Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Blizzard Hires Top Writer for Cyberpunk 2077 Away From CD Projekt Red (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258321)

Evil Avatar 01-23-2019 07:58 PM

Blizzard Hires Top Writer for Cyberpunk 2077 Away From CD Projekt Red

Quote:

Blizzard is adding another top talent to its roster of game developers.

Former CD Projekt Red creative director Sebastian Stepien has left the Poland-based game studio for a new role at Blizzard Entertainment, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. A Blizzard rep said Stepien had joined the company in a development capacity. No further information about his new role was shared.

Stepien was one of three creative directors on CD Projekt Red's 2015 hit The Witcher 3 and served as a writer on the first two games in the fantasy series. Stepien was also the head writer for CD Projekt Red's upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, an open-world RPG set in the future.

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most anticipated games currently in development, though no release date has been set.

Meanwhile, Blizzard is known for such high-profile franchises as Warcraft, Diablo, StarCraft and Overwatch.
HollywoodReporter.

I wonder what the mystery project Blizzard needs new writers for? Are we finally going to see a Warcraft 4?

Sensei-X 01-23-2019 08:04 PM

Maybe it's World of Overwatch, and it'll all come full circle after the cancellation of Titan.

karaliusbronius 01-23-2019 08:17 PM

I want more gameplay of Cyberpunk!! I'm so stoked for the game, CD Projekt Red is more for adults than the kiddy mainstream crap that Blizzard comes out with. Crap is just my opinion but I've played all their games and there are better games in each of their genres but fanboys of Blizzard just turn their eye to them. Its smart for them to get this creative director away but he is only doing this for the cash or because others at CD Projekt Red are showing themselves to be better.

brandonjclark 01-23-2019 08:30 PM

I think I said awhile back that Blizzard could do a Witcher-Style game very well. Also, that type of game is currently missing from their stable.

I think it's coming.

Phoenix1985 01-23-2019 08:53 PM

Considering the awful writing on Starcraft 2 and a lot of Diablo 3, they probably need that help. But then he might be constrained by their editorial mandates. Who knows?

thatlukeguy 01-23-2019 09:02 PM

They must be mostly finished and just polishing up the game. I'm hoping for a 2019 release.

brandonjclark 01-23-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatlukeguy (Post 2529103)
They must be mostly finished and just polishing up the game. I'm hoping for a 2019 release.

https://i.imgur.com/W97AXB0.jpg

Exodus 01-23-2019 10:29 PM

starcraft ghost thanks

SpectralThundr 01-23-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 (Post 2529101)
Considering the awful writing on Starcraft 2 and a lot of Diablo 3, they probably need that help. But then he might be constrained by their editorial mandates. Who knows?

Perhaps they realize both were dumpster wrecks narrative wise. Rumor has it D4 is in pre production. So say 2029-30

actusoul 01-23-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2529097)
I think I said awhile back that Blizzard could do a Witcher-Style game very well. Also, that type of game is currently missing from their stable.

I think it's coming.

I hope your right. I am still floored by God of War. If Blizzard could do a 3rd person or 1st person combat Fantasy game with a great story and all the traditional stats etc. The stat boosts would be evident in the combat. How about in the Diablo universe? This is game I would look forward too.

Wizzkidd 01-24-2019 04:30 AM

Quote:

I wonder what the mystery project Blizzard needs new writers for? Are we finally going to see a Warcraft 4?
I wish, but I won't ever believe they'll make a real Warcraft game again until I see it happen.

Chief Smash 01-24-2019 04:56 AM

I think Blizzard needs to reboot their major franchises. Start with a Diablo 4 or a Warcraft 4 and hopefully this guy can help their abysmal writing. In the past, their games were fine, even great, and the story didn't harm much because they weren't always trying to be too ambitious. Once the stories started to get too big, the weakness in the writing showed. I looked past the major story flaws and still loved their games because they had fun mechanics and loads of polish. But overall I don't hold out much hope. I want to be wrong but I feel like this guy just jumped on a sinking ship.

Vulture 01-24-2019 06:14 AM

I wonder what Stepien is looking forward to, since C2077 is done writing wise, and we all know W4 is at least 4 years away. Did he take the Blizzard job in order to write something new or to reboot their existing properties.

/how good a deal de he get coming to Blizzard authority wise?

ElektroDragon 01-24-2019 11:17 AM

Need Diablo 4. Screw Warcraft. I mean, OK, it was one of the best RTS out there, but I tend to hate RTS.

Skunk 01-24-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2529166)
Need Diablo 4. Screw Warcraft. I mean, OK, it was one of the best RTS out there, but I tend to hate RTS.

Yeah, so fuck everyone else right?

Sensei-X 01-24-2019 07:06 PM

People now: Boohooo, why won't Blizzard give us Diablo 4?
People then: ZOMG Diablo 3 is such a piece of rainbow colored shit!

MavenACTG 01-25-2019 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2529197)

That is pretty much most online denizens below a certain age's MO!

SpectralThundr 01-25-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensei-X (Post 2529198)
People now: Boohooo, why won't Blizzard give us Diablo 4?
People then: ZOMG Diablo 3 is such a piece of rainbow colored shit!

If they went back to their roots and realized what made the first 2 great games, they could recapture that magic. Dark, gritty, lots of skills that were useful rather than cookie cutter builds since 99% of the skills in D3 are terrible, character building rather than streamlining to the point that it's just bad. etc.

Won't hold my breath of course as I've seen Blizzard as a sinking ship for far longer than most but it could happen.

Chief Smash 01-25-2019 10:04 AM

D2's build variety is just flat out overrated. Sure you could choose lots of different builds but there were really only a few correct builds. To say that 99% of D3's skills are useless but not call out D2 for the same isn't really fair. It was the illusion of choice. The writing in D2 is also overrated. That Worldstone thing at the end of the expansion was just stupid. The tone in D2 was also a step down from D1 so if we're going to hearken back to the old days, D1 was where it was at. It plays a bit slow and lacks some quality of life features by today's standards but overall it's still the best game in the series. Calling out D3 in favor of D2 is lazy. Personally, if it weren't for the horrendous writing, I count D3 post expansion as a superior game to D2.

Terran 01-25-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2529197)

I'm voting for you. RUN!