Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Obsidian's SyFy RPG The Outer Worlds Announced (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257525)

Evil Avatar 12-06-2018 08:20 PM

Obsidian's SyFy RPG The Outer Worlds Announced

Quote:

Watch the official announcement trailer for The Outer Worlds, a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Evil Avatar 12-06-2018 08:25 PM

HaHa! It's exactly what I said yesterday, Fallout 4 with graphics from this century! Should be a good one.

LostToys 12-06-2018 08:30 PM

Pack up Fallout '76. It no longer has a need to exist.

Terran 12-06-2018 08:44 PM

Looks good! Liked the Iggy Pop song as well. Really like the subtle humor. Not really digging games that try too hard to be constantly funny.

Meusli 12-07-2018 04:22 AM

How on earth are they allowed to develop this for PS4? I would have thought the MS money hat would have blocked this.

Chimpbot 12-07-2018 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2525677)
How on earth are they allowed to develop this for PS4? I would have thought the MS money hat would have blocked this.

This particular publishing deal was already in place prior to the Microsoft purchase, so MS decided to allow it to go through as originally planned.

Meusli 12-07-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525684)
This particular publishing deal was already in place prior to the Microsoft purchase, so MS decided to allow it to go through as originally planned.

That's nice of them, can't say I disagree with that.

What I would like to know is what happens if this game is amazing and there is a sequel. Make it exclusive to Xbox and hope people buy into their systems and then reap that money. This Obsidian purchase might just be a golden goose to MS now that Bethesda's in the shitter.

EL CABONG 12-07-2018 11:26 AM

Looks fun. Fallout in space from some of the peeps who made the last good Fallout( NV).

Chimpbot 12-07-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2525706)
That's nice of them, can't say I disagree with that.

What I would like to know is what happens if this game is amazing and there is a sequel. Make it exclusive to Xbox and hope people buy into their systems and then reap that money. This Obsidian purchase might just be a golden goose to MS now that Bethesda's in the shitter.

I suppose all of that would boil down to what their agreement looks like. I wouldn't be surprised if Private Division/Take Two has first refusal of any sequels. Microsoft probably figured it'd be easier to just play ball with Take Two, given the fact that they're kind of a big deal in the publishing world. Plus, it provides them with some easy good PR.

Either way, this looks like a friggin' hoot.

vallor 12-07-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525766)
I suppose all of that would boil down to what their agreement looks like. I wouldn't be surprised if Private Division/Take Two has first refusal of any sequels. Microsoft probably figured it'd be easier to just play ball with Take Two, given the fact that they're kind of a big deal in the publishing world. Plus, it provides them with some easy good PR.

Either way, this looks like a friggin' hoot.

We'll probably see something similar happen here to what happened with Mass Effect when EA bought Bioware while Bioware had the publishing deal with Microsoft for the ME series.

Of course this game isn't a big hit like ME was so it is actually a pretty savvy move to let T2 take this one in case it flops. MS still gets to bask in the glory if it succeeds but T2 has almost all the risk.

I have high hopes for a Fallout/Borderlands hybrid. This planet and settings strikes me very much similar to Pandora from Borderlands.

Mad Max RW 12-07-2018 03:13 PM

That looks great. Filling the void left by Fallout and Borderlands. Hoping for role playing more along the lines of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. God damn that game is amazing.

Evil Avatar 12-07-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2525797)
That looks great. Filling the void left by Fallout and Borderlands. Hoping for role playing more along the lines of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. God damn that game is amazing.

That reminds me that they made a huge deal out of Randy Pitchford from Gearbox attending The Game Awards and they didn't show anything or announce anything. Weird.

Mad Max RW 12-07-2018 05:42 PM

I watched the 15 minute gameplay video and they are really rubbing it into Bethesda. Remember having different dialogue choices that had consequences? Remember being able to role play a "dumb" character just to see other characters' reactions? I want to see more of this world. And it's supposedly coming in 2019.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2525801)
That reminds me that they made a huge deal out of Randy Pitchford from Gearbox attending The Game Awards and they didn't show anything or announce anything. Weird.

Randy Pitchford is a piece of shit hack. I feel like the general public was just starting to catch onto his lies and how he brings literally nothing good to game development. It's amazing Gearbox still exists.

Arionuq 12-07-2018 07:12 PM

ok yep, on board. Looks fantastic.