Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Digital Pirates hold Disney's Pirates Movie for Ransom (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245498)

Evil Avatar 05-16-2017 12:05 PM

Digital Pirates hold Disney's Pirates Movie for Ransom
 

Deadline is reporting that digital pirates have obtained a copy of the new Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and are threatening to release the film online unless Disney pays a ransom in Bitcoins.

Quote:

Disney’s upcoming Johnny Depp film Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been pilfered by ransom hackers seeking payment from the studio. The hackers have demanded an enormous amount of money be paid in Bitcoin. Disney is currently working with the FBI and will not pay.

Although Disney CEO Bob Iger did not reveal which movie the ransom hackers claim to have, he did reveal to ABC employees during a town hall meeting in New York on Monday that the incident had occurred. The hackers said they would release bits of the film — in increments — if their demands weren’t met. Deadline learned that it was, indeed, Jerry Bruckheimer’s fifth in the Pirates franchise, which is scheduled for release May 26.

Disney would not comment, but insiders said that the company refuse to pay. This follows the same issue Netflix faced when a ransom hacker spilled out 10 episodes of the next season of Orange Is The New Black when Netflix also refused to ante up.

Hector Monsegur, Director of Security Assessments for Rhino Security Labs and a regular expert on the Science Channel series Outlaw Tech, was a former computer hacker who was arrested and then became an FBI informant. He told Deadline that “attribution is probably the hardest thing the FBI is dealing with here.”

BadIronTree 05-16-2017 12:31 PM

Yaarrrrrr Freeeee Promooooo :D

excalibur1814 05-16-2017 12:39 PM

Silly. It'll be out on crap cam within two days of release then webrip a couple of weeks after that. Find them, hurt them.

Rommel 05-16-2017 12:48 PM

Find them and kill them!

Chimpbot 05-16-2017 12:52 PM

This will have absolutely no impact on this film's performance in the slightest. At least they tried...?

Terran 05-16-2017 12:54 PM

Finally, a major Hollywood production that will be illicitly available at or before it launches through the wonders of the Internet! When will this EVER happen again? :D

/sarc.

Evil Avatar 05-17-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2482833)
This will have absolutely no impact on this film's performance in the slightest. At least they tried...?

If the movie sucks, this could totally kill their profits. This is what happened to Hostel 2 and to Wolverine. Both of those had screeners that came out before the movie hit theaters and they were terrible films and word got around FAST that the movie wasn't worth going to see. In some ways, that same thing happened when the Director of Fantastic Four went out on twitter and said the movie sucked... once people heard it sucked they didn't bother.

On the other hand, if the movie is great, I think something like this could actually help the movie because some people will hear about how great it is and want to go see it.

Now, if they release a full 1080p version of the movie before opening day... that could have serious impact even if the movie is good. I tend to doubt that the pirates have that kind of a copy of the movie. I would imagine that if they pulled this off some mid-level employee's computer that it's just a digital version of a 460p screener and something like that will not end up having any impact one way or the other.

Chimpbot 05-17-2017 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2482886)
If the movie sucks, this could totally kill their profits. This is what happened to Hostel 2 and to Wolverine. Both of those had screeners that came out before the movie hit theaters and they were terrible films and word got around FAST that the movie wasn't worth going to see. In some ways, that same thing happened when the Director of Fantastic Four went out on twitter and said the movie sucked... once people heard it sucked they didn't bother.

The last time I checked, virtually every single movie hitting theaters is leaked to the internet days - if not weeks - prior to the theatrical release. The only difference in this case is the leak is now highly publicized.

When it comes to a movie with massive mainstream appeal, the opinions and scuttlebutt of people who watched leaked versions won't really matter.

Quote:

Now, if they release a full 1080p version of the movie before opening day... that could have serious impact even if the movie is good. I tend to doubt that the pirates have that kind of a copy of the movie. I would imagine that if they pulled this off some mid-level employee's computer that it's just a digital version of a 460p screener and something like that will not end up having any impact one way or the other.
Ultimately, it depends upon the film. Their target audience is, believe it or not, not people like us. Piracy may damage films like The Hateful Eight, but mainstream films like Pirates of the Caribbean are likely going to pull in decent numbers, regardless of what happens.

Male Chauvinist 05-17-2017 08:37 AM

Lol, that is too funny.

DeluxE 05-17-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2482886)
...if the movie is great, I think something like this could actually help the movie because some people will hear about how great it is and want to go see it.

Now, if they release a full 1080p version of the movie before opening day... that could have serious impact even if the movie is good. I tend to doubt that the pirates have that kind of a copy of the movie. I would imagine that if they pulled this off some mid-level employee's computer that it's just a digital version of a 460p screener and something like that will not end up having any impact one way or the other.

A leaked version killed Fury's profits, even though it was a damn fine WWII film. And a much better experience in the theater. I don't know if the quality matters all that much - if it looks decent, people will still be able to watch it, and let's face it, forget all about it by the time it's done.

Rommel 05-17-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2482886)
Now, if they release a full 1080p version of the movie before opening day... that could have serious impact even if the movie is good. I tend to doubt that the pirates have that kind of a copy of the movie.

If they have a screener copy, it could be as quality as 4K. Don't you remember the Hateful Eight leak?

Arkarian 05-22-2017 12:33 PM

Funny! A pirate movie Pirated.

Sensei-X 05-22-2017 06:19 PM

Do these dumb shits expect anyone to pay? Nobody will pay these assholes because there's no way to guarantee that you just won't take the money and leak the movie/TV series/software anyway.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16 AM.