Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella steps in to head DICE Los Angeles (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264631)

Evil Avatar 01-03-2020 05:28 PM

Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella steps in to head DICE Los Angeles

Quote:

Respawn's Vince Zampella to lead EA DICE's LA studio

Respawn Entertainment CEO Vince Zampella has taken on a new project leading Electronic Arts: EA DICE's Los Angeles studio.

In an interview with The LA Times, Zampella revealed his new role at DICE LA, which he will take on while remaining with Respawn Entertainment. Zampella described his position at Respawn as being that of a "head coach" now, and GamesIndustry.biz has reached out to EA for added clarification on his ongoing role with the studio.

While he's taking on the LA studio head role while it's still referred to as an EA DICE studio, Zampella said it would likely undergo a rebranding, separting itself both from DICE Stockholm as well as Respawn.

"We want to give it a new image. We want people to say, 'This is a destination you can go and make new content.' I think they've kind of gotten the branding that they are the support studio for DICE Stockholm. I think rebranding is important for showing people, 'Hey! Come work here. We're going to do some amazing things.'"

Under Zampella's leadership, the LA studio is currently working on a new, original game that hasn't yet been revealed.

EA chief studios officer Laura Miele is overseeing Zampella's transition.

"I think under Vince's leadership the expectation is to have them work on and create a game on their own," she said. "And I genuinely believe that he is going to help guide them creatively. He's going to help them further fortify and build out their talent and their team. I think we're going to have a really strong studio out of our Los Angeles location. They can go from a support team to a full stand-alone studio to create a new game offering."
gamesindustry.biz.

Fired or Demoted?

Evil Avatar 01-03-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

EA chief studios officer Laura Miele is overseeing Zampella's transition.
When someone else is going to "oversee" your leaving the company you founded, it sure sounds like you got fired to me.

SpectralThundr 01-03-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2550991)
When someone else is going to "oversee" your leaving the company you founded, it sure sounds like you got fired to me.

People who get fired don't get brought on to lead a rebranded studio. C'mon Evil. :rolleyes:

AlfredT 01-03-2020 10:33 PM

He kinda looks like Julian Assange's estranged brother :)

brandonjclark 01-04-2020 12:22 PM

Well, either way. It would be exciting to head a new studio.

vallor 01-04-2020 08:24 PM

Good for him. There isn't likely a lot more he could do at Respawn and revitalizing a Studio is exciting, challenging; a good step for him.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-05-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfredT (Post 2551009)
He kinda looks like Julian Assange's estranged brother :)

He looks like an aged Matthew Perry (Friends) to me.

Evil Avatar 01-05-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2551047)
Good for him. There isn't likely a lot more he could do at Respawn and revitalizing a Studio is exciting, challenging; a good step for him.

They could actually make a hit game for once? That seems like a challenge.

SpectralThundr 01-05-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551084)
They could actually make a hit game for once? That seems like a challenge.

Apex didn't do well for them? Titanfall 2 wasn't critically acclaimed? How bout Jedi Fallen Order? Is that bombing too? Your opinions on the very industry you've dedicated so many years to are so far out of left field it's ridiculous.

Mozain 01-05-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2551099)
Apex didn't do well for them? Titanfall 2 wasn't critically acclaimed? How bout Jedi Fallen Order? Is that bombing too? Your opinions on the very industry you've dedicated so many years to are so far out of left field it's ridiculous.

He might be talking about DICE, which hasn't put out a hit in a long long time.

Mind you Battlefront 2 is in a really good state right now (I think people generally like it these days?), but a hit I wouldn't say it is/was.

vallor 01-05-2020 11:16 PM

It would be interesting if DICE LA became the game-maker so DICE proper could focus on their engine.

On the other hand it says he wants to rebrand the LA studio so even if they make an awesome game DICE won't get the credit.

AlfredT 01-05-2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2551060)
He looks like an aged Matthew Perry (Friends) to me.

Totally! Now I cannot unsee him as that.

SpectralThundr 01-06-2020 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2551107)
He might be talking about DICE, which hasn't put out a hit in a long long time.

