Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alienware's Concept UFO Is Like A Switch That Plays PC Games (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264657)

Evil Avatar 01-07-2020 06:37 AM

Alienware's Concept UFO Is Like A Switch That Plays PC Games

Quote:

Alienware has shown off a new prototype during CES 2020, and it looks an awful lot like the Nintendo Switch. The Concept UFO--which, as the name suggests, is still a concept that the company is working with rather than a finalized product--is a portable system with a screen that can detach from the controllers on either side of it, much like the Joy-Cons slide off the Switch.
Gamespot.

Evil Avatar 01-07-2020 06:37 AM

Evil Avatar 01-07-2020 06:38 AM

Nice idea, but it would need to have access to my Steam library to be of any use. Otherwise, you might as well just buy a Switch.

shadow763 01-07-2020 06:49 AM

Controls actually look usable. The Switch is so much worse to use as a handheld than the Wii U was.

Agreed on it needs to not have its own store, it needs to be able to play games from all the stores I already have crap on.

brandonjclark 01-07-2020 07:11 AM

I like how the Sales guy didn't want to let him hold the device, ha.

Great, mobile RocketLeague.

Now I'm never going to get anything done.

Oh wait, my Switch already has that.

RAV 01-07-2020 09:27 AM

So far the specs are too weak. While I like the idea of a PC compatible platform in that form factor, it can only play at lowest settings if at all. I mean for stuff like RocketLeague and indie games it's enough, but that's about it. The Switch works because of the games tailored to it. PC games need more power. This thing is also too expensive.

excalibur1814 01-07-2020 02:57 PM

Quite nice.

It'll have (Supposedly) Windows 10 so, yeah, Steam. Disable a load of crap, remove even more, stop services and make that OS run. Nothing that 'new', if you recall the UMPC releases many years back (All of them pretty much sucked).

Dolphin Emu would be installed instantly. As would the BBC Micro Emu.

But, for now, I have an xbox controller and a Surface Pro 7 (i7).

vallor 01-08-2020 12:34 AM

The scripted marketing guy was painful to listen to. I don't think I want my PC Games mobile and this form factor is too big and will likely be too hot and too power hungry.

If it were light weight streaming, that's a different thing but putting a PC into that form factor is a fail, IMO.

RAV 01-08-2020 01:17 AM

That's the thing, right. Either it doesn't really have enough power for PC games, which it doesn't. or it cannot sustain it because battery/heat, if it did. However, I always kinda longed for a x86 compatible platform to run my things on without. The downside is just that this thing here will never have market share, if there is no big developer of dedicated games behind it, so it would be just for private purpose.

excalibur1814 01-08-2020 02:33 AM

Dedicated games? It's a pc. A small PC. It is a bit of a ball-ache to have to change settings, but that's the pc life.

More than likely, all games will have to run at 1280x720, depending on whatever's inside. Just like a Surface pro, or standard Intel based laptop. Specs and time will tell.

RAV 01-08-2020 03:04 AM

Yes it is, but the specs I've seen are very low. You'd play on minimum settings and low resolution, and some games might not even work properly. On Switch this doesn't matter because the games are designed to work and look well on the given hardware. That's the point. I highly doubt you'd have the same pleasant experience playing PC games like that, unless you talk about small or old stuff and emulators. Just don't go in expecting to play the latest titles on the go in an enjoyable fashion. Rocket League on lowest settings, okay.

excalibur1814 01-08-2020 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAV (Post 2551278)
Yes it is, but the specs I've seen are very low. You'd play on minimum settings and low resolution, and some games might not even work properly. On Switch this doesn't matter because the games are designed to work and look well on the given hardware. That's the point. I highly doubt you'd have the same pleasant experience playing PC games like that, unless you talk about small or old stuff and emulators. Just don't go in expecting to play the latest titles on the go in an enjoyable fashion. Rocket League on lowest settings, okay.

I hear you and appreciate what you're saying. I do 'hope' that whomever buys this, reads a LOT of reviews and knows what they're getting. I'd be fine with it. A standard non-pc Switch user, as you said, probably not. There will be returns.

Not sure if this sold:
https://www2.razer.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro

Rommel 01-08-2020 03:06 PM

It does not feature a GPU.

vallor 01-09-2020 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2551314)
It does not feature a GPU.

It's using an on-chip GPU? Ugg. It had better be free with some streaming service then.

Chimpbot 01-09-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2551201)
Controls actually look usable. The Switch is so much worse to use as a handheld than the Wii U was.

...It looks exactly like a Switch, down to the detachable controllers. The detachable controllers even look almost exactly like the joycons. Sure, it's a bit bigger...but otherwise, it's a complete ripoff of the Switch's design.