Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Halo Wars 2 Reviews "the right way to do real-time strategy experiences on a console" (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243428)

Emabulator 02-17-2017 05:52 AM

Halo Wars 2 Reviews "the right way to do real-time strategy experiences on a console"

EGM - 9.0/10

Quote:

As a fan of the original Halo Wars and RTS titles in general, I almost couldnít be happier with Halo Wars 2. It continues the story of some of my favorite characters in the expanded Halo universe in a fitting and fun way, while giving me the competitive, strategic gameplay I expect and crave from a game of this genre. I wish the campaign wouldíve given me a bit more length and freedom in a lot of scenarios, but other than that, Halo Wars once again shows the right way to do real-time strategy experiences on a console.
CGMagazine - 8/10

Quote:

Even without playing the new 3 on 3 multiplayer, I feel I can easily recommend Halo Wars 2 to both Halo fans and those hankering for an RTS on console. The controls are tight, the cutscenes are to die for, and there is a new cute AI that I want to be best friends with. If you aren't sold on the whole RTS thing, or it just isn't a genre you're interested in, then at the very least watch these cutscenes somewhere online, because they are damn impressive.
Destructoid - 7/10

Quote:

If you're craving an RTS on a console, or perhaps aren't particularly well-versed in the genre, Halo Wars 2 has you covered. It doesn't offer much that other games in the same space have given us over the past 10 years, but it's polished and fun to play.
GameSpot - 6/10

Quote:

Halo Wars 2 carries forth enough of the series' beloved elements to make any fan of Halo feel right at home at first, but not in the long run. Itís palatable for those used to the FPS games, taking inspiration from favorite missions and putting a strategic spin on them; but just when things become more challenging and actually interesting, it runs out of steam.
GamesRadar+ - 3/5

Quote:

Finding a compromise between designing an RTS for consoles and PC isnít easy (hence so few developers have tried it). Halo Wars 2, however, isnít a compromise, itís a console RTS ported to PC. Its competent but simple mechanics are wrapped around a good story that caters mainly to fans of the Halo universe.

Creative Assembly deserves props for the relentlessly zany Blitz mode, which throws up a curious vision for a direction that RTS could take in the future. I just wish that some of the creativity that went into making this genuinely fresh mode somehow permeated through the rest of the game.

Azrael 02-17-2017 07:20 AM

90% to 60%... thats a big variation

Scherge 02-17-2017 08:12 AM

I am soooo curious about the retail sales on this one. In Germany, JoWooD ... pardon, THQ Nordic is publishing the PC SKU, which contains the Xbox One ... err, one. Therefore, for probably the first time ever, the sales price for PC is higher than for XB1 (EUR 69.99 to 62.00, according to Amazon.de). I doubt it's going to work, but if it did, it could start an era of hybrid games: "Buy the console game and get the PC version for a tenner!"

Edit: I know this has been done before, by Microsoft, but never have they relied on a third party to sell a physical disc! Hm. Well, I assume there's a physical disc. The store description is pretty bare-bones...

Wizzkidd 02-17-2017 06:21 PM

I got the deluxe edition which let me start playing last night. Also if you buy digital you get it for both PC and Xbox. So I obviously played it on PC in 4k with the settings maxed. I just played a couple skirmishes against the ai, but it was awesome. I also got the first Halo Wars on PC/xbox for preordering or something, and I'm liking this new one better actually.

I've spent a lot of time on Halo Wars and RTS' in general, this one is definitely scratching that it. Can't wait to get home and play some more.

Chimpbot 02-18-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2473621)
I got the deluxe edition which let me start playing last night. Also if you buy digital you get it for both PC and Xbox. So I obviously played it on PC in 4k with the settings maxed. I just played a couple skirmishes against the ai, but it was awesome. I also got the first Halo Wars on PC/xbox for preordering or something, and I'm liking this new one better actually.

I've spent a lot of time on Halo Wars and RTS' in general, this one is definitely scratching that it. Can't wait to get home and play some more.

I really enjoyed the first Halo Wars and this one is more of the same...in the best way possible. My memory of the first is a little hazy and I haven't gotten my code for the "definitive edition", but Halo Wars 2 is a very, very solid RTS.

It's just a satisfying game that reminds me of Dawn of War 2 in many ways, albeit without the amazing squad/cover system. I'm glad I took the plunge and got it.

VenomUSMC 02-18-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2473677)
I really enjoyed the first Halo Wars and this one is more of the same...in the best way possible. My memory of the first is a little hazy and I haven't gotten my code for the "definitive edition", but Halo Wars 2 is a very, very solid RTS.

It's just a satisfying game that reminds me of Dawn of War 2 in many ways, albeit without the amazing squad/cover system. I'm glad I took the plunge and got it.

Feels like a mix of Dawn of War 2 and the early C&Cs to me.

Chimpbot 02-18-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VenomUSMC (Post 2473679)
Feels like a mix of Dawn of War 2 and the early C&Cs to me.

Yes, thank you. You hit the nail right on the head.

It's a setup that just feels good.