Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Four years after it was announced, Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254648)

Emabulator 07-16-2018 01:41 PM

Four years after it was announced, Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:

When Dave Jones, one of the chief creators of Lemmings, Grand Theft Auto and the first Crackdown game, took to the stage during Microsoft's 2015 Gamescom media briefing to present pre-alpha in-game footage of Crackdown 3, gamers were promised a competitive multiplayer open-world experience with "100 per cent destructible environments". By connecting to the Microsoft cloud, Crackdown 3 would benefit from 20 times the computational power of the Xbox One, we were told. As virtual buildings blew apart in the most realistic, expansive way we'd ever seen in a video game before, Crackdown fans dared to dream about the kind of game they would eventually play.

As with so much to do with video games, however, dreams rarely turn into reality.

Fast forward to 2018 and Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot. It's suffered multiple delays, met with apathy online and was even rumoured to be cancelled. Behind the scenes, developers - a raft of developers - have worked hard to turn Crackdown 3 into a real video game that will actually come out. They have faced multiple challenges along the way, which, people close to the project speaking with Eurogamer anonymously have indicated, has a lot to do with that pesky cloud-powered multiplayer, its "100 per cent destructible environments" and exactly who is - and isn't - working on the game.
Read on.

MadMurdock_0311 07-16-2018 02:23 PM

I wanted this game, but the more they push back that release date, the less interested I become. I still want to play it, but constant delays tell me it's a dumpster-fire (Duke Nukem Forever, anyone?).

At least Blizz does the whole "When it's done", like, fuck setting a release date until we know for certain we can meet it. Sure, RockStar has a history of delays, but they're a proven** developer/publishing house, so it's not as worrisome.

I just hope this game delivers, because I enjoyed the first two.

**Let's just forget about Manhunt 2, Table Tennis, and State of Emergency.

LostToys 07-16-2018 03:03 PM

The marketing has been attrocious for this title. One of the things about Crackdown was that you were just some nameless cop taking orders and distributing justice to the city. Now they have been pumping Terry Crews as that face for the game, and as much as I love Terry Crews, I do not want to play as Terry Crews in Crackdown.

Chimpbot 07-16-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2517066)
The marketing has been attrocious for this title. One of the things about Crackdown was that you were just some nameless cop taking orders and distributing justice to the city. Now they have been pumping Terry Crews as that face for the game, and as much as I love Terry Crews, I do not want to play as Terry Crews in Crackdown.

Yeah, it kinda works better when you're just Nameless Super Cop.

I fuckin' love Terry Crews, but you're right; I don't necessarily want to play as Terry Crews in Crackdown. Maybe another game, though.

Okay. Definitely another game. Terry Crews is awesome. He should have gotten the sequel to Shaq Fu.

Scherge 07-17-2018 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2517074)
Terry Crews is awesome. He should have gotten the sequel to Shaq Fu.

That made me chuckle. :D

As for "Crackdown 3"... It wasn't just the "personal" touch of the marketing campaign that rubbed me the wrong way. The whole project smelled fake from the word go! "The Cloud" is just another computer on the internet. Sure, it might be good for some random background calculations or storing additional data, but haven't people learned anything from the OnLive debacle? To me, the 2015 "gameplay" trailer and presentation were just as ridiculous as the "Milo" demo or the first "Kinect" trailers (remember the skateboard-scanning feature?).

Microsoft seems adamant to produce something that at least resembles the vision from these first trailers, chewing up and spitting out developers left and right. Well, maybe with the added computing power of the X.B.O.X., they will eventually be able to pull it off. I really don't see the point, though. Destruction is nice, but the first game (let's not talk about the second) was about using the environment, not destroying it! Just reduce the scale of the destruction and focus on cool, vertical level design!

Snipee 07-17-2018 04:20 AM

At this point I wouldnít be upset if it was canceled.0

ministryofwrath 07-17-2018 09:14 AM

I wanted this game to come out, loved the first one, hated the second one.

It could have set a new standard for destructible environments, Hopefully it still will...

Primus 07-17-2018 10:03 PM

If they can just match the first one with 4 player co-op I will be very happy.

vallor 07-17-2018 10:41 PM

The whole cloud mumbo jumbo is a bunch of crap that MS has never been able to get right in all the years since the Xbox One released. It was one of the reasons they felt they could ship the underpowered console to begin with, since they’d push everything off to the cloud.

Now they have the X1X I guess that can cover for the cloud but I’m not sure how they cover for the standard X1. Also, I doubt everything is going to resolve around Terry Crews, I think that’s probably just for marketing purposes.

Wizzkidd 07-18-2018 06:03 AM

I just hope all the delays mean it will be good. I always say I'd rather a company delay a game than release it too soon. Hopefully this will be a good example of that.