Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ubisoft halts Starlink toy production as franchise sales ‘fell below expectations’ (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259820)

Emabulator 04-07-2019 11:22 AM

Ubisoft halts Starlink toy production as franchise sales ‘fell below expectations’

MCV has the story.

Quote:

Ubisoft has confirmed it will longer be manufacturing the physical toys that accompany its toys-to-life franchise, Starlink, after reporting sales for the game “fell below expectations”.

“Thank you so much for the warm response to the new Starlink content announced during the February Nintendo Direct,” the Starlink development team said via a statement on the official website. “With the announcement of new content arriving this April, we felt that it is important to provide an update on the topic of physical toys. Starlink: Battle for Atlas has been a passion project for us from the start, and we are incredibly proud of the modular Starship technology we have developed, and how well players have responded to it.

“Despite the immense and continuous support from our players, the sales for Starlink: Battle for Atlas fell below expectations.” the statement continued. “Consequently, we recently made the decision to not release any additional physical toys for the Spring update and in the future. As part of our effort to do right by our passionate and dedicated community we are currently hard at work on our biggest update to the game so far and are pleased to tell all of you that there will be new digital ships, pilots and weapons to collect.”

The post adds that despite these changes, there “will be a ton of free content” to expand the game with additional missions, challenges and new activities. The update is expected to deploy later this month.
Destructoid's review:

Quote:

Starlink: Battle for Atlas is a good game that's robbed of greatness by a lack of ambition and terrible toys-to-life implementation. Everything it gets right – the clever mix-and-match shipbuilding, the combat, the controls, the imaginative alien worlds, the decent space opera storyline – can’t escape the vortex of tedium that comes with pedestrian mission design, planets that are mechanically the same, and the crushing knowledge that people who buy just the Starter Pack are getting an unquestionably inferior experience.

Terran 04-07-2019 12:13 PM

This is great. It's like telling the dumbest kid in the school he's really reasonably bright and then explaining all his faults:

"Starlink: Battle for Atlas is a good game...vortex of tedium...pedestrian mission design...inferior experience.'

That doesn't sound like a good game. That sounds like you gave it a participation trophy and then told it to go home and suck less. :D

EL CABONG 04-07-2019 01:47 PM

The game looked bad. Plus the whole toys to life thing came and went a year or 2 before this came out.

Blog 04-07-2019 03:54 PM

I have literally never heard of this game. It must not have made any impact at all on the scene.

Scherge 04-08-2019 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blog (Post 2534927)
I have literally never heard of this game. It must not have made any impact at all on the scene.

"Starlink" did okay-ish on the Switch, but bombed on PS4 and Xbox One. I have to admit that I didn't even know it had come out on these platforms. The game smelled of mediocre mobile fare, but had Nintendo's endorsement and the "Star Fox" crew on Switch, which was a nice touch for fans of Fox McCloud & Co.

EGO 04-08-2019 10:58 AM

Bringing a toys-to-life game out, this late, when HEAVY HITTERS like Lego and Disney have left is utterly stupid and suicidal.

I've played/own Starlink. It's the best Starfox sequel you're going to get. But not worth investing in, especially for the toys. A solid $40 game, which is what I paid.

Mondopest 04-10-2019 09:01 AM

The one thing that I always dug about UBI is their being consistently unafraid (or stupid?) in trying different things e.g. Battle Tag from 2010. It must be nice to have loads of money!