Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pure Evil - Red Dead Weekend (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256824)

Evil Avatar 10-29-2018 08:24 PM

Pure Evil - Red Dead Weekend

While I resisted the temptation to skip work on Thursday night and stay home and play Red Dead Redemption 2 all night, I did tuck in for the weekend and played pretty much non-stop on Friday night and Saturday and pulled an all-night gaming session on Saturday night. (My first since the launch of Destiny.)

I'm enjoying the game, but I got stuck fast. You can't get into the mission where you rescue Javier without a horde of lawmen coming down on you and I assumed (incorrectly) that I must have missed some other secondary mission and spent most of the night on Saturday wandering around doing side missions and dodging bounty hunters.

Bounty Hunters are a big issue. Once you have a bounty, sooner or later they are going to show up and screw up whatever mission you are working on. I guess the lesson Rockstar is trying to teach us here is that being an Outlaw doesn't pay off, but in a game where you are part of an outlaw gang... that seems like an odd choice. Your bounty never much mattered in Red Dead Redemption, here it is the difference between enjoying the game and spending most of the game dead. I had stalked a legendary creature for 10 minutes, only to get it in my sights and have the Bounty Hunters show up and chase it off. Frustrating.

Another odd choice is your hat. Anyone else notice that every time you get in a gunfight or you die that you lose your hat? And since the only way to get your hat back is to go all the way back to camp, I'm always killing random strangers just to take their hat. Perhaps that's just me. I'm a hat person.

Finally, in a bit of a humorous side-story, when I was doing one of the side missions where you collect debts, I also stole the horse from the guy in the house. He's yelling "Not my horse too!" as I rode off. Little did I know I was going to be stuck with this ugly gray Hungarian half-breed for the rest of the game. That's right, every time I get another horse, it gets shot and killed by bounty hunters and what horse does the game go back to after that? The ugly gray Hungarian half-breed. LOL. I guess it's just fate. Me and that ugly horse are now a pair.

What was your Red Dead weekend like?

Evil Avatar 10-29-2018 08:24 PM

Oh, that black horse in the above screenshot? Killed by bounty hunters. So, I'm back to the ugly gray horse now.

Terran 10-29-2018 08:33 PM

I loved the first one. My son and I both took a bit of time to give this one a shot. It's really beautiful looking. Somehow I'm just not into it, though, and he was quite happy to go back to Black Ops and Fortnite. I think I've honestly crossed a Rubicon in gaming, because much of what used to interest me no longer does. I think it would have drawn me in years ago, but not so much any more.

Hope you all enjoy it. Sure looks nice on screen! Damned controls are still kinda shit though. R* just can't seem to provide tight controls.

SouljaOfChrist 10-29-2018 09:04 PM

Hey man, I have also played a shit ton. On the hat thing if you go to the wheel and go to the horse area and I believe its in the lower right corner is the hat option. It auto puts your hat back on right at your horse. Im a hat guy too in this game for some reason, so I have used this a bunch. Its real quick.

I too am super annoyed by the bounty hunters. I have been TRYING to be bad, (the whole point of being an outlaw, right)? And yes the bounty hunters have killed quite a few of my horses and ruined otherwise successful missions.

Evil Avatar 10-29-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouljaOfChrist (Post 2523508)
Hey man, I have also played a shit ton. On the hat thing if you go to the wheel and go to the horse area and I believe its in the lower right corner is the hat option. It auto puts your hat back on right at your horse. Im a hat guy too in this game for some reason, so I have used this a bunch. Its real quick.

I saw at camp that they said "Stored on your horse." for hats, but I didn't see it on the wheel. Thanks, that will save the life of some random stranger. HaHa!

wunshot 10-29-2018 09:39 PM

Cant you kill the bounty hunters?

I haven't played more than an hour yet. Got creed and superhot VR and have been stuck in the matrix.

Evil Avatar 10-29-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2523516)
Cant you kill the bounty hunters?

You can if you are lucky, but mostly they overwhelm you with numbers and they have a nasty habit of shooting your horse out from under you.

ElektroDragon 10-29-2018 10:35 PM

My Red Dead weekend consisted on me finally installing and redeeming codes for it Sunday night, and getting about 1 hour to actually play, in which I spent most of the game trying to squint away from the blinding snow which would have destroyed my melatonin production and any sleep that night, followed by being infuriated by having to HOLD down X and HOLD down d-pad right to accomplish just about anything, frustrated by letting the first outlaw run away because I couldn't spot him in time, and being confused by the story. I am restarting the game again tonight now that I understand its a prequel. Which is awesome because I only played 9 hours of the first RDR a whole 8 years ago.

Meusli 10-30-2018 05:18 AM

I am really enjoying the game, just got to remember to put on my face cover when doing crime so the bounties don't add up. It's real hard to not commit a crime in this game though, what with animal cruelty for shooting a horse or assault for hitting someone with your horse by accident. Must have lost a ton of money paying bounties off.
I loved the get drunk mission though, one of the highlights so far.

