Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Netflix plays peekaboo with its ratings. Hollywood isn’t amused (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258332)

Emabulator 01-24-2019 09:53 AM

Netflix plays peekaboo with its ratings. Hollywood isn’t amused

The Los Angeles Times has the story.

Quote:

When it comes to ratings, Netflix treats the public and many of its business partners like the characters in "Bird Box" — blindfolded and left to feel their way through the dark, except for a rare glimpse of light.

Secrecy is a charge often leveled at Netflix. In Hollywood, where TV ratings and box-office stats are the lifeblood of business, the streaming entertainment titan plays by its own rules, keeping its viewer statistics out of sight and making it difficult for outsiders to measure the success of its shows.

Recently, though, Netflix has publicly revealed some fuzzy performance figures for a handful of projects, among them the former Lifetime series “You,” the Spanish-language teen drama “Elite” and most prominently the science fiction thriller “Bird Box,” which the company said had been seen by more than 45 million accounts in its first week. But these are the exceptions. Viewership for Netflix’s hundreds of other original series and movies remains a corporate secret.

As Netflix continues to grow, this game of peekaboo has become increasingly irksome to other studios as well as talent agencies, some of which feel that Netflix's lack of transparency gives it an unfair competitive advantage.

Despite pressure on Netflix to disclose more data, experts say Netflix has little motivation to be more open, in part because it doesn't answer to advertisers who would normally demand such information.

“Netflix frankly doesn’t have to tell anybody anything about the viewing of any of their stuff because they don’t have to,” says Tim Hanlon, chief executive of the Chicago-based media advisory and investment firm the Vertere Group.

Netflix also faces rising costs associated with content licensed from other studios, and disclosing ratings on popular shows would likely lead to even higher licensing fees.

ElektroDragon 01-24-2019 11:13 AM

Birdbox was the biggest liberal propaganda POS I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Ugh. Complete with bleeding heart female director feelgood ending that was supposed to be some kind of "oh wow, of course" moment for those cretins. Gag. Not to mention it was a total ripoff of The Happening.

vallor 01-24-2019 02:01 PM

Boo hoo for Hollywood and the poor people butthurt Netflix doesn't show their numbers. Too bad. At the end of the day I am glad they don't. In real life people don't get to see all the cards their opponents are holding and, with the exception of pure dollars, the numbers Hollywood, reviewers, and Nielson put out aren't often reflective of a true customer index.

At best they are a sample of a sample size.

As for Bird Box I was expecting a cheap "A Quiet Place" rip off, but I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't feel like I had wasted my night, just like I feel with most Netflix stuff. If I had seen it in the theaters I might have, but not on Netflix.

Evil Avatar 01-24-2019 07:44 PM

I enjoyed Bird Box. The ending could have been better and it was a mistake not to show the monster (except that since they had a crappy looking monster I'm glad they didn't show it), but it was enjoyable.

The book is FANTASTIC. It's amazing stuff. I have a couple of signed books by that author.

Terran 01-24-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529200)
...it was a mistake not to show the monster

How can you show a monster that literally drives people to commit suicide (or homicide if they're nuts already) and do any kind of credible justice to how horrifying such a creature would have to be to cause those effects?

They made a terrific decision to not show it. Any 'reveal' would have been laughably ridiculous and ruinous to the film.

Evil Avatar 01-24-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2529203)
How can you show a monster that literally drives people to commit suicide (or homicide if they're nuts already) and do any kind of credible justice to how horrifying such a creature would have to be to cause those effects?

They made a terrific decision to not show it. Any 'reveal' would have been laughably ridiculous and ruinous to the film.

It still ends up being a monster movie without the monster and that is where all the comparisons to The Happening come from. They should have showed something. The sketches on the table show a creature that looked like a Mind Flayer, so even a brief flash of that would have been better than showing nothing at all.

ElektroDragon 01-24-2019 11:17 PM

Cloverfield Paradox and Black Mirror Bandersnatch were examples of amazing Netflix movies. Bird Box seemed OK at first, but quickly showed itself for the B-movie preachy turd it was. Also check this out: https://www.theroot.com/netflixs-bir...ont-1831345159

LostToys 01-24-2019 11:26 PM

The day I click on a Root article is the day that I need to get rid of what little hope I still have for humanity.

Chimpbot 01-25-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529206)
It still ends up being a monster movie without the monster and that is where all the comparisons to The Happening come from. They should have showed something. The sketches on the table show a creature that looked like a Mind Flayer, so even a brief flash of that would have been better than showing nothing at all.

