Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sony Unveils PlayStation 5 Logo & Details (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264656)

Evil Avatar 01-07-2020 06:22 AM

Sony Unveils PlayStation 5 Logo & Details

GameSpot.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

shadow763 01-07-2020 06:50 AM

This is going to play 4K movies then?

BeardedSonOfNel 01-07-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2551202)
This is going to play 4K movies then?

My Xbone has done that for years.

RAV 01-07-2020 09:37 AM

Curious about the haptics/adaptive triggers. Since we are at that, how you guys feel about the good ol' rumble? Is it still a thing? Maybe the haptic triggers could be the next thing.

Metal Jesus 01-07-2020 09:47 AM

E3 is going to be fun this year.

vallor 01-07-2020 10:50 AM

As expected the logo lacks any sense of style.

Oddmaker 01-07-2020 11:08 AM

Better hardware than the Xbox, an SSD you cant buy yet for your PC, 4k Bluray.. what's not to like.

Evil Avatar 01-07-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddmaker (Post 2551228)
Better hardware than the Xbox, an SSD you cant buy yet for your PC, 4k Bluray.. what's not to like.

Better hardware confirmed yet? That was the rumor and Phil Spencer seemed to be hinting about it earlier, but then kinda walked that back.

I'll be getting one at launch for sure. I was thinking of getting the next Xbox as well, but then I decided that the Scorpio is probably powerful enough to play Halo so that's about the only exclusive I really ever need to worry about.

Snowbullet 01-07-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddmaker (Post 2551228)

The specs for the new Xbox versus the PS5 might actually have leaked already:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...rocessors.html

Ghostblaze 01-07-2020 03:16 PM

For the love of God can we at least get 60 FPS or more gaming on these new consoles. My eyes hurt when I go from my PC to PS4 pro.

wml 01-07-2020 06:36 PM

All i want is backwards compatability PS1-4 using my disks not just store purchases and i will buy one day one.

Ghostblaze 01-07-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wml (Post 2551253)
All i want is backwards compatability PS1-4 using my disks not just store purchases and i will buy one day one.

Yeah, not going to happen. PS4 backwards compatibility at most. They will keep milking the digital/retro games from people who want to play it on their most recent console from their online store. It's all about the Benjamins baby.

Evil Avatar 01-07-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowbullet (Post 2551244)
The specs for the new Xbox versus the PS5 might actually have leaked already:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...rocessors.html

If I read that right, they are really both roughly the same. That's cool.

It comes back to features and exclusives again. And I think we know which desktop will be cluttered with advertising and which system will have the best exclusives.

I would love to see better backwards compatibility in the PS5. I'm considering getting rid of my PS3 games. I would keep them if I had a BC system.

SpectralThundr 01-07-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551257)
If I read that right, they are really both roughly the same. That's cool.

It comes back to features and exclusives again. And I think we know which desktop will be cluttered with advertising and which system will have the best exclusives.

I would love to see better backwards compatibility in the PS5. I'm considering getting rid of my PS3 games. I would keep them if I had a BC system.

Sure if you consider a slower GPU and slower ram "roughly the same"

Inkabodcrane 01-07-2020 11:54 PM

I don't care about comparing specs until there is actual proof via announcements. If that leak is true, then the Xbox X will have 56 compute units vs PS5's 36. Whatever that even means, idk.

Also saw a headline today that the Switch "Pro" might be coming out this year as well, which would make sense.

I'm planning my new PC build now also, to be completed by May/June. So I may end up buying 3 new consoles and a new OP PC all in one calendar year?

Probably not (but who knows), I'll probably get one console right away, and have that and my new PC, then get the others next year at some point.

I will have them all eventually for sure.

RAV 01-08-2020 12:02 AM

The CPU is basically the same, and the architecture of the GPU too. However if these specs are to be believed, Microsoft is throwing more compute units into the Xbox for the graphics. So much more that the Xbox would be about 55% faster in graphics than the PS5. That would really surprise me. But let's think about this for a moment in the assumption it's true.

This would mean that the Xbox is designed to be in an entirely different price category than the PS5. The Xbox would have to be significantly more expensive. At least 100$ more. The thing about the newer age of consoles is that this time the hardware can be compared directly, whereas in the past the different architectures made it more tricky. The only reason the Xbox would be faster is because Microsoft just puts in more silicon, which is more expensive to produce. There is no magic trick here. More money, more power. And it comes down to a decision for what market segment you produce.

We have already heard that there would be different SKUs for the Xbox, similar to the current Pro and basic versions. So this can mean that Microsoft starts out the new generation by offering both at once, which would give them bragging rights about having the fastest console, even though most people would buy the cheaper one anyway. The real competitor for the faster Xbox would of course be the PS5Pro in the same price range. But we have no information when that would release. Also from the start or later again? In the meantime, Microsoft would offer a version that is slower and cheaper, and one that is faster and more expensive than PS5. The standard PS5 would then be in the middle of it at the start, and a possible later Pro faster, and it would be interesting to see what strategy would pay off more.

But this would also explain the contradicting rumors that the PS5 is faster and slower than the Xbox. Is all a question what SKU and price category we compare.

vallor 01-08-2020 12:57 AM

Simple explanation of a compute unit (this strips out a lot of info, btw): it is basically a supercharged shader core.

The job of a CU is to prioritize operations to minimize the latency of getting instructions to/from the GPU memory and then render.

Among other things each CU has a scheduler and dedicated memory. Regardless of manufacturer they work the same, they essentially batch shader operations.

The AMD approach allows for 64 threads while current Nvidia only allows for 32 threads.

AMD calls their shader batches a "wavefront" and Nvidia calls theirs a "warp". For AMD each Compute Unit can manage 40 wavefronts.

Since both consoles are using the AMD tech the Xbox will be able to perform 30 - 40% more graphic operations as the PS5 (2240 vs 1440), albeit at a slightly lower clock speed. The faster RAM in the Xbox could make up that difference since the Xbox (at least previously) used a Unified Memory Model which didn't segregate graphics RAM from system RAM.

I suspect, from a graphics perspective, depending on final speeds it will be a wash.

RAV 01-08-2020 01:23 AM

The faster ram of the xbox would make up for the small difference in clock speed, I wager, so we are back at 50% faster by just raw compute units. The number of compute units are the most important factor by which AMD and Nvidea differentiate their different SKUs and prices for graphics cards. More CUs means bigger silicon chips, and thus more yield problems by possible defects on production, which raises prices a lot. Going by these rumored specs, the Xbox would be both significantly faster and a lot more expensive for sure. So it's about comparing SKUs.

NightRain 01-08-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAV (Post 2551216)
Curious about the haptics/adaptive triggers. Since we are at that, how you guys feel about the good ol' rumble? Is it still a thing? Maybe the haptic triggers could be the next thing.

Xbox One already has Haptic triggers. Forza, Gears 5, The Division, Tomb Raider and a few other games support it. It has been under utilized so far though.

NightRain 01-08-2020 08:48 AM

My prediction is the Xbox is 15-25% faster and sells for the same price (maybe less) than the PS5. Microsoft wants to win this generation and they want the best hardware but not the most expensive.