Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Murder Mystery Broke Netflix's Opening Weekend Viewership Record (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261184)

BeardedSonOfNel 06-19-2019 05:45 AM

Murder Mystery Broke Netflix's Opening Weekend Viewership Record

Via IGN
Quote:

Deadline reports 30.87 million accounts watched the film the first weekend it was available. 13.37 million of those accounts are located in Canada and the US, while the other 17.5 million are international subscribers.

These numbers are quite a big deal when you compare it to films like Bright, the 2017 modern high fantasy action film starring Will Smith. Bright saw 11 million sit down to watch during its debut weekend, though it's still confirmed to be getting a sequel. The Sandra Bullock led Bird Box had over 45 million accounts watch it in seven days globally.

NACIONAL 06-19-2019 06:00 AM

I would never pay a theater tickets + food for that movie.

In netflix its a maybe... on a lazy sunday maybe.

MavenACTG 06-19-2019 06:36 AM

The question is how this translates into revenue. A ticket sale could be broken down into what money goes where. 30 million accounts ◊ $10 monthly sub is no joke, but it doesn't mean it took down blockbuster box office

Luncian 06-19-2019 02:27 PM

This is a terrible, terrible movie. Ugh. The low, low price of "Free" is still too much.

excalibur1814 06-19-2019 02:44 PM

It was, to me... acceptable. Only just. It's also NOT free if you're paying a subscription.

I HATED the usual crap, at the start, about their husbands being rubbish at x or y. As for the mystery? Well, yeah, it did lack mystery.

P.s. Gemma looked so good

Ghostblaze 06-19-2019 09:37 PM

It was what I thought it would be, acceptable. You can't watch an Adam Sandler movie on Netflix and have high expectations. Take it for what it is. What was annoying plot wise, was him aspiring to be a detective when they mentioned he is a Sgt. You don't aspire to go down a rank. No one studies to be a detective, since there is no test for it to begin with in the NYPD for detective. They could have done 2 minutes of research on that. Then again it's Netflix and Adam Sandler.

Azzy 06-19-2019 09:53 PM

I have too much self-respect to watch anything new that involves Adam Sandler as anything more than a cameo.

Evil Avatar 06-20-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostblaze (Post 2539793)
It was what I thought it would be, acceptable. You can't watch an Adam Sandler movie on Netflix and have high expectations. Take it for what it is. What was annoying plot wise, was him aspiring to be a detective when they mentioned he is a Sgt. You don't aspire to go down a rank. No one studies to be a detective, since there is no test for it to begin with in the NYPD for detective. They could have done 2 minutes of research on that. Then again it's Netflix and Adam Sandler.

I donít know about New York, but everywhere else Detective is a rank above Sgt. And while I donít think we have a ďtestĒ for Detective here, itís a promotion which means that you need to get on the list and that means taking a QAB, which is pretty much an oral board test.

Ghostblaze 06-20-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2539814)
I don’t know about New York, but everywhere else Detective is a rank above Sgt. And while I don’t think we have a “test” for Detective here, it’s a promotion which means that you need to get on the list and that means taking a QAB, which is pretty much an oral board test.

Yup, not in NYPD. No test. Doesn’t outrank a SGT. To make detective you have to get into an investigatory or other specialized units to earn your detective shield. Which is 2 years. Since he’s portraying an NYPD MOS. They should have done some research.

Evil Avatar 06-21-2019 09:51 PM

Good movie or not, what you should take away from this article is that Hollywood hasn't had a "hit" comedy in quite a while (other than Crazy Rich Asians... which is based on a novel) and Netflix kicked their butts with a movie with a couple of D-List actors.

There is a good article up on Breitbart with some real box office numbers.

Streaming can turn average movies into huge hits. The only question is how that translates into profits. Obviously, I'm not planning to cancel my Netflix account, not with them rocking out killer new series like Sex, Death and Robots all the time.

Terran 06-23-2019 08:19 AM

Adam Sandler is extremely popular on Netflix. His stuff is garbage, but so is fast food, which is also popular and fills your belly for a while. I find his movies strangely satisfying in a terrible, greasy, disgusting, gassy way.

Not surprised this did well. Also not surprised it's middling or bad. So what? He's enjoyably terrible, like a McDonald's burger.

Evil Avatar 06-23-2019 10:35 AM

I think he was good at one point and I would still watch another Happy Gilmore style comedy from Sandler, but he has been running on empty for a while. It is still encouraging to see Netflix doing so great with their original content because they take chances on stuff like Sex, Death and Robots and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs that Hollywood probably never would have put money into.

Not to mention that they rescued that awesome series YOU which will now get a sequel it never would have had on network TV.

As much as I love movies, I think Hollywood spends too much on movies and can’t take any chances as a result. They have forgotten that the franchises we love, Aliens, Ghostbusters, etc, were once one-shot movies that someone took a chance to make. Netflix loves to throw money at indie stuff and foreign stuff and just anything new and unique. It doesn’t all work, but it sure makes your $12 a month worthwhile.