Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend Gamer: What are you playing? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257946)

Jetherik 01-04-2019 01:56 PM

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?
 

It is the first weekend of the New Year. Use it wisely. What are you playing?

Chief Smash 01-04-2019 02:34 PM

I hope to play some Shenmue HD and some COD BOPS4. The wife got both for me for Christmas.

PatrickRes9 01-04-2019 02:38 PM

Yakuza 0
Earth Defense Force 4.1
The Council
Shadow Warrior 2
Wocket Weague

BeardedSonOfNel 01-04-2019 03:50 PM

Programming the Commodore 64, and some Red Dead 2

vallor 01-04-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2527473)
Programming the Commodore 64, and some Red Dead 2

What a coincidence. I'm knocking some programming rust off myself, with little success. I'm doing it in Unity though. I'd like to think it is like riding a bike but I am falling off a lot.

Otherwise I'll probably be hitting The Witcher 2 again a little and maybe a few games on mobile to keep me occupied.

I grabbed The Walking Dead: No Man's Land, Star Trek Timelines, and have been playing Star Trek Fleet Commander on my iPad (along with my favorite money sink: Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes).

I'm not thrilled with Fleet Commander, due to the unbalanced PvP pre-level 15 (can attack +/- 2 levels) and more less restricted PvP after level 15 (can attack +/- 5 levels I believe). But a person a single level higher can be twice as powerful so it's very school-yard bully in most fights.

It also has a nasty Pay to Win aspect which is very in-your-face. For example if you bought one particular ship early on, the "Jellyfish" that Spock flew in the first reboot Star Trek movie, it is an "I win" button from level 1 to level 25 against any one who is leveling without it. I don't think it is available any more but those that have it are able to clear entire solar systems of any and all opponents.

It also has an enormous negative feedback loop. If you start getting stronger, the game feeds into that so you keep getting stronger and more strength is easier to get. The opposite is also true. If you start getting weaker it is incredibly easier for you to get more weak with each additional setback.

The Walking Dead is a turn based strategy game, which might be cool. I'm hoping for some base building. And Timelines looks sort of like Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, except with Star Trek, so I'm not sure that will last long. I'm already pretty deep into one collection game and not willing to dive into another.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-04-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2527480)
What a coincidence. I'm knocking some programming rust off myself, with little success. I'm doing it in Unity though. I'd like to think it is like riding a bike but I am falling off a lot.

I know what you mean :o

brandonjclark 01-04-2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2527467)
Yakuza 0
Earth Defense Force 4.1
The Council
Shadow Warrior 2
Wocket Weague

Rocket League should be classified a Schedule 1 drug.

*edit

Exhibit A

https://i.imgur.com/OjWp7iX.png

BalekFekete 01-05-2019 08:45 AM

Weekend menu will be some BLOPS4 with a side of Subnautica here.

walstib 01-05-2019 10:40 AM

Mass Effect - Andromeda. PS4. finally got around to it. itís ok, but a pale shadow of ME 2.

and some Wii bowling and Mario Party 7 as the younger kids are now into vid games and so we dusted off the Wii and fired it up.

who knows - maybe some Rock Band 2 since i bought a lot of Rush music

looks like a retro weekend

Evil Avatar 01-05-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2527473)
Programming the Commodore 64, and some Red Dead 2

Nice!

I was working on art for a book Iím writing. My art is pretty much terrible, the point is just to show my Daughter that anyone can create books. She is a pretty gifted artist.

My Mom canít draw at all and she has dozens of books, toys and educational games. She just cranks out stuff all the time. They even made kids furniture to go with one of her books!

I started playing Diablo III on the PS4. Looks great on the big screen. You notice all kinds of little details that I didnít see on a 24Ē monitor on the PC (or the 7Ē monitor on the Switch).

One of these days Iím going to get past Act I. I think I have played Act I on the PC several times and on the Switch once.

m.c. 01-06-2019 02:44 AM

Trying to Platinum God of War (PS4) before I start on new ones (9 more backlog). Currently at 62%.

