Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Blizzard Entertainment Unveils Mobile MMO Action-RPG Diablo Immortal (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256933)

Evil Avatar 11-05-2018 06:17 AM

Blizzard Entertainment Unveils Mobile MMO Action-RPG Diablo Immortal

Quote:

Blizzard Entertainment Unveils Mobile MMO Action-RPG Diablo Immortal

Blizzard Entertainment today unveiled the next game in the storied Diablo franchise, Diablo Immortal, a mobile massively multiplayer online action–role-playing game for Android and iOS devices. For the first time ever, Diablo players will be able to answer the call to battle on their phones.

Six iconic and highly customisable Diablo character classes will be available in Diablo Immortal—Barbarian, Crusader, Demon Hunter, Monk, Necromancer, and Wizard—each with new powers and abilities, with more playable classes planned for future updates. Designed to be a living, breathing, and constantly evolving experience, Diablo Immortal will regularly introduce new storylines, new playable character classes, new loot, and all-new challenges—which you can face side-by-side with your friends . . . or foolishly choose to confront on your own.

Players will have many opportunities to meet and socialize with other demon slayers while wandering the wilds of Sanctuary, or while conducting less-dangerous business—like upgrading gear, crafting items, or forming groups before setting off on their next adventure—in the city of Westmarch, Diablo Immortal’s sprawling central hub.

In their quest to cleanse Sanctuary, players will embark on all manner of thrilling expeditions, including taking part in dynamic events across unique public zones, and hacking and slashing their way through instanced dungeons. From the peaceful town of Wortham to the ancient Library of Zoltun Kulle to the suffocating jungle island of Bilefen, players will explore familiar vistas and until-now undiscovered corners of Sanctuary.

Diablo Immortal is a collaboration between Blizzard Entertainment and NetEase Games, who in addition to having developed some of the most successful mobile games in history, have been a longtime partner of Blizzard in China.

‘Diablo Immortal takes the series’ dark, gothic fantasy world of Sanctuary and inimitable Diablo gameplay, and puts it in your pocket,’ said J. Allen Brack, president of Blizzard Entertainment. ‘With their incredible passion for Diablo and proven mobile expertise, the development team has spawned an ultra-responsive and breathtakingly beautiful mobile game, and we can’t wait for players to get their hands on it.’

The transition from mouse-and-keyboard or controller to mobile touchscreen device was designed to feel completely natural, intuitive, and fun in Diablo Immortal. Directional controls make it easy to move heroes around the world, and activating a skill is as easy as holding a thumb down on a skill to aim, then releasing it to unleash hell on your foes. And reinforcements are always only a tap away thanks to the native Blizzard Battle.net UI designed specifically for Diablo Immortal, which allows you to chat and form groups with ease in the middle of the most frantic battle.

This new chapter of the blockbuster Diablo saga takes place between the end of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and the beginning of Diablo III. Leading the invasion of Sanctuary is the demon known as Skarn, Herald of Terror—Diablo’s most powerful lieutenant—who now rallies a new demonic army. Skarn intends to gather the fragments of the corrupted Worldstone and use them to resurrect Diablo.

Those eager to join the fight are encouraged to visit diabloimmortal.com to pre-register for special rewards and be among the first to experience Diablo Immortal. Pre-registered players are eligible to participate in future beta tests and earn in-game rewards, as well as receive news and updates.
Click on the Headline for the Trailers.

Evil Avatar 11-05-2018 06:17 AM

Nowyn 11-05-2018 08:14 AM

I've never been a huge Diablo player. My friends were huge Diablo 2 players and when Diablo 3 forced me to play it (alot of guilt tripping followed by threats of withdrawing the support of cookies) and they didnt stick with Diablo 3 for too long, mostly due to the horrible loot in the beginning of Diablo 3 and their real money auction house.

That being said, I've found that Diablo 3 on console was much more my speed and enjoyed that when I was bored, however I've just never seen the Diablo crowd as a mobile outing.

Blizzard can make their games where they want, its their IP but I dont see Diablo normal demographic being mobile. Usually Diablo people are all about loots, harder modes like Torment levels (which they dont have any plans of at this moment, and would be difficult to implement if you have some type of connectivity drop on your phone) and hardcore mode. All of which wouldnt really work on mobile phones.

