Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Disney Will Take A Hiatus On Star Wars Movies After This Year (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259933)

Emabulator 04-12-2019 03:35 PM

Disney Will Take A Hiatus On Star Wars Movies After This Year
 

Quote:

If you're a fan of Star Wars, then you probably have opinions about the frequency of the movies after Disney purchased the property. Starting with The Force Awakens, there has been a Star Wars movie every single year. A lot of people suspected this would continue into the foreseeable future, but Disney president Bob Iger says that Episode IX, now named Rise of the Skywalker, will be the last one for a while.

Speaking to Bloomberg after yesterday's Disney Investor's conference, Iger expressed that the annual structure for Star Wars isn't a long-term strategy.

“We will take a pause, some time, and reset,” Iger said, “because the Skywalker saga comes to an end with this ninth movie. There will be other Star Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus.”

Iger has previously expressed regret about the scheduling of Star Wars movies, especially with the short amount of time between 2017's The Last Jedi and early 2018's Solo. He took the blame for setting the movies that way, which is likely why he's pumping the brakes here. Iger did say that there are other movies in development, they're just not coming out soon.
Game Informer.

Dag-Sabot 04-12-2019 03:59 PM

They've never heard of crop rotation. They should remake original starwars but with all asians. I would see that.

NESter the Unlikely 04-12-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot (Post 2535349)
They should remake original starwars but with all asians. I would see that.

I've got good news, you can see that right now. It's called The Hidden Fortress and it was directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Terran 04-12-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NESter the Unlikely (Post 2535350)
I've got good news, you can see that right now. It's called The Hidden Fortress and it was directed by Akira Kurosawa.

https://i.imgur.com/8CGdeKg.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot (Post 2535349)
They've never heard of crop rotation.

Disney did to Star Wars what Rome did to Carthage.

actusoul 04-12-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NESter the Unlikely (Post 2535350)
I've got good news, you can see that right now. It's called The Hidden Fortress and it was directed by Akira Kurosawa.

The man knows his movies. I have the Kurosawa series in a collectors DVD collection. EXCELLENT.

Evil Avatar 04-12-2019 06:38 PM

I think that tells you that the Disney executives have seen Episode IX and it's not great. I also think that when they say they are going on Hiatus, what they are really saying is that the fired Rian Johnson, who was set to direct a new trilogy starting the Christmas after Episode IX.

If those movies are now on "hold" that's a fancy way of saying they fired him.

blackzc 04-12-2019 08:30 PM

Fuck outta here mother fuckers.

Fuck 1980s to current Disney.

Ask George Lucas what they do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2535363)
I think that tells you that the Disney executives have seen Episode IX and it's not great. I also think that when they say they are going on Hiatus, what they are really saying is that the fired Rian Johnson, who was set to direct a new trilogy starting the Christmas after Episode IX.

If those movies are now on "hold" that's a fancy way of saying they fired him.


How fucking pragmatic.

There is zero chance that Disney is a broken as fuck, morally degenerate company with no future. All they need to do is make some tweaks.

vallor 04-12-2019 09:18 PM

Star Wars hiatus. Sure. It’s cause they are bankrupt on stories and what they do have they are saving to try and push for Disney+.

EP9 may barely be enough to redeem the shit show of this trilogy but it to do so it will have to be the best of all Star Wars movies made and I don’t think JJ Abrams has that in him. Rian Johnston didn’t give him anything to work with even if JJ was the greatest writer and director in the world. Which we know he isn’t.

I look forward to this absolute billion dollar+ box office movie which, if it is lucky, will be known as the movie which was “at least better than Episode 8”.

Outside of Endgame this is the only Disney release which may get some money from me moving forward but after TLJ it is only because sometime Star Wars needs to be seen on a REALLY DAMN BIG SCREEN! Not because I expect it to be a great movie worth of seeing sooner than home video or torrent.

EL CABONG 04-13-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2535363)
I think that tells you that the Disney executives have seen Episode IX and it's not great. I also think that when they say they are going on Hiatus, what they are really saying is that the fired Rian Johnson, who was set to direct a new trilogy starting the Christmas after Episode IX.

