Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ubisoft Apologises for Homophobic Slur Found in ‘Street Art’ of The Division 2 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259949)

Emabulator 04-14-2019 11:24 AM

Ubisoft Apologises for Homophobic Slur Found in ‘Street Art’ of The Division 2

Quote:

Ubisoft has apologised for a homophobic slur found on wall graffiti in The Division 2.

The slur can be found on a huge wall art asset depicting a police officer eating a doughnut. At close inspection – as recorded here in this lengthy Imgur post that shows a series of spelling mistakes in environmental art – you can see the slur written in “leetspeak” on the police officer’s badge.

“It’s been brought to our attention that a piece of street art in Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 contained offensive content. We removed the image from the game via a patch on Thursday, April 11,” Ubisoft said in a statement (thanks, Eurogamer).

“We apologise that this image slipped through our content review processes, and we are currently reviewing them in order to avoid this kind of oversight from occurring in the future.”
MCV.

brandonjclark 04-14-2019 11:48 AM

I have had many gay friends. I have many gay friends.

I've never heard the word "fag" used more often than by my gay friends.

Evil Avatar 04-14-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2535491)
I have had many gay friends. I have many gay friends.

I've never heard the word "fag" used more often than by my gay friends.

If you looked at the art, it was a fat police officer eating a donut and his badge says "faggot". I thought it was pretty funny. I guess I'm not easily offended.

GodFather 04-14-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2535493)
If you looked at the art, it was a fat police officer eating a donut and his badge says "faggot". I thought it was pretty funny. I guess I'm not easily offended.

People are offended by anything in 2019...in fact my response to you is offending somebody somewhere...

DingBat 04-14-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodFather (Post 2535496)
People are offended by anything in 2019...in fact my response to you is offending somebody somewhere...

Yeah, no. People have always been offended by something. It's only weird when it's something you don't find offensive.

Way back in the 90's we sold the source code of our product to IBM. As part of the deal they did a complete audit of the code. Some clown had added a comment "// Tell the stupid fucking user what to do". You should have heard the complaints from IBM. It literally almost killed the deal.

The lesson I took from that is: If you want your business to go smoothly, keep it professional. It might seem like harmless fun at the time but it's not worth the aggravation.

SpectralThundr 04-14-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2535501)
Yeah, no. People have always been offended by something. It's only weird when it's something you don't find offensive.

Way back in the 90's we sold the source code of our product to IBM. As part of the deal they did a complete audit of the code. Some clown had added a comment "// Tell the stupid fucking user what to do". You should have heard the complaints from IBM. It literally almost killed the deal.

The lesson I took from that is: If you want your business to go smoothly, keep it professional. It might seem like harmless fun at the time but it's not worth the aggravation.

Outrage over unprofessional coding from a major international company with a reputation to uphold? How dare IBM!!! You truly are a dumbshit.

brandonjclark 04-14-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2535501)

Imagine selling that code today?

The hoops you'd want to jump through, both legal and technical, would be tremendous.

DingBat 04-14-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2535502)
Outrage over unprofessional coding from a major international company with a reputation to uphold? How dare IBM!!! You truly are a dumbshit.

-----> whoosh! ----->

SpectralThundr 04-14-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingBat (Post 2535504)
-----> whoosh! ----->

You whooshed yourself pal. Literally and can't even see it :rolleyes:

VenomUSMC 04-14-2019 04:41 PM

Seemed meant to be more anti-cop than anti-gay to me. Anyways, I'd expect much harsher graffiti in such a environment -- but I can understand a developer not wanting to go down that route.

Kooch 04-14-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2535505)
You whooshed yourself pal. Literally and can't even see it :rolleyes:

Lol, no I don't think so. You look dumb in this exchange, not him.

Kreigmstr 04-14-2019 05:43 PM

Might be an attempted variation of Black Flag - Police Story art. The cops face and hat are exactly the same. Hiding faggot in the name in leet is probably some person's idea of "hiding it". Still with everyone being so hyper sensitive its kind of a dumb move on someones part.

For comparision:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/154..._1200x1200.jpg

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/hG...VSD-650-80.jpg

Dag-Sabot 04-14-2019 06:09 PM

Im sure the mig-15 offends many people who refer to it by its NATO designation. Maybe the cop's ancestors were bundle of sticks salesmen.

SpectralThundr 04-14-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooch (Post 2535510)

You can't see how a major international corp wouldn't want it's source code filled with slams towards customers? that's called protecting your own ass right there. Not really that crazy or outrageous.

Terran 04-14-2019 07:48 PM

The pic is terrible with the gun AND the donut. lol, just a gnarly image all around.

Kreigmstr 04-14-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2535515)
The pic is terrible with the gun AND the donut. lol, just a gnarly image all around.

Yeah, but punk bands were never really ones to give a fuck about hurting anyone's feelings.

ElektroDragon 04-14-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2535502)

Agreed....

ElektroDragon 04-14-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooch (Post 2535510)

Leave my fellow thunder and lightning themed anonymous internet pal with decent politics alone!

Booda 04-14-2019 09:44 PM

On a more positive note, I’d say Div2 is doing pretty good. So far the only negative news I’ve read about a game based on government fueled wholesale genocide, is that someone found the word “faggot” spelled in leet.

DingBat 04-14-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2535514)
You can't see how a major international corp wouldn't want it's source code filled with slams towards customers? that's called protecting your own ass right there. Not really that crazy or outrageous.

Yeah, just like Ubisoft. That was the point.

-------------- whoooooosh! --------------------->