Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Last Quarter EA Took In $993 Million In Microtransactions (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265103)

BeardedSonOfNel 02-01-2020 04:14 PM

Last Quarter EA Took In $993 Million In Microtransactions

Via Gamespot
Quote:

Gaming giant Electronic Arts reported earnings for its holiday quarter today, and the company performed ahead of expectations. In particular, revenue from EA's microtransaction bucket--called Live Services--reached nearly $1 billion. Another highlight was Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, which performed above expectations.

As you can see in the chart below, EA made $993 million from live services during the quarter ended December 31. For the 12 months as a whole, EA made $2.835 billion from microtransactions. Have a look at the chart below to see all the numbers.

EA made a total of $1.593 billion in revenue for the quarter and $361 million in profit, so as you can see, microtransactions are very big business for EA. A major part of EA's microtransaction revenue comes from the Ultimate Team modes for EA's sports games, including FIFA, Madden, and NHL.

karaliusbronius 02-01-2020 05:59 PM

None of that was from me.

Dag-Sabot 02-01-2020 09:18 PM

Well conclusive proof people are retarded.

PatrickRes9 02-01-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot (Post 2552961)
Well conclusive proof people are retarded.

Quoted for truth.

And also, that's why we can't have nice things. Your average consumer is %@#%!^ stupid.

Booda 02-02-2020 07:15 AM

Woo hoo! Fuck Titanfall.

Give me more games like Apex Legends!

If it doesn’t have crappy gameplay, a micro transaction store, a battle pass & LGBTBBQ characters, all while being free to play... then fuck you. :rolleyes:

cjrizzo 02-02-2020 07:39 AM

Zero has come from me, but this proves that there is a market for microtransactions. We can hate on it all we want, but there are a lot of people buying. So, until they stop buying, I can't blame EA for taking advantage of the situation.

92miata 02-02-2020 08:53 AM

Carbon Based Units are so unbelievably easy to manipulate and put on useless payrolls.

Whackamolez 02-02-2020 10:40 AM

I have a co-worker who spends most of his weekly paycheck on Maddens Ultimate Team mode. then he quits for about a month and sells his cards to his online friends for maybe a hundred bucks. Then he goes right back to it. No matter how dumb any of us tell him he is

ascl 02-02-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjrizzo (Post 2552968)
Zero has come from me, but this proves that there is a market for microtransactions. We can hate on it all we want, but there are a lot of people buying. So, until they stop buying, I can't blame EA for taking advantage of the situation.

Unfortunately, the mobile gaming industry proved micro-transactions to be far and away the most profitable strategy. A small % of people spend massively, and a smaller, high paying, customer base is easier to manage than a large one that paid little. You know it's the wrong kind of gaming when they call customers "whales"!

You are right, this isn't going to stop until the money stops... or at least, other methods are also shown as profitable (which is why I will keep throwing money at CD Projeckt Red).

PatrickRes9 02-02-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whackamolez (Post 2552982)
I have a co-worker who spends most of his weekly paycheck on Maddens Ultimate Team mode. then he quits for about a month and sells his cards to his online friends for maybe a hundred bucks. Then he goes right back to it. No matter how dumb any of us tell him he is

Sounds about right. Unfortunately.

excalibur1814 02-03-2020 06:25 AM

I jumped onto Sim City Build It, last night, to be immediately faced with a box saying that they had a great deal for game cash - £54.

Fifty... four... pounds. Not a few pounds, or maybe even seven... £54.

That, to me, is just absolutely crazy.

...and just look what EA did to plants Vs Zombies. The darn game of the year. :(

blackzc 02-06-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92miata (Post 2552975)
Carbon Based Units are so unbelievably easy to manipulate and put on useless payrolls.

The trick is acknowledging this and taking advantage of this to make yourself money.

SpectralThundr 02-06-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whackamolez (Post 2552982)

NHL and MLB The Show both have modes like this. Me I stick to franchise mode and never have to pay a cent beyond the initial purchase in either title.