If those movies are now on "hold" that's a fancy way of saying they fired him.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss the game of thrones show runners also had a multi movie deal. Disney said it was in the works back in Feb of 2018. It was rumored to be some sort of Old Republic trilogy. I guess that is dead now aswell.

Trailer didn't do much for me. Palpatine being alive could be awesome but I don't really need to see Mary Sue Defeat him. How do they keep F-ing up Star Wars? The Clone Wars and Rebels are way better than TLJ.

PacerDawn 04-13-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Iger has previously expressed regret about the scheduling of Star Wars movies, especially with the short amount of time between 2017's The Last Jedi and early 2018's Solo. He took the blame for setting the movies that way, which is likely why he's pumping the brakes here.
And yet the MCU has no less than 3 movies a year, most of which seem to break records. They can put all the PR spin on this they want, but everybody knows it's really an issue with quality. They need to acknowledge that, it makes them look bad to say otherwise.

Or maybe they really have convinced themselves that it is a problem with over-saturation, in which case I have no hope for the franchise any further.

SpectralThundr 04-13-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2535399)
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss the game of thrones show runners also had a multi movie deal. Disney said it was in the works back in Feb of 2018. It was rumored to be some sort of Old Republic trilogy. I guess that is dead now aswell.

Trailer didn't do much for me. Palpatine being alive could be awesome but I don't really need to see Mary Sue Defeat him. How do they keep F-ing up Star Wars? The Clone Wars and Rebels are way better than TLJ.

How? Easy, they're more interested in politicizing it and pushing leftist propaganda than making good films. Quite obvious really.

cjrizzo 04-14-2019 08:47 AM

Totally fine with this. I am not a fanboy by any stretch of the Star Wars franchise. They are enjoyable and entertaining, but I would say that the whole franchise is terribly overrated.

Evil Avatar 04-14-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacerDawn (Post 2535425)
And yet the MCU has no less than 3 movies a year, most of which seem to break records. They can put all the PR spin on this they want, but everybody knows it's really an issue with quality. They need to acknowledge that, it makes them look bad to say otherwise.

Or maybe they really have convinced themselves that it is a problem with over-saturation, in which case I have no hope for the franchise any further.

I think from the community reaction, they got the message loud and clear that this is a quality issue. I don’t think they got the message on how to solve it. They tried to boot Kathleen Kennedy to the curb, wanting to replace her with JJ Abrams. JJ Abrams? That’s just stupid. The guy is a hack. And what is even funnier, he turned down the job.

They know Solo, Rogue One and The Last Jedi were bad films, because two of those movies they re-shot 50% - 100% of the movies. (Rogue One and Solo respectively.). What is odd is that they didn’t step in and re-shoot The Last Jedi. I guess they just waited too long and since it was ringing all the identity politics bells that they were looking for they didn’t realize till it was too late that it was a terrible movie.

So, their solution to this problem seems to be that they are going to abandon putting Star Wars on the big screen and roll it into small screen content for their Streaming service. Smaller budget, less risk. But, also they will end up seeing zero reward. A AAA film could bring in over a billion dollars. A AAA TV series on a streaming platform will only keep people subscribing. It will not get you a billion dollars.

I think they will realize that after they dump money into their first few series only to see that they really got nothing in return.

Kobeer 04-14-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NESter the Unlikely (Post 2535350)
I've got good news, you can see that right now. It's called The Hidden Fortress and it was directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Dude I haven't logged in for a year or two but HOT DAMN. Best comment of all time.

NACIONAL 04-15-2019 07:28 AM

Rogue One was good. At least it wasn't a steaming pile of shit like TLJ was.

Jar Jar wasn't that bad compared to the idiots in TLJ. At least Jar Jar was supposed to be an idiot.

Chief Smash 04-15-2019 07:41 AM

The Darth Vader ending of Rogue One was good. Donnie Yen and his buddy were good too though I can't even remember their names despite having seen the movie a couple of times. The rest of the movie was pretty bland in my opinion. It at least made sense out of the whole weakness in the original Death Star.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.