Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Microsoft To Offer Refunds On Digital Xbox One And PC Games (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244731)

Emabulator 04-12-2017 01:29 PM

Microsoft To Offer Refunds On Digital Xbox One And PC Games

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:

Microsoft will offer refunds for digital game purchases through Xbox Live across Xbox One and PC, according to an image of an upcoming update posted on Reddit.

Information on the refund program was issued to those participating in the Xbox Insider Program, which allows members to test new features before they are made available to the wider Xbox community.

"You’ve spoken; we've listened," reads the message. "In support of offering gamers the freedom of choice, we're making changes to the Microsoft Store purchase experience by offering customers a simple way to instantly return digital products like games and apps through account.microsoft.com.

"When a game or app leaves you wanting more, we're here to help. Self-service refunds on Xbox One and Windows 10 provide a quick, simple way of returning a digital product."

vallor 04-12-2017 01:32 PM

That's unusually customer friendly for Microsoft...

Ozymandis 04-12-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2480108)

Yes. Now we need Sony to follow suit.

gillman 04-12-2017 04:02 PM

Wonder what the time owned on a product is for it to be applicable.

DeluxE 04-12-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2480108)

Funny, Microsoft has been the most customer-friendly game company I've ever dealt with.

From back in ye olde 360 days, they always made it very easy to get answers or repairs, and their reps were always super friendly and patient. I've never had a complaint about their service.

The products haven't always worked so well, but my impression was that they were always aiming for that Nintendo sweet-spot, which from the sound of the issues surrounding the Switch, maybe not even Nintendo has anymore :(

Terran 04-12-2017 08:48 PM

OMG, back in the days of the 360 their product melted on millions of people and their customer support was shit as a result of their delay in deciding whether to bite the billion dollar extended warranty bullet or not, in addition to taking OVER A YEAR to fix the licensing issues created by digital content being tied not only to an account at that time but to the BOX as well, with no transfer possible at that time, therefore if your box died the ONLY way to access digital content was to be online in your gamertag, which SCREWED folks with kids who wanted to play digital content under their own gamertags offline and couldn't.

FFS. Their customer support during the RRoD days with the 360 is the reason I no longer game on consoles.

brandonjclark 04-12-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillman (Post 2480119)

Great question. I say 24-48 hours.

TDiddy 04-12-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillman (Post 2480119)

Within 14 days of purchase, games must have been launched (played), and less than 2 hours play time. Does not apply to DLC.

Scherge 04-13-2017 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDiddy (Post 2480140)
Within 14 days of purchase, games must have been launched (played), and less than 2 hours play time. Does not apply to DLC.

Did you just copy that from Steam, or is there an official source for these details on Xbox?

Also, why must the game have been launched? I understand that, in theory (!), you have to try something in order to know you don't like it. But with digital games and the short attention span of people who buy them, couldn't a customer just have changed his/her mind?

Chimpbot 04-13-2017 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2480145)
Did you just copy that from Steam, or is there an official source for these details on Xbox?

Also, why must the game have been launched? I understand that, in theory (!), you have to try something in order to know you don't like it. But with digital games and the short attention span of people who buy them, couldn't a customer just have changed his/her mind?

No, it's straight from Microsoft.

ElektroDragon 04-13-2017 09:29 AM

This is so awesome..... definitely would make me go all Scorpio later this year.

LostToys 04-13-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2480145)

Each transaction, when reversed, has to be payed in the full amount that the customer paid, not what the seller received. All forms of payment have transaction fees (range from 1 to 3%) which are non-refundable. So every time that Microsoft refunds $60.00, they are losing 80 cents to a $1.80. That can add up to millions of lost dollars overtime because people were not paying attention to what they were buying or purchasing with reckless abandon.

DeluxE 04-13-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2480134)
OMG, back in the days of the 360 their product melted on millions of people and their customer support was shit as a result of their delay in deciding whether to bite the billion dollar extended warranty bullet or not, in addition to taking OVER A YEAR to fix the licensing issues created by digital content being tied not only to an account at that time but to the BOX as well, with no transfer possible at that time, therefore if your box died the ONLY way to access digital content was to be online in your gamertag, which SCREWED folks with kids who wanted to play digital content under their own gamertags offline and couldn't.

FFS. Their customer support during the RRoD days with the 360 is the reason I no longer game on consoles.

I guess different problems lead to different perspectives.

Personally I went through 4 360s over the decade that console ran for. Every time I had to get one repaired, or had to troubleshot something with someone over the phone, Microsoft was always polite, fast and cleared up my problem 9 times out of ten.

Also, the cost of repairing a 360 was literally HALF what Sony wanted to charge me to fix my PS3 when the emotion engine melted down on me.

subroc 04-13-2017 11:14 PM

MS have always been good to me too. They may not succeed a lot of the times, but it looks to me that they're mostly trying to do good for consumers. From what I understand, the vast majority of the MS douchbaggery happens in the enterprise space, which most of us have nothing to do with.