Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C64 Mini got 100x better! A longtime fans perspective - Load your own games! (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256715)

Metal Jesus 10-23-2018 08:59 AM

C64 Mini got 100x better! A longtime fans perspective - Load your own games!
 
There is new firmware for the C64 Mini to reduce latency and allow you to load 1,000s of Commodore games!


TheC64 mini: https://amzn.to/2pWfSHc (Amazon)
TheC64 mini FB group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/209280506324242/

Chief Smash 10-23-2018 07:24 PM

My brother owned the C64 and while I normally think of the SNES as my favorite system ever, this video reminds me of how many great C64 memories I have. I might pick this up for my brother for Christmas so we can sit around and play Pirates! all night like the old days. Great vid MJ. I didn't even know that this mini system existed until this post.

Metal Jesus 10-23-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2523192)
My brother owned the C64 and while I normally think of the SNES as my favorite system ever, this video reminds me of how many great C64 memories I have. I might pick this up for my brother for Christmas so we can sit around and play Pirates! all night like the old days. Great vid MJ. I didn't even know that this mini system existed until this post.

I'm so glad to hear you say that! I really do feel sad for console gamers who never gave the C64 a chance, cuz it was an AMAZING gaming machine at the time. Really powerful and flexible and literally THOUSANDS of great games for it! Glad you liked the video :)

paragondk1 10-24-2018 12:47 AM

Great video, as always!

MJ: The Internet Archive recently put up a huge chunk of the C64 software library. :-)
https://archive.org/details/software...wnloads&page=2

I was rocking a few games this week on the site. :-)

Scherge 10-24-2018 02:46 AM

Nice video! Personally, I'm still holding out for an Amiga Mini, but it'd be a lot harder to emulate due to the wildly different hardware iterations (OCS/ECS/AGA, Kickstart 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1)...

Question: Is there a specific reason why you would want a C64 Big Mini with a built-in keyboard over the current version with a USB keyboard? Is there a problem with the C64 layout on modern PC keyboards?

Oh, and how's the Competition Pro imitation? I read the stick was really stiff in the European release, and I highly doubt they've changed it. And are those small corner buttons used for auto fire?

Metal Jesus 10-24-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2523203)
Question: Is there a specific reason why you would want a C64 Big Mini with a built-in keyboard over the current version with a USB keyboard? Is there a problem with the C64 layout on modern PC keyboards?

Oh, and how's the Competition Pro imitation? I read the stick was really stiff in the European release, and I highly doubt they've changed it. And are those small corner buttons used for auto fire?

* Currently with two USB ports, it's impossible to have a keyboard, joystick AND USB stick plugged in with your own games on it. That's really why you would want either a real working keyboard, or a third USB port.

* I have had no problems with the joystick included. It's not the same as a real one, but thankfully the FB group I mentioned is full of people recommending other USB controllers that work too.

BeardedSonOfNel 10-25-2018 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2523203)
Nice video! Personally, I'm still holding out for an Amiga Mini, but it'd be a lot harder to emulate due to the wildly different hardware iterations (OCS/ECS/AGA, Kickstart 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1)...

Question: Is there a specific reason why you would want a C64 Big Mini with a built-in keyboard over the current version with a USB keyboard? Is there a problem with the C64 layout on modern PC keyboards?

Oh, and how's the Competition Pro imitation? I read the stick was really stiff in the European release, and I highly doubt they've changed it. And are those small corner buttons used for auto fire?

Programming! The layout is different from modern keyboards. For example the "*" has its own key and so does the "@"That and the Mini is missing the ASCII graphic characters too.
I use this cheat sheet when programming in an emulator.
https://www.waitingforfriday.com/wp-...rd_VICE_KB.png

BeardedSonOfNel 10-26-2018 06:19 AM

@MJ will a USB hub work? Maybe a powered one???


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 AM.