Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Captain Marvel - Trailer #2 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257437)

Kreigmstr 12-03-2018 10:04 PM

Captain Marvel - Trailer #2

This got posted a couple hours ago. Looks significantly better than the first trailer.

Evil Avatar 12-04-2018 05:18 AM

A new trailer dropped this morning for BBC’s Watership Down. It doesn’t look bad, though the animation is obviously just short of what we have been seeing in Disney’s live action movies like Jungle Book. I’ll probably watch it since I’ve been a fan of the book since I was a kid.

Chief Smash 12-04-2018 05:22 AM

Doesn't look terrible but it also doesn't look unlike something you'd see on The CW. Also I'm getting old so I don't keep track of newer actors and actresses. So maybe this girl is a big deal now but she seems a little generic, like a female Sam Worthington.

Evil Avatar 12-04-2018 05:27 AM

I guess she was good in some drama called The Room, but I agree that she doesn’t seem like anything special or interesting to me. Heck, I’m not a fan of the Jessica Jones series, but at least the main actress has some “character” to her. This lady just seems generic.

shadow763 12-04-2018 05:46 AM

Are they doing CG stuff with Samuel Jackson to make him look younger or is he just aging in reverse?

brandonjclark 12-04-2018 06:48 AM

She's as boring as they come.

https://i.imgur.com/SdnVFvR.png

wunshot 12-04-2018 07:16 AM

I think this will be Marvel's first failure.... But then again I thought Black Panther would be their first stumble. I must be a misogynist and a racist. :P

Chimpbot 12-04-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2525408)
I think this will be Marvel's first failure.... But then again I thought Black Panther would be their first stumble. I must be a misogynist and a racist. :P

People have been predicting their "first failure" since Guardians of the Galaxy; four years later, everything is pretty much just fine. Eventually, someone's prediction will be spot-on and they'll nail the failure.

So far, it looks like it'll be just as good as any other MCU movie while suffering some many of the same flaws they all suffer from. My biggest complaint going into it is that it's technically a prequel being retroactively inserted into the overarching story, which could create some inconsistencies. Other than that, it looks fine to me.

I'm not as excited for this (or even Avengers 4) as I once was, partially because there have been so many of them. Oddly enough, the consistently high level of quality has created a certain level of complacency in me; I haven't been worried about how "good" any of these movies are going to be in years, because they're almost always the same level of "good" as the previous films.

I'm much more excited for next year's Godzilla movie than any of the 2019 MCU movies...but I'll still probably catch most of 'em within the first week.

Booda 12-04-2018 08:24 AM

I betcha this cartoon ends up with somebody saving the world.

excalibur1814 12-04-2018 08:46 AM

I'm thinking that her general demeanour seems blank due to having her mind erased. Etc. I hope.

Chimpbot 12-04-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2525419)
I'm thinking that her general demeanour seems blank due to having her mind erased. Etc. I hope.

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. She spends a chunk of the movie essentially being brainwashed and/or under the effects of having her memory tampered with.

vallor 12-04-2018 10:15 AM

I may be less excited to see this movie now. I've taken a dislike to Ms. Larson thanks to dabbling in identity politics.

I was also a big fan of the original (Marvel) Captain Marvel - I had the whole run - but missed the gender switch to Ms./Capt. Marvel so that might have something to do with it as well.

wunshot 12-04-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525421)
Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. She spends a chunk of the movie essentially being brainwashed and/or under the effects of having her memory tampered with.

That's a horrible excuse for having zero personality in a movie for over an hour. Looks hard to watch.

I'm still fired up to see avengers 4. You're right in that there have been a ton of these films, but the Russo's are as good as it gets.

EL CABONG 12-04-2018 11:59 AM

Not really feeling it with these CM trailers. Seems IDK bland maybe. This trailer is better than the 1st one. I think I just don't want another origin story. I may not have superhero fatigue but I definitely have superhero origin story fatigue. Probably am somewhat over solo marvel movies aswell. Give me team up movies. Every movie doesn't have to be civil war or Inf war. Give me Thor 3 ,antman and wasp type of flims 2 or 3 heroes in it .

Chimpbot 12-04-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2525432)
That's a horrible excuse for having zero personality in a movie for over an hour. Looks hard to watch.

I dunno...if the character is - according to the script and director - supposed to be cold, emotionless, and not smile...then it seems like a more than reasonable "excuse" to me.

I mean, how many times have we seen that sort of characterization with male characters before? How is this any different?

Quote:

I'm still fired up to see avengers 4. You're right in that there have been a ton of these films, but the Russo's are as good as it gets.
I'm anxious to see how they'll resolve everything from the first movie, mainly with the original group of characters. Who's going to get killed off and who (if any) gets to ride off into the sunset?

Chief Smash 12-04-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525438)
I dunno...if the character is - according to the script and director - supposed to be cold, emotionless, and not smile...then it seems like a more than reasonable "excuse" to me.

I mean, how many times have we seen that sort of characterization with male characters before? How is this any different?

Emotionless doesn't usually work. I'm trying to think of times where it really worked in a male lead. Maybe the old Clint Eastwood westerns? Even then he was at least angry and scary, not just emotionless. When you go true emotionless, you get Sam Worthington style cardboard actors and I don't think it works, male or female.

TheMadHatter 12-04-2018 01:36 PM

looks unwatchable

Booda 12-04-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2525444)
Emotionless doesn't usually work. I'm trying to think of times where it really worked in a male lead.

https://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image...d4c8fcb70b.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/dd...da98d04b96.gif

Terran 12-04-2018 02:04 PM

She sure does have a broad range of emotional affect, lol.

I don't care. I'm sure it will be well within the guardrails of every single one of these comic genre films and therefore will be reasonably entertaining for a viewing and eminently forgettable thereafter.

I'll see it once and add it to the blank slate of other films in the MCU that I can't remember. :D

Chief Smash 12-04-2018 02:26 PM

I still haven't seen Valhalla Rising so I can't speak to it. But putting No Country in there is like putting Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers up there and saying that emotionless works. Yeah it does when you need your heroes to be running from a monster the whole time. But then they're not really leads. They're antagonists.

And you know what, if you come up with a good example, I'll just flat out admit that emotionless can work for a male lead and not for a female lead because both men and women tend to look down on emotional men and emotionless women. :D