Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Quake Champions – Introducing Duel Mode (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245537)

Evil Avatar 05-17-2017 11:04 AM

Quake Champions – Introducing Duel Mode

Quote:

Quake Champions is a frenetic test of skill and the ultimate competitive game. The purest form of this proving ground is Duel mode, a 1-v-1 showdown to decide who is best, once-and-for-all. Check out the video showcasing Quake Champions’ new Duel mode here.

Duel mode introduces an additional layer of strategy to Quake Champions, incorporating multiple Champions with differing Abilities. To start, players will select three Champions in a snake-style draft before heading to the Arenas. In choosing their roster, players will have to consider which Champions are better suited to their unique playstyle and which are effective counters to their opponents’ choices.

Taking a cue from fighting games, Duel is played as a best-of-three match. There are three total rounds, and in each round, a player has to defeat all three of the opponent’s Champions. When a player is fragged, they will respawn as another of their chosen Champions. When one player has eliminated all three of the opposing Champions, a winner for that round is declared.

Reminder: The Quake Champions Large Scale Test Tech is now live and will run until May 21. The Tech Test is welcoming all players and includes Duel mode as well as the new team-based competitive mode, Sacrifice. Players who want to join in the fragfest can head to Quake.com to sign up and receive a key.
quake.bethesda.net

Evil Avatar 05-17-2017 11:04 AM

Rommel 05-17-2017 11:33 AM

Played yesterday, it's vapid

Mozain 05-17-2017 03:29 PM

Played one round on the weekend and promptly uninstalled. I can't stand F2P games where the only way you can access content from the free route is by renting it. You want the only means to unlock a champion to be paying cash or renting it for a day (I'm sure 24 hours real time) with in game currency? I won't even bother with a second glance.

actusoul 05-18-2017 07:57 AM

Send me an email when you have Quake SINGLE PLAYER available.

DeadPixel 05-18-2017 08:39 AM

The only F2P game I support Path of Exiles

wunshot 05-18-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2483006)
Played one round on the weekend and promptly uninstalled. I can't stand F2P games where the only way you can access content from the free route is by renting it. You want the only means to unlock a champion to be paying cash or renting it for a day (I'm sure 24 hours real time) with in game currency? I won't even bother with a second glance.

There is nothing wrong with this model since you get enough credits to rent the character for 24 hours by playing like one game.

Mozain 05-18-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2483096)
There is nothing wrong with this model since you get enough credits to rent the character for 24 hours by playing like one game.

Oh yah, that's exactly what people want to do. Start off every game session by renting their favorite champion. Oh, finished a match and it's between the timer ending? Better rent them again (I'm assuming that's how it works).

If it's so little why not have an option to purchase them in perpetuity with the in game currency? Hell they could keep the renting function too, whatever, but as long as there's no way to permanently unlock a character without paying cash, I'm out.

wunshot 05-18-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2483098)
Oh yah, that's exactly what people want to do. Start off every game session by renting their favorite champion. Oh, finished a match and it's between the timer ending? Better rent them again (I'm assuming that's how it works).

If it's so little why not have an option to purchase them in perpetuity with the in game currency? Hell they could keep the renting function too, whatever, but as long as there's no way to permanently unlock a character without paying cash, I'm out.

Nobody is stopping you from buying that character with real money. Oh wait, that's right, you want it for free.... I forgot we're in the age of wanting something for nothing. As if these developers have zero need to make any profit.

Mozain 05-18-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2483099)
Nobody is stopping you from buying that character with in game money. Oh wait, that's right, you want it for free.... I forgot we're in the age of wanting something for nothing. As if these developers have zero need to make any profit.

Heh you're talking to the wrong person. I routinely drop quite a bit of cash on F2P enterprises. And yes, I think anyone has a reasonable assumption that in a F2P game you have access to gameplay altering mechanics (ie: Characters) for free. The renting thing is just my personal opinion, I think most people don't want to rent things, and maybe I'm wrong, but I refuse to support that kind of business model.

As for profit, you want to put cosmetics behind a paywall? Sure, go nuts, who cares. But I think you're forgetting that we're the consumers here, we don't owe them a damn thing. They want to be profitable, they need to tailor their product to the market and what the market wants. We don't like something, we move on to the countless other products that will offer what we want. That's what I intend to do.

wunshot 05-18-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2483100)
That's what I intend to do.

Fair enough. I don't mind a somewhat inconvenient feature because I yearn for a quality quake experience. If that wasn't my thing I wouldn't bother either.