Glad to see Jumanji held up.

Loved Episode IX myself. It deserves riches however I don't know if it, like some of the Star Wars movies before, is getting undeserved riches. It should peter out.

Amy Pascal, formerly of Sony Pictures Email Leak fame, blamed men for the failure of the Little Women movie. Go figure.

Despite how relevant the story of Richard Jewell is, a media and justice system running amok with a story they concocted together, I just can't see it as a big screen movie. Eastwood should have partnered with Netflix or someone for it. Fortunately(?) I didn't see any real marketing for it so I'm guessing it doesn't have to do gangbusters to earn back.

Too bad though, I think this may be the last movie we see from Eastwood. The guy is old as hell and I wouldn't be surprised to hear of him dying before he makes too many more films.

SpectralThundr 12-30-2019 03:23 AM

Since Disney owns Fox now why are we still pretending it's a different company?

Chimpbot 12-30-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2550728)
Since Disney owns Fox now why are we still pretending it's a different company?

I imagine they'll use it as a label for things that wouldn't necessarily align with their branding; it wouldn't be any different from what they used to do with Miramax back in the day, if that's what they end up doing.

Evil Avatar 12-30-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2550733)
I imagine they'll use it as a label for things that wouldn't necessarily align with their branding; it wouldn't be any different from what they used to do with Miramax back in the day, if that's what they end up doing.

Yea, doesn’t Disney own the Touchstone brand? I think they were doing the same thing back in the 90’s, using other brands for more adult themed movies.

Plus, a lot of what is coming out right now is stuff that was already in development before the buy out.

excalibur1814 12-30-2019 09:14 AM

Word

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2550725)
Amy Pascal, formerly of Sony Pictures Email Leak fame, blamed men for the failure of the Little Women movie. Go figure.

"Four sisters come of age in America in the aftermath of the Civil War."

Umm, really? I'd never want to watch this film. (Although Dirty Dancing was epic). That's like blaming Women for Robocop not being a bigger hit!? No. I blame the TARGET audience and, in this case, it'll be Women.

Odd.

Evil Avatar 12-30-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2550745)
"Four sisters come of age in America in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Umm, really? I'd never want to watch this film. (Although Dirty Dancing was epic). That's like blaming Women for Robocop not being a bigger hit!? No. I blame the TARGET audience and, in this case, it'll be Women.

Odd.

While it is obviously not a male movie that men would want to see, Iím also hearing that it is just not a very good movie. Itís like a 3-star movie at best.

Uncut Gems is fantastic. It isnít something you want to see in a theater though, itís just a straight character piece and people are just yelling at each other the whole movie. Sandler is amazing, but itís not a ďtheaterĒ film for sure. It should have debuted on Netflix.

actusoul 12-30-2019 12:11 PM

Has anyone seen 1917?

Terran 12-30-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2550725)

Get woke, go broke, blame a bloke, get told to screw off and get poked. :D

BenSkywlkr 12-30-2019 02:00 PM

Best friend bought my ticket to episode IX this weekend, I just wasn't going to after TLJ, so much better than the last one. My only legit gripe was how much better it could've been if he didn't have to try and undo everything RJ ruined in the last movie.

Inkabodcrane 12-30-2019 04:53 PM

Didn't see anything this weekend, but looking forward to next for that new Grudge movie. Looks sick!

Sensei-X 12-30-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2550769)
Get woke, go broke, blame a bloke, get told to screw off and get poked. :D

Heh, honestly the only ones they can blame are whoever decided their movie would do well going up against Star Wars and Jumanji at the same time. This, after the 2018 Little Women did an "amazing" 1.4 million worldwide.

Chimpbot 12-31-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2550736)
Yea, doesnít Disney own the Touchstone brand? I think they were doing the same thing back in the 90ís, using other brands for more adult themed movies.

Plus, a lot of what is coming out right now is stuff that was already in development before the buy out.

They own Touchstone, but I don't think they've done anything with it in a few years.

Stuff like Spies In Disguise, as you mentioned, are movies they've been saddled with thanks to the buyout. They'll likely have a few more projects like that to churn through.

SpectralThundr 12-31-2019 01:54 PM

I meant more so why are we here pretending Fox is still Fox? Just call it Disney and get it over with.

Evil Avatar 12-31-2019 07:57 PM

We went to see Knives Out. It wasn't bad, but I had to laugh because Daniel Craig starts out with this semi-southern drawl and about half way into the movie he just drops it and starts talking with his regular British accent.

The plot was... not good. It doesn't make much sense and a lot of what happens is a reach even for murder mystery movies.

It's good to see one time, but kind of a nothing movie overall.