Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ori and the Will of the Wisps has gone GOLD (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265027)

Evil Avatar 01-29-2020 07:52 AM

Ori and the Will of the Wisps has gone GOLD

Quote:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps has Gone GOLD🌟! A big congratulations to Moon Studios and the entire team.

Unravel Ori's destiny on March 11th by pre-ordering the gorgeous Collector’s Edition from your favorite retailers! #OritheGame
Ori the Game.

NightRain 01-29-2020 11:12 AM

I expect this will be one of the best games of 2020

ElektroDragon 01-29-2020 03:25 PM

Not sure who is going to buy this considering it's on Game Pass at launch. :confused:

Evil Avatar 01-29-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2552771)
Not sure who is going to buy this considering it's on Game Pass at launch. :confused:

Putting all their exclusives on Games Pass is a huge mistake. It killed sales of both Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 and will probably kill the sales of this one as well.

I mean, it's a great way to get people to sign up for Games Pass, but if you are developer and you are losing 50% to 75% of your revenue, I doubt it's worth it.

NightRain 01-30-2020 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2552781)
Putting all their exclusives on Games Pass is a huge mistake. It killed sales of both Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 and will probably kill the sales of this one as well.

I mean, it's a great way to get people to sign up for Games Pass, but if you are developer and you are losing 50% to 75% of your revenue, I doubt it's worth it.

They consider both games you mentioned a success and other developers have commented on how they like the program and it boosts their games visibility. Plus developers get a cut of game pass fees.

DeluxE 01-30-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2552781)

Big picture: Microsoft wants Xbox to be their Netflix. They want everyone to pay a regular subscription fee, (once the deals are all over, Ultimate will come to around $180 a year) which amounts to about 3 games a year. Of course there are still lots of 3rd party games that everyone will buy, (hello Cyberpunk!) but this is probably the average amount most Playstation owners spend on 1st party games annually. One of the big advantages of this model is that Microsoft studios have less pressure to produce multi-million dollar franchise games; they can innovate, (like Ninja Theory) trying new things instead of just recycling familiar gameplay and IPs, (something all big studios struggle with).

Things are changing, even Sony is starting to recognize the threat from Gamepass, and I fully expect them to embrace a similar philosophy in the near future. Ori could be Xbox's Stranger Things - not necessarily a blockbuster, but big enough to sway a lot of attention in their direction.

wunshot 01-30-2020 02:58 PM

I'm actually playing the original on Switch right now. I love it, but man...it's friggen tough pretty early on. I'm in the Water Avatar's tree (whatever it's called), and I can't get through it before I get drowned for being a gimp.

Awesome game though. Looking forward to the sequel. I don't have an Xbox so I guess I'll have to play it on PC.