I have to agree with Terran on this one; this sort of creature isn't one that can be done justice, because almost everything someone would do in terms of design likely wouldn't be enough. This is one of the reasons why Lovecraft never really described any of his nightmarish creatures that would drive someone insane simply by looking at them.

I'd rather see nothing than something that would be ultimately disappointing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2529215)
Cloverfield Paradox and Black Mirror Bandersnatch were examples of amazing Netflix movies. Bird Box seemed OK at first, but quickly showed itself for the B-movie preachy turd it was. Also check this out: https://www.theroot.com/netflixs-bir...ont-1831345159

I suppose Cloverfield Paradox would have been relatively fine on it's own...but as a Cloverfield movie that attempted to placate those of us who wanted a legitimate followup to the '08 movie, it was kind of shitty.

Evil Avatar 01-25-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2529217)
The day I click on a Root article is the day that I need to get rid of what little hope I still have for humanity.

I read it and it doesn't even follow it's own internal logic. The writer was trying too hard, but then didn't even bother to read his own article to make sure it made sense within the comical point it was trying to make.

NACIONAL 01-25-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529229)
I read it and it doesn't even follow it's own internal logic. The writer was trying too hard, but then didn't even bother to read his own article to make sure it made sense within the comical point it was trying to make.

Also the author is a fucking moron...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The author
For instance, John Boyega plays Nat Turner in the Star Wars reboot, The Force Awakens. He’s a slave (Stormtrooper) who leads a rebellion that eventually destroys the plantation (The Death Star) and defeats the slavemaster (Kylo Ren).

So Luke was also an slave in the plantation?, because the story was the fucking same. Also it wasn't the death star it was starkiller base. Way to not watch a fucking movie. And that was in the second paragraph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The author
She grew up on a beautiful horse farm with her sister in California, which is just like living in the projects except that she hated her father. She really doesn’t say why she hates her father, but white people always hate one of their parents for some bullshit reason like missing their third-grade Christmas play or making them clean their room.

The author is a racist. It seems that if you are born white you don't have any issues in life. That is on the third paragraph.

I stopped reading there.

Maybe the roots are really like the Onion?.

SpectralThundr 01-25-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2529215)

And yet the movie makes it a point to make every attacker white, portray them as idiots, except for the one white guy that they don't listen to, and makes the token black lead to be this virtuous guy that still manages to kick ass at the end before he finally succumbs. Toss in some interacial fucking cuz god knows every ad, movie, tv show has to have interacial relationships Basically the entire movie was whitey is bad.

Terran 01-25-2019 04:28 PM

I think the root they're actually talking about at that site is hemlock, because that shitty ass site is poison. :D

LostToys 01-25-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529229)

I've tried going to the Root several times (damn you Kotaku and your links to sister sites) to give them the benefit of a doubt on some subjects, but they are always super hyperbolic and gleefully racists... I mean, bigoted, because only the majority/people with power have the capability to be racist. It's like Jezebel, but dialed up to 11. I'm no longer willing to give them the click just to see what crazy outside the box thinking they have come up with this time around.

LostToys 01-25-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2529271)
I think the root they're actually talking about at that site is hemlock, because that shitty ass site is poison. :D

Never thought I would say this, maybe 2019 will be a year of firsts, but I agree completely with Terran. Your analogy was genuinely comical and accurate. Well done.

PacerDawn 01-25-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529206)

I don't think the sketches were of the monster. The "monster" took on the form of something the person was scared of, it would never have appeared as itself (if it even had a form).

"Birdbox" was a mix of The Happening and A Quiet Place and it failed horribly. Right from the opening scene where they pretty much take any suspense out of the rest of the movie by practically showing us the ending. I already hate movies that do that (start from the middle and then do that "6 weeks earlier" crap), but this one takes the cake. There was no tension at all during the movie thanks to that. Terrible movie, written by amateurs that probably didn't go through any story revisions or even storyboard editing. I'm thinking Netflix was trying to save some money and cut all of that out. It shows.

SpectralThundr 01-25-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2529277)
Never thought I would say this, maybe 2019 will be a year of firsts, but I agree completely with Terran. Your analogy was genuinely comical and accurate. Well done.

That site is the poster child for showing that yes, blacks can indeed be racist, the irony is they're crying about racism as if they can't recognize their own hypocrisy.