Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PS5 Development Kit Leaks (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259779)

Evil Avatar 04-04-2019 08:17 AM

PS5 Development Kit Leaks

A couple of images have popped up on twitter, with what the owners claim are PlayStation 5 development kits. Worth noting is the new touch screen on an updated more "Xbox" like controller.

brandonjclark 04-04-2019 08:34 AM

WiiU on putting a second screen on the controller..." DON'T DO EEET!"

EL CABONG 04-04-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2534657)
WiiU on putting a second screen on the controller..." DON'T DO EEET!"

Yes. I hope these are fake. Most gamers have atleast 2 controllers. Nobody wants to drop a 100 bucks on a 2nd controller because of a tiny screen that devs will likely not do a whole lot with.

Way to go Sony your system is still a year or 2 out and I alreadly don't want one.

evild 04-04-2019 10:36 AM

The screen on the controller is probably for devs ONLY. Xbox Scorpio dev kit had a screen on the actual console for frame-rate info. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...ew_dev_kit.php

Chief Smash 04-04-2019 10:38 AM

So.... which side are we going to be on this time? I just want to know so I can start spooling up the rage engine.

MADxMrMike 04-04-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2534670)
So.... which side are we going to be on this time? I just want to know so I can start spooling up the rage engine.

XBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually dont care. I have them all. But I mostly play on Xbox due to all of my friends are on there.

Chimpbot 04-04-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evild (Post 2534669)
The screen on the controller is probably for devs ONLY. Xbox Scorpio dev kit had a screen on the actual console for frame-rate info. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...ew_dev_kit.php

It looks like there would be a similar displace on the PS5 dev kit (assuming, of course, this is actually legitimate). I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of screen on the controller; it's almost taking the PS4's mostly unused touch pad a step further.

Terran 04-04-2019 02:18 PM

Current consoles do seem to be getting long in the tooth. I have no idea how old the current gen is, and I'd rather type this post than bother to search for the info, but it seems we would be a couple of years away from a new round...maybe Christmas 2021?

RAV 04-04-2019 02:45 PM

I heard the shots above are fake. And that the new generation is supposed to come 2020.

*shrug*

There was this news about Google's new streaming service Stadia, and while I understand that the latency and stuff doesn't make it a real competitor to any regular platform, what we haven't sufficiently addressed here is the many new and unique features it offers, that no regular platform can. Let's say not every type of game is affected the same by latency and streaming quality, and entire new genres of games might be possible with the unique features they offer. It's really not so much about playing the normal games via stream that makes it exciting. I mean seriously, a lot of those features are quite interesting. From the upcoming consoles I expect nothing new but more power.

It's hard to say how things will pan out in near term, but I wouldn't be surprised if Google's streaming stuff ends up more popular than anything else. I don't mean that real power gamers will play their prime games on this platform given the choice, but overall more people could end up playing whatever via stream, similar to how the mobile market is the biggest gaming market. They are making it just so damn convenient and the features so interesting. No other streaming service previously compares to that anywhere near, it was all just downsides with nothing new to the table. So I am definitely curious, more curious than even about the new consoles.

DeluxE 04-04-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAV (Post 2534691)
*shrug*

There was this news about Google's new streaming service Stadia, and while I understand that the latency and stuff doesn't make it a real competitor to any regular platform, what we haven't sufficiently addressed here is the many new and unique features it offers, that no regular platform can...

From the upcoming consoles I expect nothing new but more power.

Both Sony and Microsoft's next entries into the "platform" war will include streaming services. If you think Stadia sounds interesting, wait until E3...

It's been a long time since Xbox has been a serious contender for the gaming crown, but all indications are that we are about to witness a sea-change of sorts. Steam has become complacent, to the point where the Epic Store is starting to take a bite out of their dominance of the industry... with streaming technology and 4G poised to fundamentally change the industry, Microsoft, Google and Sony are about to begin the race for who can become the "Netflicks of games".

Of course, we will also see a major boost in visuals, as ray-tracing becomes common in the next generation, causing developers to re-think the way they've been making games for the past two generations... not to mention the amazing physics and AI breakthroughs enabled by much more capable CPUs...

2020 is going to be a watershed year for our industry, and boy oh boy, a change is gonna come.

RAV 04-04-2019 04:04 PM

Okay, man. sounds exciting!

I'm not sure what to make of all of this yet myself. The multi-user features giving "free multi player" so to speak is one of those things that caught my interest first. But also the runtime memory transfer to share a game state across instances. Delicious.

What makes me wonder most is how open which platform will end up being. That's where I am going. Say, if anyone can just upload their own x86 compatible program/game and have it available for other people to use via stream. What kind of hurdles or fees there will be to that

I mean damn, if this would be freely and easily available, and especially without any further technical work on the program, since the program wouldn't have to necessarily be aware of being streamed... that would open up a whole damn lot of possibilities for private devs. I would no longer have to beg the trust of others for running unsigned code on their machines, and I also would have perfect control on the hardware resources it runs on in the cloud.

Evil Avatar 04-04-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2534670)

The same side as always, the side with all the best exclusives. Which will continue to be the PlayStation for a long time. MS isn't going to get far buying up shovelware studios.

I mean, the idea is good, they need exclusives and they need people to make them, but when you buy a bunch of studios who mostly made flops... you will mostly get flops. :o

karaliusbronius 04-04-2019 04:24 PM

I'd love a game map on the controller. Nintendo screwed up because they only allowed one per system.

PatrickRes9 04-04-2019 04:38 PM

All of the sudden, because Sony made it "cool", everyone will want a screen on a controller, even though a console did that years ago!

Hahhhhh! "Yah, well Nintendo only let you have one per console!"

ROF.

SpectralThundr 04-04-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2534708)
All of the sudden, because Sony made it "cool", everyone will want a screen on a controller, even though a console did that years ago!

Hahhhhh! "Yah, well Nintendo only let you have one per console!"

ROF.

It's not cool, stop lying to yourself.

Ghostblaze 04-04-2019 07:55 PM

I wonder if Sony can finally achieve 60 FPS steady or more on games on the PS5 whenever that releases. I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, I caved and bought a PS4 pro last July. The exclusives have been fun. Just not a fan of going from a higher frame rate to a bone jarring 30 fps rate on some games. Last of us remastered ran at almost 60 FPS which was awesome. Hope the PS5 horsepower can do something to that extent.

blackzc 04-04-2019 08:24 PM

BOOM! I called this shit. Told yall 2 screens THE FUTURE!!:D

The final version will be bigger and nicer looking. Yeah man, lets get two screen gaming going again, i miss it.

SpectralThundr 04-04-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2534718)
BOOM! I called this shit. Told yall 2 screens THE FUTURE!!:D

The final version will be bigger and nicer looking. Yeah man, lets get two screen gaming going again, i miss it.

Yeah let's make controllers cost 100 bucks for a gimmick no devs will use and if they do use it they won't do it well. Great idea!

Misanthropist 04-04-2019 09:57 PM

I just bought a pro finally, tho ive only had a ps4 for a 2 years, im usually late to the next console generation due to $$ and a million current gen games i did not get around to. Zero intention of buying an xbone.

ElektroDragon 04-04-2019 10:24 PM

The shape of the controller is poop. BUT SUPER EXCITED for the integrated screen!