Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Star Wars Battlefront 2 is Rolling Out Credit Changes (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250177)

Emabulator 12-04-2017 01:42 PM

Star Wars Battlefront 2 is Rolling Out Credit Changes

EA and DICE have rolled out some credit changes to their recent alleged attempt at fleecing gamers, Star Wars Battlefront II.

Quote:

It's been a busy few weeks for Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II. We’re excited to have launched the game to the world, but recognize that there have been some challenges along the way. We have learned a lot, and are making adjustments to the game to ensure the best experience possible. On Tuesday, an update is rolling out that begins the Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II The Last Jedi Season by kicking off factional challenges, letting you choose a side and start competing for rewards as either The First Order or The Resistance.

Today, an update went live that includes some adjustments to the economy and progression. While these are only some initial steps toward making much larger changes, some of these are ready to roll, and are available starting today.

The end-of-round payout has been increased. This is an area we agree needed to be buffed a bit, especially when it comes to rewarding players for doing well in-game. We're upping the number of Credits you get for a match across the board, and specifically bumping the top players on each team by even more.

Earn 3X more Credits daily in Arcade Mode. It's been made clear that you were hitting the Arcade Mode Credit cap faster than we expected, so we wanted to alleviate that by increasing it to 1500 Credits. While we're still looking into ways to add more content into it the mode in the long-term, we think that this should help in the near-term for those who want rewards for completing the different scenarios.

Daily Login Crates will now provide more crafting parts than before. You'll notice the change right away when you log in. Crafting the Star Cards you want will help make sure you're progressing in the direction you want, and we absolutely wantto empower that. This should help you get where you want to go faster when it comes to crafting and upgrading.

Things kick into high gear over the next few weeks, during the Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II The Last Jedi Season, with free* heroes, maps, and vehicles. Stormtrooper-turned-hero Finn joins the fight for the Resistance and Captain Phasma steps on to the battlefront for the First Order. New locations and vehicles will also arrive: you can fight on the ground on the salt-covered planet of Crait in Galactic Assault mode, or take to space in the Starfighter Assault map of D'Qar (flying Tallie Lintra's RZ-2 A-wing, a vehicle you'll be seeing in the film).

And, of course, Iden Versio returns in Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II Resurrection during the days of the First Order’s rise to power. These new chapters of Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II’s single-player story mode will be available December 13.

Thank you again for your passion around this game. Star Wars™ is special to all of us, and we all want to experience that world in fun, exciting ways. If you're already playing the game and are loving it, we want to thank you for taking the time to do so. We have a lot planned, and are excited to show you what’s to come.

RocketMagnet 12-04-2017 02:21 PM

I suppose you can learn a great deal but totally ignore what you've learned... as UFC demonstrates.

As much as it pains me it seems like the only way to stop this nonsense is legislation including cosmetics which is essentially the same as gameplay advantage as the mechanism is the same.

Switching the numbers around makes no difference, the game is "tuned" to manipulate the maximum gouging not gameplay. I still don't understand why people with limited gameplay time should pay money to skip content... totally alien to me to pay more for less.

Star Wars(TM) "is special to us" ... well I beg to differ as clearly it's not, by shoehorning grind and MTs into the game this demonstrates the exact opposite I feel. I suppose if Starwars(TM) = Children's Money, then it makes perfect sense.

ashikenshin 12-04-2017 02:26 PM

The only way to save this game is to remove loot crates and micro transactions, daily login bonuses belong in cellphone games not “AAA” games. But, that won’t happen so, this game is trash and will be forever trash

MavenACTG 12-04-2017 03:25 PM

This update... hell... this entire GAME is naked about its capitalistic / corporate mindset. "Now have higher productivity during this holiday period to buy our products!"

Galaxy of Heroes utilizes the same model. Get people hooked on your mechanics, release in-game products (heroes, weapons, etc) harping on the current front-line product release (movies) that can be purchased with time or hard currency, create a "launch" event lasting one or two weeks where early adopters save a little time towards maximum unlock (maybe getting 30% towards a fully unlocked character), repeat every month or so.

