Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rumor: Bandai Namco Working On Switch-Exclusive FPS And Ridge Racer 8 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251492)

Emabulator 02-07-2018 02:42 PM

Rumor: Bandai Namco Working On Switch-Exclusive FPS And Ridge Racer 8

Game Informer is spreading the rumor that Bandai Namco is working on a Switch-Exclusive FPS And Ridge Racer 8.

Quote:

Late last night, a LinkedIn profile was discovered of a developer at Bandai Namco, which seemingly spilled a lot of beans about the company's upcoming projects.

The LinkedIn bio made reference to several projects past and present, as is the point of the resume-oriented website, but also tipped its hand on games that have yet to be announced. In one instance, the profile references an "Unannounced IP (First Person Shooter/Adventure Exclusive to the Nintendo Switch)," which is very specific wording.

Another listing outright refers to Ridge Racer 8, a game which has not been announced in any capacity from Bandai Namco, and details it as a "drift-based high speed car racing [game] exclusive to the Nintendo Switch."

While now removed from the profile, his accomplishments have referenced leading meetings for both Bandai Namco and presentations to Nintendo, as well as recent work modernizing the user interface in older games for current standards. Bandai Namco has been heavily speculated as Nintendo's partner for Metroid Prime 4, just as they were for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, which would fit the "First-Person Adventure" distinction fairly well.

In November last year, Bandai Namco said that they are planning three "big" Switch exclusives for 2018, but did not give any details on the titles. The Singapore studio is primarily made up of LucasArts developers, including the former Star Wars 1313 team.

blackzc 02-07-2018 02:54 PM

Could it be Metriod?

TheHulk 02-07-2018 04:16 PM

Had a lot of fun with the original Ridge Racer back in the day. Good news.

Hellstorm 02-07-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2505663)
Could it be Metriod?

It's Metroid. Let the worrying begin.

Also it's no surprise that RR is exclusive. :D

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/stat...76591661957120

JazGalaxy 02-07-2018 10:56 PM

I donít care for most Ridge Racer games, but ironically R4 is one of the greatest racing games of all time.

karaliusbronius 02-08-2018 07:53 AM

Ridge Racer belongs on my PS4. Thats that.

Scherge 02-08-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2505690)

I agree. "Ridge Racer" and the PlayStation belong together. Although I have to admit that Namco has systematically worked at killing the franchise. The first game was amazing, and "Rage Racer" topped it with more cars, more tracks and actual game progression. "Ridge Racer Type 4" had amazing car designs and a motivating progression as well, but I felt that the handling started to suffer. This continued with RRV and, of course, the two boost fests that came after. The less said about "Ridge Racer Unbounded" the better. And was "Ridge Racer: Driftopia" ever released? I vaguely remember my futile attemps to find it on the PlayStation store. Not that I had high hopes for it to begin with...

Hydroeric 02-08-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2505690)

Even with the amazing sales of Switch for year one, I would suspect Bandai doesn't want to exclude PS4 and even XBoxOne from possible sales numbers.

If it is a 'exclusive' to Switch, perhaps only a 'timed exclusive'.

JazGalaxy 02-08-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydroeric (Post 2505733)
Even with the amazing sales of Switch for year one, I would suspect Bandai doesn't want to exclude PS4 and even XBoxOne from possible sales numbers.

If it is a 'exclusive' to Switch, perhaps only a 'timed exclusive'.

I donít think the Ridge Racer brand wants to be anywhere near Sonyís console anymore. Ridge Racer is an arcade game which means that, graphically, it canít compete with the sim games like Fortza.

Ridge Racer isnít a prestige title any longer.

Chimpbot 02-09-2018 07:30 AM

RIIIIIDGE RACER!

Also, while I initially scoffed at the idea of Bandai Namco being behind Metroid Prime 4, they actually working on it. This makes me kinda nervous.

PatrickRes9 02-09-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2505785)

RIIIIIDGE RACER!

Also, while I initially scoffed at the idea of Bandai Namco being behind Metroid Prime 4, they actually working on it. This makes me kinda nervous.

Well, it's Prime 4, which means Nintendo is holding their hand very tightly if they're working on it. My guess is, just like Smash Wii U (which turned out great), Namco Singapore is likely there to help push Prime ahead and do some of the code heavy lifting.

I'm not worried, especially in light of how great Odyssey and BotW turned out. Nintendo will be the final say on Prime 4 even if Namco is helping out, and Nintendo has been producing quality work lately. I think Nintendo is likely well aware that if Prime 4 isn't outstanding, they'll have a mutinty of rage and anger to deal with. I'm fully expecting Nintendo to continue the trend and knock it out of the park with Prime 4, even with Namco helping them.

blackzc 02-09-2018 10:15 AM

If Namco is doing Prime i wonder what Retro is doing. DK on WiiU was their last game. SO many good games coming for the Switch.

Hellstorm 02-09-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2505805)
If Namco is doing Prime i wonder what Retro is doing. DK on WiiU was their last game. SO many good games coming for the Switch.

