Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spider-Man Wall-Crawls to the Top of the Weekend Boxoffice Chart (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261465)

Evil Avatar 07-07-2019 07:45 PM

Spider-Man Wall-Crawls to the Top of the Weekend Boxoffice Chart

Doing whatever a spider-can includes a monster $560 million six-day total for Spider-Man: Far From Home, with the web-spinning sequel out-grossing the first film by some $30 million compared to the first film's six-day total.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of July 5th to July 7th, 2019.
  1. Spider-Man: Far from Home $93.6/$185.0
  2. Toy Story 4 $34.3/$306.5
  3. Yesterday $10.7/$36.8
  4. Annabelle Comes Home $9.7/$50.1
  5. Aladdin $7.6/$320.7
  6. Midsommar $6.5/$10.9
  7. The Secret Life of Pets 2 $4.7/$140.7
  8. Men in Black International $3.6/$71.9
  9. Avengers: Endgame $3.1/$847.8
  10. Rocketman $2.7/$89.1
  11. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $2.2/$165.2
  12. Child's Play $1,4/$26,7

vallor 07-07-2019 10:08 PM

There are some seriously poor numbers in there. I will probably see Spiderman myself in a week or two but there just isn't anything in this list that is worth dragging me out of the the house to the theater.

Outside of Toy Story 4 doing slightly better than TS3 the rest is dismal.
  • Rocketman stalled and fell just like a Kim Jong Un rocket into the sea outside North Korea.
  • Secret Life of Pets wishes it stayed a secret.
  • Annabelle should have gone to an Airbnb (though those movies are notoriously cheap to make so it probably quintupled it's money at this rate).
  • Men in Black is not going to get out of the red
  • Hopefully Aladdin's international box office keeps this one hip-hopping though Disney must have gotten good feedback on Will Smith cause they announced they are changing Ariel in the live action Little Mermaid into a black person.
  • The makers of Child's Play are probably slitting their wrists with Chucky's knife to get out of their debts

Inkabodcrane 07-08-2019 01:55 AM

Saw Spider-man and Midsommar back to back today.

Spidey was good, nothing surprising but a solid MCU film. Considering I wasn't even wanting to see it that much I am pleased that I had a good time with it.

Midsommar. I knew it would be a slow burn type film, and I love those type so long as they have a badass payoff at the end. There was a point in the film, about 75% of the way in (it's 2.5 hours), where they had two possible paths to continue down. One would've made it much more interesting and end with a big crazy bang, the other (which the film chooses) leads it to a meandering, silly place, ending the film with a "meh" and a feeling that you wasted your time.

I was really excited for Midsommar and had high expectations. I couldn't have cared less about Spider-man and had low expectations. Figures.

Evil Avatar 07-08-2019 03:45 AM

I made it to Spider-Man, it was decent enough, but took way too long to get started and while Mysterio was true to the comic book character that is what ends up making him kind of a disappointment. Overall, I waould say that out of all the Spider-Man movies ever made, this one is the worst. Most forgettable and easiest to just ignore.

The mid-credits scene is gold for sure, but because it plays on our nostalgia.

Glad we went, it was better than Captain Marvel for sure. I really think I would watch Ant-Man 2 before I watched this one again.

The 4th phase of Marvel needs to start dialing it up a notch.

Booda 07-08-2019 08:45 AM

Critic's Notebook: Summer 2019's Sad, Stale State of the Movies

Quote:

For a town that's supposedly very liberal, Hollywood this summer has looked like the most conservative, stuck-in-the-mud and unimaginative place in the country on the basis of the films it has released.

Since I returned from the Cannes Film Festival at the end of May, every single film I've reviewed has been part of a (largely tired) franchise or else a remake. And with one exception, Toy Story 4, they've mostly been bad, weary and entirely unnecessary, other than as perceived money machines. Several of them haven't even been that.

SpectralThundr 07-08-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2540682)

Gotta love the political jab thrown in there. Oh those stuck in the mud conservatives who won't encourage kids dressing in drag and child sex changes, those fuddy duddies! :rolleyes:

Inkabodcrane 07-08-2019 02:47 PM

Who cares about what a limp wristed writer for THR thinks about...anything?

I get that there have been sequels and stuff, but I've gone to a record breaking amount of movies this year, summer included. I don't expect every movie to be The Godfather, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the hell out of watching Godzilla blast Ghidorha.

Plus a lot of the time big budget original films are not that great. If they are, they spawn sequels. That's how this whole thing works.

LostToys 07-09-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2540695)
Plus a lot of the time big budget original films are not that great. If they are, they spawn sequels. That's how this whole thing works.

Well, that is sorta the point. The writer wants less large budget movies which are designed to kick start trilogies, spinoffs, or sequels, and wants more original content like they get at a film festival like Cannes.

ElektroDragon 07-09-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2540717)
Well, that is sorta the point. The writer wants less large budget movies which are designed to kick start trilogies, spinoffs, or sequels, and wants more original content like they get at a film festival like Cannes.

So by that logic he should think Hereditary is a fucking work of art. And that the genre bending against the grain Brightburn is a subversive masterpiece. But they're just horror movies. :rolleyes:

LostToys 07-09-2019 01:53 PM

Most critics do think Hereditary, Midsommer, Get Out, and other "high concept" horror films are works of art. I have not read anything about Brightburn, but just based on the trailers it is not likely that reviewers would have liked its subversive nature, like Super, because it just looked trashy with little to no subtlety.

Inkabodcrane 07-09-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2540728)
Most critics do think Hereditary, Midsommer, Get Out, and other "high concept" horror films are works of art. I have not read anything about Brightburn, but just based on the trailers it is not likely that reviewers would have liked its subversive nature, like Super, because it just looked trashy with little to no subtlety.

I've seen all 5 of the films you mention here. I like Brightburn the best. Hereditary is very good, as is Get Out. Super is cool. Midsommer is not great, although it has some cool parts.

Point is, and I've felt this way since I was a teenager, I like to have opinions on things based on my own experience. Reviews can be interesting, and occasionally you might find a reviewer that you trust. But if at all possible I like to know for myself about a certain experience.

That said, the fact that reviewers can predictably like and dislike things as you and Elektro noted, is exactly why I don't trust them.

Booda 07-10-2019 06:33 AM

Saw Midsommar last night & thought it was actually pretty good. A bit long though so watching it in the comfort of your own home would probably suit this film better. Cinematography was good, use of light & color was done well & the acting was pretty decent overall. There was even some genuinely funny dialog in it.

6.5 - 7 out of 10.

*spoiler alert

There was no one in tights flying around punching each other in the face that I noticed.

Chief Smash 07-10-2019 06:55 AM

We took my son and his friends to see the new Spiderman last night and we were all pretty surprised at how much we enjoyed it. My expectations were very low for whatever reason so maybe that helped. But it felt like a continuation of the Avengers films to me and I liked that. They also made MJ much more likable this time around.