The Star Wars movies aren't just furthering a story people care about, it's reinvigorating the ancillary products and licensing tie-ins. It's applying a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart of this cultural empire that would be snuffed out without contributions from fans or corporate entities.

I played Doom for the first time last week. The guitar riffs in that game and how the music works with the action is far and away superior in its impact to an online multiplayer slog where, if you're streaming and editing for just the highlights, you might have a moment worth remembering after hours of gameplay.

Emabulator 12-04-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2500446)
The only way to save this game is to remove loot crates and micro transactions, daily login bonuses belong in cellphone games not “AAA” games. But, that won’t happen so, this game is trash and will be forever trash

CODWWIII got it right. You earn the weapons and gear through play. And you get a ton of loot crates for free anyway. It's all cosmetic. The best thing you can get are weapon skins that provide a 10 or 15 percent XP boost. The starting weapons for each 'Division' (class) are potent and competitive. You come out of the gate with a fair shot.

Games like Team Fortress 2, Overwatch and CoD make a fortune without taking it that one step too far. EA has ruined its sports games with pay-to-win multiplayer (virtual card packs; what a load of crap!), and now they have destroyed two big franchises (Battlefront and Need For Speed) with the same predatory design.

vallor 12-04-2017 09:23 PM

Wow, glad they put all this thought into the new patch-work fix instead of actually, ya know, letting people actually get the whole game without the gimmick unlock Pay To Win lotto.

This totally fixes all the problems. Good jerb EA and DICE. No problems at all now.

sticky 12-04-2017 11:56 PM

All of this garbage is overblown.

The game is awesome. Most fun I've had playing online since... Who knows.

MadMurdock_0311 12-05-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticky (Post 2500482)

The game is awesome. Most fun I've had playing online since... Who knows.

No, it really isn't overblown. Gamers need to nip this in the bud before it gets worse. And to do that, they need to put their wallets away, and show publishers that they can't keep nickle-and-diming us.

Cranium 12-05-2017 06:17 AM

But its for balance - account balance.

Terran 12-05-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticky (Post 2500482)

The problem with gaming, defined right here; apathy in the face of abusive, manipulative treatment.

sticky 12-06-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2500497)
The problem with gaming, defined right here; apathy in the face of abusive, manipulative treatment.

Sounds like you need to make more money.

EA can charge whatever they want to. Nobody is forced to buy it.

I LOVE the game.

Terran 12-06-2017 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticky (Post 2500566)

Nah, I'm fine thanks. Sounds like folks like you need to stop bending over and encouraging abusive corporate greed. You get lube with that?

PatrickRes9 12-06-2017 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2500576)
Nah, I'm fine thanks. Sounds like folks like you need to stop bending over and encouraging abusive corporate greed. You get lube with that?

Right? Exactly. People are supporting shitty business practices with their dollar, because they can't control themselves, and get all caught up in the marketing and hype, and that shapes the landscape of the video game industry - my favorite hobby - into garbage directions. I don't want full $60 games to turn into the mobile game experience, where you're nickel and dimed at every turn, bombarded with ads, or forced to grind it out for eternity if you don't pay up extra.

Some people forget, loot boxes and microtransactions don't just exist in themselves. They shape the way the game plays with their existence. The developers then HAVE to make the game grindy as fuck, because no one would spend more money on microtransactions otherwise. It influences gameplay. Negatively. As it tries to convince you to spend more money.

But this happens all the time, with many many other things. The stupid majority wins, and those smarter than the status quote just have to deal with it.

Chimpbot 12-06-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticky (Post 2500566)

It's not a matter of "making more money"; spending money on this game - regardless of how much someone makes - is supporting anti-consumer business practices.

Quote:

EA can charge whatever they want to. Nobody is forced to buy it.
You're damn right; they can charge whatever they want...and with the systems implemented with this particular game, I'm not going to spend a dime on it. At this point, it doesn't matter how much they roll back or redesign; anything published by EA is going to be a hard pass until they adjust their business model.