DKCR 3 more than likely.

PatrickRes9 02-09-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellstorm (Post 2505834)
DKCR 3 more than likely.

Same thought. I think Namco is going to help push Metroid Prime 4 through the grind and across the finish line with Nintendo's supervision, and Retro is working on DKCR 3. Strange though. I'm a pretty big fan of Nintendo's IP. Obviously. But I never cared for DKCR so much, despite the pretty big fanbase it has. I know it does different things, but generally speaking, it was always second-fiddle to Mario Kart for me, and I always felt I didn't really need 2 mascot driven racing games.

JazGalaxy 02-09-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2505795)
Well, it's Prime 4, which means Nintendo is holding their hand very tightly if they're working on it. My guess is, just like Smash Wii U (which turned out great), Namco Singapore is likely there to help push Prime ahead and do some of the code heavy lifting.

I'm not worried, especially in light of how great Odyssey and BotW turned out. Nintendo will be the final say on Prime 4 even if Namco is helping out, and Nintendo has been producing quality work lately. I think Nintendo is likely well aware that if Prime 4 isn't outstanding, they'll have a mutinty of rage and anger to deal with. I'm fully expecting Nintendo to continue the trend and knock it out of the park with Prime 4, even with Namco helping them.

You think?

I donít know about that.

People forget, but Nintendo doesnít really care about Metroid. Thatís part of why try were cool with handing it over to Retro to make it into a first person shooter. That happened to do well for them, but Iím not sure it was because of their direct involvement. My understanding is that they basically made whatever game they wanted and then Miyamoto would come by and drop ideas.

Having Bandai Namco work on this kind of makes me wonder if they are pulling another Other M in trying to make a Metroid that sells well in Japan.

blackzc 02-10-2018 08:30 AM

I hope your wrong, but we will see. It is possible.

Metriod really doesn't sell all that well by Nintendo standards. 7 million for Prime 1, and 1 to 2 million for the rest of the games. Why spend the money when a Pokemon pinball or dungeon game can do that for much cheaper.

Hey, im fine with cheap 2d metriod games every year.

PatrickRes9 02-10-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2505851)
You think?

I don’t know about that.

People forget, but Nintendo doesn’t really care about Metroid. That’s part of why try were cool with handing it over to Retro to make it into a first person shooter. That happened to do well for them, but I’m not sure it was because of their direct involvement. My understanding is that they basically made whatever game they wanted and then Miyamoto would come by and drop ideas.

Having Bandai Namco work on this kind of makes me wonder if they are pulling another Other M in trying to make a Metroid that sells well in Japan.

That is true, though I don't see that happening this time around. Metroid's sales numbers have never been as good as they should be given the series' acclaim. But Nintendo's not stupid, and I think they understand things about timing.

First, I think they were just out of ideas with Metroid when they gave it to Retro. It's not quite that they didn't care. They didn't know how to evolve the game like they previously did with Mario and Zelda into 3D.

Second, I don't think there is any better timing for a quality Metroid game than 2018/2019 for Nintendo. We've had a dry spell, and people went bananas when they saw the Prime 4 logo at E3. They know that "year 2" is an important year for console momentum. They said that themselves just a week or two ago. I bet they might even get it released by early 2019. Nintendo also stated they want more "adult" titles on the Switch. Compared to a Mario game, I'd call Metroid more adult.

Third, they've actually been paying close attention, surprisingly, to fan feedback in the way of things like the Switch Reddit. They've even responded to things posted in the Switch Reddit via Twitter. Well NOA and Reggie did, at least. So they're seeing all of the gossip and talk about the game.

I mean, they knew that just showing the Prime 4 logo at E3 was going to set the internet on fire. I don't think you just drop a logo like that, generate all that hype, without some confidence behind it.

I don't know man. I'm pretty convinced it's going to be a good one. The timing just makes a ton of sense. But we'll see. Remember, part of the team working on it were working on Star Wars 1313 before it was scrapped because of the rights sell to Disney. That game looked really promising.

Chief Smash 02-10-2018 09:47 AM

Hopefully they go with more of a Prime 1 tone vs Prime 2 and 3 which just felt too different. The communications logs and written dialogue you found in 3 (maybe 2, I don't remember) really messed with that sense of isolation and exploration that Metroid usually does so well. I just finished Samus Returns a couple of weeks ago and it definitely had that lone exploration feeling. I know that was a remake but hopefully the success of that game means that they still know what makes Metroid feel like Metroid.

Mad Max RW 02-10-2018 11:14 AM

Playing through Metroid Prime Trilogy for the first time (currently about halfway through 1) and it's such a great game wasted by garbage controls. First person shooting is like driving a tank. The morph ball is cool. The level design is almost equally as brilliant and frustrating as Hexen. If a game ever deserved a proper PC port then Metroid Prime is at the very top of the list. It's a shame I don't think I can put up with the clunky tank controls for however many more hours until the end.