Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pure Evil - New Toys (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262895)

Evil Avatar 09-24-2019 08:25 AM

Pure Evil - New Toys

Picked up a used Xbox One X off eBay. As you can see, the previous owner swapped out the controller face plate for translucent green and put a green Project Scorpio sticker on the front.

The system is only 4 months old, it was purchased in March with an additional 1-year Warranty.

I've barely had time to hook it up, I've check out Gears of War 5 and Red Dead Redemption (360) and not much else.

I have to say, after all the years since the Xbox One launch, it's a laugh that the menu system is still a total train wreck. That's just sad.

Metal Jesus 09-24-2019 09:35 AM

Very cool!

VideoMike101 09-24-2019 09:57 AM

So, the Sonyboi doesnt like the Xbox menu, surprise!

Blackwing 09-24-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoMike101 (Post 2544789)
So, the Sonyboi doesnt like the Xbox menu, surprise!

To be fair, I like all consoles and I also hate Xbox's menu. It's just one big cluttered mess.

Inkabodcrane 09-24-2019 12:49 PM

Nice! I guess I'm just used to it, but I don't have a problem with the Xbox dashboard. Also if you didnt know you can set and screenshot or achievement picture as the dashboard background.

I had to move my PS4 Pro to a different location in my game room, and now it's on Wifi instead of ethernet. I used to have this problem on wifi where it won't load the store or while in the store it basically just quits loading. I've looked it up and there are many reddit and forums talking about it. The workarounds people suggest are either log out then back in on the ps4, go to network settings and click the first checkmark off then on, or just buy thing on the Playstation website and avoid the console store.

Also while moving the system the external 3tb hard drive somehow got corrupted and lost all the data, so I spent all last night reformatting and reinstalling all my games

Anyways I eventually bought new Catherine game.

Meeks 09-24-2019 03:40 PM

I will say that I too have always found the Xbox UI to be pretty unintuitive and, well, atrocious

BeardedSonOfNel 09-24-2019 04:50 PM

Very cool!

Evil Avatar 09-24-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meeks (Post 2544853)
I will say that I too have always found the Xbox UI to be pretty unintuitive and, well, atrocious

It's just terrible. You have ads on the desktop, which is frankly pathethic - they already sold me the damn console, and it only displays one game.

You have to scroll down to see each game - one at a time.

My PS4 desktop displays like the last 10 games I have played or installed and has all the other system icons right above that.

You would think MS would have done something in all this time. There is a pretty obvious reason that even with the Xbox One X being more powerful than the PS4 Pro that they are still selling consoles at half the rate that Sony is.

Evil Avatar 09-24-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2544859)
Very cool!

Thanks. I think the custom sticker the previous owner put on there is pretty cool. Though I would like to get a better controller, this one seems pretty flimsy.

Inkabodcrane 09-24-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2544872)

My PS4 desktop displays like the last 10 games I have played or installed and has all the other system icons right above that.

You would think MS would have done something in all this time. There is a pretty obvious reason that even with the Xbox One X being more powerful than the PS4 Pro that they are still selling consoles at half the rate that Sony is.

You're just unfamiliar with the system. There is no having to scroll to each game, I don't know what you're talking about. I have over 50 games shown right on the first screen. You just press the start button on a game and choose Pin. You can also make groups, and pin games to them. You'll just have to get used to it.

Evil Avatar 09-24-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2544874)
You're just unfamiliar with the system. There is no having to scroll to each game, I don't know what you're talking about. I have over 50 games shown right on the first screen. You just press the start button on a game and choose Pin. You can also make groups, and pin games to them. You'll just have to get used to it.

I did that and it didn't pin anything to the main menu, that was what made you have to scroll down to see each game.

Inkabodcrane 09-24-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2544880)
I did that and it didn't pin anything to the main menu, that was what made you have to scroll down to see each game.

I'm still at work so can't look on my xbox to clarify better, but this video seems to explain it.

Scherge 09-25-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2544883)
I'm still at work so can't look on my xbox to clarify better, but this video seems to explain it.

But that's exactly it: The pins are NOT on the starting screen. Whether you have to scroll down or press a button/trigger doesn't matter. Microsoft has changed the XB1 UI so many times (at least 3, I'd wager), yet the initial PS4 interface is still loads better: Starts with the games/utilities you've used last, the store and your library. "Bam!", as they say. Press "up" on the D-pad, and you see all (!) of the other functions your PS4 has to offer, at a single glance. The configurable folders are also just as good or even better than the pin collections, in my opinion.

I like my Xbox (I'm on an S now, but the regular one was already great in terms of build quality, quietness and of course exclusive games), but the PS4 is just an all-around excellent package, hardware- and software-wise. Well, aside from the ear-splitting noise it emits once you play a demanding game (regular or Pro, doesn't matter)...

Inkabodcrane 09-25-2019 01:42 AM

I hear ya, the PS4's simplicity is quite convenient. Pressing down on the Dpad to see 50 or so games on the ol Xbox isn't a big deal for me, either. I like all of the consoles, new and old, as well as PC. They all have pluses and minuses. I just bought a GBA SP 101 and am pumped for that as well!

Nice sig, by the way. Buying games is indeed a hobby of its own!

NightRain 09-26-2019 09:20 AM

I way prefer the Xbox dashboard over the PS4 one, not that the PS4 is horrible or anything. I hear people complain about "ads" on Xbox but they are on PS4 too. The biggest thing for me is I hate that when I hit the PS button in game it takes me away from the game. I love how Xbox One button gives me an overly so I can still see my game and manage parties, invites, friends, etc without leaving the game. That alone is worth it for me. Plus I've always found the Xbox interface a little faster and smooter.

ElektroDragon 09-26-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2544872)
It's just terrible. You have ads on the desktop, which is frankly pathethic - they already sold me the damn console, and it only displays one game.

No, you don't have to scroll down to see each game one at a time. My god, how about learning to use the damn UI properly before knocking it??
You have can Pins, you can view your entire Games library at once and filter and sort and even change icon size. But NOOOOO it's Xbox so you just immediately knock it. Come on, dude. What you are referring to is just the favorites feature... not the pins feature, not the library view feature.

Evil Avatar 09-26-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightRain (Post 2544992)
I way prefer the Xbox dashboard over the PS4 one, not that the PS4 is horrible or anything. I hear people complain about "ads" on Xbox but they are on PS4 too. The biggest thing for me is I hate that when I hit the PS button in game it takes me away from the game. I love how Xbox One button gives me an overly so I can still see my game and manage parties, invites, friends, etc without leaving the game. That alone is worth it for me. Plus I've always found the Xbox interface a little faster and smooter.

There are no ads on the PS4 desktop.

Chief Smash 09-30-2019 04:08 AM

I only have the PS4 so I can't speak on the Xbox dashboard. But it sounds like the Xbox 1 dashboard must be miserable to make the PS4 one look good because on its own, the PS4 UI kind of sucks.