Mind you Battlefront 2 is in a really good state right now (I think people generally like it these days?), but a hit I wouldn't say it is/was.

Has to be that'd be the only thing that makes sense in those comments. Respawn hasn't done so bad for themselves. Though to make the comment that Zampella is being "fired" only to head another studio within EA is just a strange statement to make to begin with. Then again it's Evil he does this alot.

Evil Avatar 01-06-2020 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2551119)
Has to be that'd be the only thing that makes sense in those comments. Respawn hasn't done so bad for themselves. Though to make the comment that Zampella is being "fired" only to head another studio within EA is just a strange statement to make to begin with. Then again it's Evil he does this alot.

Getting kicked out of the company you formed to go to some 3rd rate DLC developer in LA... that is obviously getting fired no matter how EA and Zampella try to spin it.

Respawn has had a string of either outright failures (Titanfall, Titanfall 2) or just average sellers (Apex, Star Wars).

All Apex Legends had to do to make mountains of cash was offer cool characters for people to pay for as DLC and instead all of their characters just look like someone picked them out of the "generic Sci Fi soldier" folder at some art college.

No one leaves their company and their office by choice and taking some executive you can't get rid of for contract reasons and dumping them on some other smaller studio where they can't do much damage is exactly what you do.

It's not a promotion or an opportunity. It's getting demoted.

vallor 01-06-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551123)
No one leaves their company and their office by choice and taking some executive you can't get rid of for contract reasons and dumping them on some other smaller studio where they can't do much damage is exactly what you do.

This guy has "Fuck You" money. If he didn't give a shit or felt he were being mistreated he'd just leave. It is obvious his contract is either up or soon to be up since they likely couldn't remove him from Respawn otherwise.

No, I get the feeling Respawn is in good hands and, since it's no longer his company, he may as well try something new and interesting.

ElektroDragon 01-06-2020 05:06 PM

No hit game? What? Didn't he just make the new Jedi Fallen Order game at Respawn that was an actual well reviewed hit for EA?

ldi222 01-06-2020 05:52 PM

Respawn is the best developer in the EA umbrella, this is good news for DICE LA.

Evil Avatar 01-06-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2551136)
This guy has "Fuck You" money. If he didn't give a shit or felt he were being mistreated he'd just leave. It is obvious his contract is either up or soon to be up since they likely couldn't remove him from Respawn otherwise.

No, I get the feeling Respawn is in good hands and, since it's no longer his company, he may as well try something new and interesting.

No matter how rich you are (He is in the range of a total net worth of $40 million.) it has to hurt to get kicked out of the company you founded. Money can’t fix that kind of wound to your pride.

Evil Avatar 01-06-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2551168)
No hit game? What? Didn't he just make the new Jedi Fallen Order game at Respawn that was an actual well reviewed hit for EA?

The only thing EA has said about sales figures are that it was the “Best Selling Star Wars title available” (compared to what? The two-year old Battlefront II?) and that it was also the best selling digital title the week it launched.

The almost complete lack of any real number of physical units sold would indicate that the sales are average-to-poor. Usually when these publishers start breaking the 1, 2 & 5 million mark they usually crow about it. “1 Million sold in a week!” And foolishness like that. None of which we have seen for Fallen Order. I’m guessing from the lack of commentary from EA that it isn’t breaking any records and that is part of what is leading them to showing Vince the door.

SpectralThundr 01-08-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2551176)
The only thing EA has said about sales figures are that it was the “Best Selling Star Wars title available” (compared to what? The two-year old Battlefront II?) and that it was also the best selling digital title the week it launched.

The almost complete lack of any real number of physical units sold would indicate that the sales are average-to-poor. Usually when these publishers start breaking the 1, 2 & 5 million mark they usually crow about it. “1 Million sold in a week!” And foolishness like that. None of which we have seen for Fallen Order. I’m guessing from the lack of commentary from EA that it isn’t breaking any records and that is part of what is leading them to showing Vince the door.

So in Evil's mind that means it must have totally flopped! Again considering how long you've covered this industry which I appreciate since EvAv has been the best gaming site imo for a long time, some of the comments you make do baffle me.