Also alot of videos are out there of the company they are working with, Netease, having their own Diablo rip off and how identical it looks to what they showed at Blizzcon. So there is that.

Then the almost bewildered dev response of "Dont you all have phones?" seems to show that they arent in tune with their market. Announcing this as a "major Diablo announcement" is also puzzling. If they had made it a small announcement and mentioned they have other things going for Diablo and they were only ready to mention this one, then I think it would have gone over better.

One of my guild mates went to Blizzcon - I think this shows volumes of Blizzard's ineptitude here.

https://i.postimg.cc/GmHXBdXT/Screen...-Messenger.jpg

Azrael 11-05-2018 09:27 AM

I've read people were clamoring for a remake of D1 or D2... I dont understand where D4 or War 4 went! Thats teh content i'm after. Dont get me wrong, i'm psyched for War 3 remake but War 4 would have been so much better!

I'll prolly play this, but not to excited for it

EL CABONG 11-05-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 2523853)
I've read people were clamoring for a remake of D1 or D2... I dont understand where D4 or War 4 went! Thats teh content i'm after. Dont get me wrong, i'm psyched for War 3 remake but War 4 would have been so much better!

I'll prolly play this, but not to excited for it

War 4 probably won't happen when WoW is going semi well for lore reasons. I am Not an RTS guy but War 4 , D4 or a new IP would be a more exciting announcement than a reskinned mobile game.

MavenACTG 11-05-2018 12:47 PM

Two front page threads?

Chimpbot 11-05-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 2523853)

Folks have been clamoring for remakes/remasters of D1 and D2 (or, at the very least, versions that are more compatible with modern systems). D4 hasn't gone anywhere, either; Blizzard is working on multiple Diablo projects, one of which is undoubtedly the sequel

Mark Kern, one of the producers for Diablo 2 (and the team lead for Vanilla WoW) has summarized it best; this is Blizzard simply not understanding gamers anymore.

MavenACTG 11-05-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2523874)
this is Blizzard simply not understanding gamers anymore.

This is Activision Blizzard wanting the Chinese mobile market and never caring about the gamers beyond lip service. Morhaime's gone; he was one of the last of the old guard that would passionately defend the customer base and the ideals of Blizzard. Now it's just another subsidiary milking its IP.

I don't know why someone as experienced as Kern would attribute the company as a monolith to "not understanding gamers" while ignoring the very obvious business connection here and the influence the mobile market has. You don't need to be a game design genius to see that hocking a mobile game on a PC crowd was stupid.

Blizzard as a business unit wanted in on Mobile and was willing to cash in some prestige to get there.

EGO 11-05-2018 02:12 PM

Aren't most people on mobile playing f2p Korean dungeon crawlers that look as good or better than this, already?! And for FREE! This seems misguided.

Chief Smash 11-05-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2523876)
Morhaime's gone; he was one of the last of the old guard

Yeah Morhaime was a founder but I always got a bad vibe from the guy. I'm kind of glad to see him go but I'm not going to lie to myself and say that the company will necessarily be better off without him. Who knows what will happen but I'm getting the feeling that their best days are behind them.

SpectralThundr 11-05-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2523888)
Yeah Morhaime was a founder but I always got a bad vibe from the guy. I'm kind of glad to see him go but I'm not going to lie to myself and say that the company will necessarily be better off without him. Who knows what will happen but I'm getting the feeling that their best days are behind them.

Once Blizzard North was shuttered and the suits at Vivendi/Activision, now TenCent/Activision started calling the shots that was the beginning of the end right there. All the SJW garbage they now actively and loudly push in their games certainly doesn't help them either. Who gives a shit what race color your characters are in your shooter. Seriously.

Terran 11-05-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowyn (Post 2523838)
...they aren't in tune with their market.

I think it's simpler than that. They aren't speaking to their hardcore fans. They know the market they want to sell to, and it's smartphone users. They mistakenly, and stupidly, announced this game to the crowd that doesn't want it, the hardcore PC gamer group, but there are literally billions of smartphones out there and a game like this, regardless of what anyone here in their elitist gaming cubicle thinks, will sell.