Buying this game is supporting anti-consumer business practices designed to squeeze as much out of us as possible.

Quote:

I LOVE the game.
Part of me is bummed that I'm missing out on what appears to be a fun title...but fortunately for me, there are a shitload of great games out there aside from this single Star Wars title. I'm not hurting in the least for skipping out on this one.

Mozain 12-06-2017 08:16 AM

For all the hate I see this game getting, not one person has been able to tell me how this is not a positive direction to move the game compared to the last one (Battlefront 2015).

Now I'm not talking about the industry, other games, anything else. Just Battlefront (2015) to Battlefront II (2017). Everything about it has improved, and the loot boxes (as shitty as they are) are far more consumer friendly than the previous iteration.

Mojopin 12-06-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2500588)
For all the hate I see this game getting, not one person has been able to tell me how this is not a positive direction to move the game compared to the last one (Battlefront 2015).

This is EA, we don't do "positive" around here... ;)

vallor 12-06-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2500588)

Now I'm not talking about the industry, other games, anything else. Just Battlefront (2015) to Battlefront II (2017). Everything about it has improved, and the loot boxes (as shitty as they are) are far more consumer friendly than the previous iteration.

I was shocked speechless when you told me how hostile the approach was with BF1. Even in comparison to BF2 it seemed extremely abusive.

That said, we need the one step forward two steps back approach. We got the one step forward from an extremely abusive system to a less abusive system. Now maybe next version we'll get the two steps back so we revert to the good ol' days where games (at least in the western world) had little to no Pay to Win abuse in the systems at all.

It will take holding the line against games like BF2 and others which try to push this sort of monetization scheme. If we pay full price for a game and they tack on microtransactions, especially Pay to Win it is up to the gamers to push back and either not buy the game (preferably) or not participate in the MTX economy (lesser of the evils). Unfortunately I think once someone gets the game and starts getting owned I think they'll be strongly encouraged (forced) to participate or be frustrated getting killed mercilessly by those who do.

Mozain 12-06-2017 04:11 PM

I don't think we can go back too far though, that's the problem. I mean yah it's great to get a game and have it be that, but we all wanted more content for our games, and now we're living in that reality.

Gone are the days where (most) devs will produce additional content off initial sales. I don't think that we're headed back to strings free additional content any time soon, and expansion packs only split the player base. So there needs to be a continued monetization plan in place.

What's the solution to this? Cosmetics? Sure, but in my opinion when you go down that route, it's only a matter of time before the "clown" costumes come out (I'm looking at you R6:S and For Honor... at least it fits in Overwatch), and at that point I'm done.

And as a personal anecdote I have yet to actually get a crate in Battlefront II (outside of the daily crate that is). They really aren't necessary at all to score high in any mode. But that's just been my experience as someone who has like 3 level 3 cards total and then maybe 6 level 1 cards? I don't really pay attention to it to be honest as they don't seem to affect play to any noticeable level for me.

sticky 12-07-2017 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2500576)

Lube with what? My free time? Sorry I'm an adult and don't have time to play a video game all day.

Oh no a few bucks bothers you? Get a real job.

Nobody forces you to give EA money.

vallor 12-07-2017 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2500672)
What's the solution to this? Cosmetics? Sure, but in my opinion when you go down that route, it's only a matter of time before the "clown" costumes come out (I'm looking at you R6:S and For Honor... at least it fits in Overwatch), and at that point I'm done.

DOTA does a LOT in cosmetics and not just new skins for their champions. From announcers (like having Rick and Morty doing the play-by-play of your match, which is pretty awesome), custom loading screens, to cosmetic changes to how the battleground looks, to special one-of-a-kind looks. They make heaps of money and it is entirely voluntary.

They fund a free to play game and their $10m and $20m tournaments from this sort of stuff. Maybe EA should look at works there instead of trying the Pay 2 Win track.

A $60 game with a super compelling set of cosmetics could be a winner. What if Yoda was the voice over for every call out for you in multiplayer and it was cool? "Shot in the head were you!" Or Vader "I find your lack of accuracy disturbing."