Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One Quarter One Play - Time Pilot (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261239)

BeardedSonOfNel 06-23-2019 01:15 PM

One Quarter One Play - Time Pilot

This week Iím having a blast playing Time Pilot. So, come on inside, learn a little more about the game, and see how far I can make it on one quarter, and no practice rounds.

Click the headline to read more, and watch the video.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-23-2019 01:15 PM

Time Pilot is a fun multidirectional SHMUP that was released in the arcades in 1982. Time Pilot was designed by Yoshiki Okamoto for Konami, and published by Konami for the EU, and Japan. Centuri published the game for North American arcades. A year later Time Pilot would be ported to the Atari 2600, ColecoVision, and the MSX.

The game’s designer Yoshiki Okamoto did one other game for Konami which is the classic Gyruss. He then joind Capcom. At Capcom he was involved with the following games.
  • 1942 – Director
  • SonSon – Director
  • Side Arms – Director
  • Gun Smoke – Director
  • Forgotten Worlds – Director
  • Final Fight – Producer
  • Street Fighter II – Producer
  • Resident Evil – Producer
  • Resident Evil 2 – Producer

Time Pilot was a game that I have never played in an arcade (it never made it to mine). I wish I would have had the opportunity to play it back in the day because this is a fun game. Like many early arcade games your goal is to score the most points. That said Time Pilot did have a small story, and five levels to play through.

The story is simple enough. You assume the roll of a pilot from the future, and you’re trying to rescue fellow pilots trapped in different time eras. In each level you will have to blast through hordes of enemy aircraft while trying to save parachuting pilots. After blasting 56 enemies, a boss aircraft will enter the stage. Blow up the boss, and you’ll transport to the next level.

Hardware wise this machine isn’t all that impressive.
Z80 CPU running at 3.072 MHz
Z80 CPU running at 1.79 MHz (used to control the sound chips)
(2) Ay-3-8910 Sound running at 1.79 MHz

As you can see I didn’t make it all that far. The game is much harder than it looks. That said with a few practice games I can usually get to the forth level.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-23-2019 01:38 PM

Here is a small clip of me playing the Atari 2600 port. This is a very bad port. Your bullet hit detection sucks, and it is a very frustrating game to play.

SpectralThundr 06-23-2019 03:17 PM

The original Florida site of Allied Leisure, what became Centuri which closed in 1985.
http://www.centuri.net/images/centuri-sat-photo.jpg

An original US Time Pilot marquee.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/26407...-1/s-l1000.jpg

BeardedSonOfNel 06-23-2019 04:16 PM

Nice SpectralThundr!

brandonjclark 06-23-2019 05:18 PM

Man that game brings me back! It was in an arcade in a mall I used to go to named Alladin's Castle.

Good time and cool thread series. Keep it up!

SpectralThundr 06-23-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2539979)
Man that game brings me back! It was in an arcade in a mall I used to go to named Alladin's Castle.

Good time and cool thread series. Keep it up!

We had an Alladin's in Danvers Mass, fun little fact the chain at one time was actually owned by Namco, yes the same Namco of Pac Man,Galaga etc. They didn't keep it very long because by the mid 80's between the crash and the dawn of home consoles the arcade industry was already starting it's decline.

Laz 06-23-2019 06:20 PM

Time Pilot was a fun game

Evil Avatar 06-24-2019 09:34 AM

Great game, but I remember never being very good at this one. I think my best games from this era were Zaxxon and Wizard of Wor.

On home consoles my best game was Tron for the Intellivision. I could play that one pretty much forever. Once you got the trick of killing the Recognizer, you could play forever.

Great videos, we need to get someone to make you a logo!

BeardedSonOfNel 06-24-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2540000)
Great game, but I remember never being very good at this one. I think my best games from this era were Zaxxon and Wizard of Wor.

On home consoles my best game was Tron for the Intellivision. I could play that one pretty much forever. Once you got the trick of killing the Recognizer, you could play forever.

Great videos, we need to get someone to make you a logo!

I like Zaxxon a lot, but suck at it :o

Yes a logo would be cool. I'm a programmer by nature, so I mess up stick figures :P

Evil Avatar 06-24-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2540003)
I like Zaxxon a lot, but suck at it :o

Yes a logo would be cool. I'm a programmer by nature, so I mess up stick figures :P

I know a fantastic artist, Iím sure for something like this we can work out a logo for you for a really fair price. I still owe him for a book cover though, I guess I better get that payment out to him first. Ha!

BeardedSonOfNel 06-24-2019 09:54 AM

I just told my oldest daughter I need an animated intro stat!

BeardedSonOfNel 06-24-2019 12:14 PM

Here is a small clip after I've had a few practice rounds :)