SpectralThundr 01-06-2019 03:30 AM

Finished Red Dead during the week, hell of a story, likely the best single player story outside of an RPG I've played in decades if not longer. Great great game. Back to Battletech.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-06-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2527520)
Nice!

I was working on art for a book Iím writing. My art is pretty much terrible, the point is just to show my Daughter that anyone can create books. She is a pretty gifted artist.

My Mom canít draw at all and she has dozens of books, toys and educational games. She just cranks out stuff all the time. They even made kids furniture to go with one of her books!

I started playing Diablo III on the PS4. Looks great on the big screen. You notice all kinds of little details that I didnít see on a 24Ē monitor on the PC (or the 7Ē monitor on the Switch).

One of these days Iím going to get past Act I. I think I have played Act I on the PC several times and on the Switch once.

Well I hope your book isn't years out like my game :o I plug away at it hard for a couple of days, and then let it sit for weeks (sometimes months)... The up side is I'm slowly getting it done, the down side; it takes me half of a day to figure out where I left off. It sucks only seeing 30-40 lines of code on screen :)

PatrickRes9 01-06-2019 10:46 AM

Gone Home
Beyond Good and Evil
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Syberia
Long Live the Queen

...and several more SJW approved and curated games!

DingBat 01-06-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2527537)
Well I hope your book isn't years out like my game :o I plug away at it hard for a couple of days, and then let it sit for weeks (sometimes months)... The up side is I'm slowly getting it done, the down side; it takes me half of a day to figure out where I left off. It sucks only seeing 30-40 lines of code on screen :)

Why are you limited to 30-40 lines? Monitors are pretty cheap these days. Get a 20+" that rotates. Bam, 100 lines easy.

On my old setup I had an ultrawide and a secondary 22" monitor. I could put two windows from Visual Studio up side by side on the ultrawide and have the 22" for browsing, etc. Heaven.

Mad Max RW 01-06-2019 12:39 PM

Aliens Infestation for the DS on my tv through the DeSMuME emulator and it's fucking awesome. The best Aliens game since the first few levels of the Marine campaign in AvP2. Tense, hard as hell, and remains faithful to the movie while adding new elements from the Dark Horse comics. Playing it on the big screen is brilliant with the emulator. You can set it up to display the two DS screens horizontally instead of vertically so no real estate is wasted. Then make the gameplay screen much larger and the inventory/map screen smaller. Plays like a really advanced SNES or Sega Genesis game. Great graphics. Controls are tight and no delay and translates perfectly to the Xbox 360 controller. My only negative is the music. It sounds like the soundtrack to The Dig and replays the same 2 or 3 tracks everywhere.

Emabulator 01-06-2019 12:53 PM

I'm redacting union members personal information with a black magic marker for a case my boss is working on.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-06-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2527543)
Why are you limited to 30-40 lines? Monitors are pretty cheap these days. Get a 20+" that rotates. Bam, 100 lines easy.

On my old setup I had an ultrawide and a secondary 22" monitor. I could put two windows from Visual Studio up side by side on the ultrawide and have the 22" for browsing, etc. Heaven.

I'm working on a real Commodore 64. I'm really limited to 25 lines, 40 columns wide :)
https://i.postimg.cc/MpmJQNsQ/c64-lines.jpg

Ghostblaze 01-06-2019 06:32 PM

Installed my new seasonic PSU since my corsair crapped out so back to Evil Within
Red Dead 2 for PS4 almost done

PatrickRes9 01-07-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2527492)
Rocket League should be classified a Schedule 1 drug.

*edit

Exhibit A

https://i.imgur.com/OjWp7iX.png

Nice! Yah, it's hard to put that game down for very long. It's a blast. Do you play competitive? I don't have near the hours you have. Closer to 500, but I can play at about Diamond I level in comp. Need to get more practice in.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.