Chimpbot 10-30-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2523503)
Another odd choice is your hat. Anyone else notice that every time you get in a gunfight or you die that you lose your hat? And since the only way to get your hat back is to go all the way back to camp, I'm always killing random strangers just to take their hat. Perhaps that's just me. I'm a hat person.

If you misplace your hat, check your horse.

I lost mine in a fistfight gone wrong and got chased out of town. By the time I evaded the law, got back to town, and paid off my bounty, the hat was gone. When I checked my horse's inventory, however, it was available in the hat slot.

It looked like I had space for three hats (which is important, because changing your clothes can help prevent the law from IDing you during/after a crime).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2523530)
I loved the get drunk mission though, one of the highlights so far.

LENNY!?

Meusli 10-30-2018 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2523533)

LENNY!?

Yes, great mission.

Chimpbot 10-30-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2523534)
Yes, great mission.

I had to laugh at the slap fight, which transitioned into can-can dancing (which was, amusingly enough, referenced by the gunsmith when I stopped by his shop after that mission). When Lenny's head was on everyone's body in the bar?

Priceless.

MADxMrMike 10-30-2018 11:05 AM

I am having a great time with it. At first I was put off by the slow pace and the first chapter limits you. But I have adjusted to the pace and actually appreciate it now. The music really sets the tone and helps. Also after chapter 1 it opens up and you can pretty much do whatever you want.

I love that I always have something do to. I will do one mission and it puts me at a location on the map that has another thing to do near by. A "?" for a stranger pops up or some random trail event happens that leads to some crazy shit. I always have a goal and doing something. From finding treasure with maps, finding gruesome killer murder scenes with crazy maps, to doing story/side missions I have yet to run out of shit to do.

Last night I robbed my first train(on my own and not in the story). I planned it all out. I knew it would cross under a bridge north east of the town it was at(because I scouted it out). So I got ready and waited for it to go under. I jumped off the bridge on the train and hit the cars fast and hard! Robbed everyone. I took out the guards and by the time I was done the train was just about to hit town. I bailed and a hauled ass. You want to bail before the train hits town as law will come from everywhere. Anyway it was fucking awesome!! Now I'm trying to plan out a stagecoach robbery.

_-Psycho-_ 10-30-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2523505)
I think I've honestly crossed a Rubicon in gaming, because much of what used to interest me no longer does. I think it would have drawn me in years ago, but not so much any more.

Hope you all enjoy it. Sure looks nice on screen! Damned controls are still kinda shit though. R* just can't seem to provide tight controls.

I thought the same way as you for the First 2-3 hours but then it suddenly caught me and now I really like and enjoy the game.

Schling Fo 10-30-2018 10:06 PM

This game punishes you for playing it for the first 10 hours. It seems like it was designed around microtransactions that ended up being removed at the 11th hour.

Primus 10-30-2018 10:25 PM

GOTY 2018, no contest.

SpectralThundr 10-30-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primus (Post 2523593)
GOTY 2018, no contest.

While I haven't played this, and won't unless they ever do a PC Sku or in a year with a GOTY PS4 version at a discounted price. Battletech is clearly GOTY 2018! Just sayin!

Evil Avatar 10-30-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schling Fo (Post 2523591)
This game punishes you for playing it for the first 10 hours. It seems like it was designed around microtransactions that ended up being removed at the 11th hour.

How so? While the first hour is pretty slow, if you stick to the missions there is tons to do. I just got stuck because I didnít realize the Javier mission was pretty much required to advance the story.

Schling Fo 10-31-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2523597)
How so? While the first hour is pretty slow, if you stick to the missions there is tons to do.

I spent 10 minutes with a buddy of mine bitching about our frustration during the first 10% of play. Design choices, control complaints, and our unexpected deaths/mission failures. (He was surprised that killing people was not an acceptable mission outcome.
I have been kamikazed by riders on horseback. Neither of us understand making the same button both talk to AND point guns at NPCs.)

Until you unlock quick-travel, and until the missions place you back at camp at their end, too much time is spent on getting from A to B. I feel like the trains/coaches costing a ton of early-game currency suggests that at some point buying game money with real money was considered.

Also all the little detail stuff that was added, like stat cores. In real life, you should bathe horses after you ride them. So, every 15 minutes on horseback I should press triangle, then hold L2, then press d-pad Left 20 times. Why? What does that add?

I realize that I'm already ranting too much with this, so I'll try to wrap it up. There's an article in the most recent Hockey News about NHL '94 and how it came together as the best hockey game of all time. The makers point out that technical limitations gave them an excuse to focus exclusively on things that made the game fun to play, rather than try to make the game more realistic.

Evil Avatar 11-01-2018 10:46 PM

I just saw today that there is a Vampire in the game, a stuffed gorilla and you can snag the fastest horse in the game just by capturing a wild white stallion up in the mountains.

All than on top of the crazy UFO plot. I just love that they packed all this weird stuff in the game. Undead Nightmare 2 anyone? Seems like they are heading that direction, though I wonder if they will do a single player expansion or just stick to Red Dead Online?