WTF were they thinking trying to drum up excitement for a phone game at BlizzCon? Just make the damn thing and market it to the folks who will actually buy it, the ones who don't even know wtf BlizzCon is and haven't even heard of the damn game yet, lol. :D

Chief Smash 11-05-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2523890)

WTF were they thinking trying to drum up excitement for a phone game at BlizzCon? Just make the damn thing and market it to the folks who will actually buy it, the ones who don't even know wtf BlizzCon is and haven't even heard of the damn game yet, lol. :D

I’m guessing that they just didn’t have enough to show so they tried to turn this into a bigger deal than it is. It’s not a terrible idea. It’s just terrible if it’s your only idea.

Chimpbot 11-05-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2523876)
This is Activision Blizzard wanting the Chinese mobile market and never caring about the gamers beyond lip service. Morhaime's gone; he was one of the last of the old guard that would passionately defend the customer base and the ideals of Blizzard. Now it's just another subsidiary milking its IP.

I don't know why someone as experienced as Kern would attribute the company as a monolith to "not understanding gamers" while ignoring the very obvious business connection here and the influence the mobile market has. You don't need to be a game design genius to see that hocking a mobile game on a PC crowd was stupid.

Blizzard as a business unit wanted in on Mobile and was willing to cash in some prestige to get there.

Asking the crowd, "Don't you have phones?" had nothing to do with business; it was Blizzard failing to understand their audience entirely.

Skunk 11-05-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2523894)
Asking the crowd, "Don't you have phones?" had nothing to do with business; it was Blizzard failing to understand their audience entirely.

It was so juicy though!

https://media.giphy.com/media/1JPrTcaWIy5ZS/giphy.gif

Evil Avatar 11-06-2018 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2523894)

It was totally and completely tone deaf to the audience they were in front of and the announcement that people went there expecting to hear.

This product would have best been just quietly released to foreign markets to fail or thrive off the kind of smart phone sheep who play these things without knowing anything better is out there.

It should not have been announced or presented at Blizzard’s huge multi-million dollar yearly presentation — an event mostly geared toward PC gamers on top of that.

Terran 11-06-2018 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2523912)
This product would have best been just quietly released to foreign markets to fail or thrive off the kind of smart phone sheep who play these things without knowing anything better is out there.

I resemble...I mean, I resent that remark! :D

https://i.imgur.com/oa74Xl1.jpg

Chimpbot 11-06-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2523912)
It was totally and completely tone deaf to the audience they were in front of and the announcement that people went there expecting to hear.

It should not have been announced or presented at Blizzard’s huge multi-million dollar yearly presentation — an event mostly geared toward PC gamers on top of that.

I think the response to the mobile game would have been completely different if they had also included a teaser for Diablo 4. All they really needed to do was flash the D4 logo at the close of the presentation...and everything would have been fine.

Sure, the mobile game may still have been criticized, but it would have lacked most of the venom that the criticism currently has.

Terran 11-06-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2523916)
I think the response to the mobile game would have been completely different if they had also included a teaser for Diablo 4.

I doubt that very much.

Evil Avatar 11-06-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2523916)
I think the response to the mobile game would have been completely different if they had also included a teaser for Diablo 4. All they really needed to do was flash the D4 logo at the close of the presentation...and everything would have been fine.

Sure, the mobile game may still have been criticized, but it would have lacked most of the venom that the criticism currently has.

I think you aren't remembering what happened during E3 when Bethseda showed off both Elder Scrolls for the phone AND when they showed Fallout '76. The room was basically silent for both titles. They just were not what people were looking for.

And the audience was even more brutal when EA showed off Command and Conquer for mobile.

We just aren't the audience for these products and they should stop pretending that we are. I'm not saying they shouldn't make these products... if South Korea and China are some huge market for a microtransaction based Diablo clone, more power to them and they can have the money.

They just need to realize that the US isn't the market for these products and stop pretending like it is and don't do some huge buildup for "Diablo" then show off the re-skin of a 4-year-old Chinese mobile game at BlizzCon.

That's just not the time or the place. Look at the pictures of their test area, it was like 10 tables of phones and only about half a table worth of people playing. This at an event with thousands of people.