Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pure Evil - Freaks of the Heartland (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264680)

Evil Avatar 01-08-2020 07:27 AM

Pure Evil - Freaks of the Heartland

Catching up on some movie watching on my days off I happened to catch the indie Sci Fi thriller Freaks.

Quote:

Kept locked inside the house by her father, 7-year-old Chloe lives in fear and fascination of the outside world, where Abnormals create a constant threat Ė or so she believes. When a mysterious stranger offers her a glimpse of whatís really happening outside, Chloe soon finds that while the truth isnít so simple, the danger is very real.
While this isn't a found-footage film, it reminded me a lot of Chronicle. It is low budget, but it never feels that way and the characters and action are excellent across the board (including Bruce Dern as the wacky ice cream vendor). If you are looking for a decent rental, be sure to check this one out.

I caught up on a bunch of films over the weekend this week. I didn't care for The Lighthouse. It was a good movie, hampered by trying too hard to be an art house film. Worth a watch one time, but not the groundbreaking horror film you would have expected from the director of The Witch.

The same is true of JoJo Rabbit, the way people were gushing about it online I was expecting it to be just this amazing film and while it is certainly good, it's no better or no worse than any other WWII "Love thy enemy." film. The imaginary Hitler was a blast, the rest of the movie was good, but not great.

If you want some real gems, check out Adam Sandler's Uncut Gems. While I don't recommend going to see the movie in the theater, you have to check this one out. It's tense and the performances are amazing. There is a lot of "Mob guys yelling at each other." and it's a bit much for the big screen which is the only reason I don't suggest a theater viewing. Sandler totally deserves the Best Actor Oscar. After seeing the movie, I'm predicting he will get it.

Another fantastic film was Ford vs Ferrari. I'm biased a bit, I do like race car movies, but this one hits all the buttons. Great story, good performances and you have to love any film where the USA gets one over on France.

I think that catches me up for the weekend!

Evil Avatar 01-08-2020 07:27 AM

excalibur1814 01-08-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Another fantastic film was Ford vs Ferrari.
I watched it last night. It was interesting, without going full techie with regards to cars, as well as a lot of fun. I couldn't stand the usual bureaucracy, seeing as I have to deal with some of that daily. It made me connect to the film that little bit more.

AlfredT 01-08-2020 08:16 PM

Yea I thought Freaks was pretty good too.. TBH though the actor looking like a more serious Jack Black was a bit of a distraction.

Misanthropist 01-10-2020 01:04 AM

I really enjoyed freaks as well! This movie and bunch of others were a part of Fright Festival 2019!! I love comedy horror and anything else horror, so the banana splits movie, snatchers, ready or not, harpoon and a few others from the film festival i highly recommend for something hilarious and different.

Another super powered sci fi movie that has a "chronicle" vibe is is Code 8, a world where powered individuals are persecuted/policed etc. If you liked freaks this is also worth a watch!