Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Last of Us Part II Launches June 19, Ghost of Tsushima Delayed to July 17 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266551)

Evil Avatar 04-28-2020 10:35 AM

The Last of Us Part II Launches June 19, Ghost of Tsushima Delayed to July 17

Quote:

Release Date Updates For The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima

As our teams at Sony Interactive Entertainment and Worldwide Studios approach development milestones and confront a world changed by COVID-19, we find ourselves having to adapt to todayís ever-changing environment. Amidst some disruptions to our working styles, we wanted to provide an update to PlayStation gamers who are eager to learn when our next exclusive titles will arrive to PlayStation 4.

As we begin to see an ease in the global distribution environment, I am pleased to confirm that The Last of Us Part II will arrive on June 19. And Ghost of Tsushima will follow on July 17.

I want to personally congratulate and thank both the teams at Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch Productions on their achievements, as we know itís not an easy feat to reach the finish line under these circumstances. Both teams have worked hard to deliver world-class experiences, and we canít wait to see what you think of them when they release in just a few short months.

And finally, I want to thank the PlayStation Community for their continuous support and patience.
PlayStation Blog.

Chimpbot 04-28-2020 11:28 AM

I wonder how they'll respond to the massive LoU2 leaks, supposedly provided by a disgruntled employee?

There's been some major damage control going on over the past 24-48 hours.

vallor 04-28-2020 03:52 PM

Sounds like there are some issues inside Naughty Dog, especially the 6 - 8 month long crunches, which is driving away staff and probably led to the leaks. Some companies just have a crunch culture but many companies mitigate some of the issues that go along with that culture with a good production layer.

At the very least the producers are able to tell staff which ones are going to be blockers and who has dependencies on whom and keep the lines of communication flowing. Not every person makes a good producer and those studios who poo-poo the need for producers (like ND and, perhaps more famously, Valve) are most often the ones guilty of being horrifically late or having crunches way worse than the rest of the industry.

At least Epic has the excuse of running a live game with fixed updates to excuse their culture. Naughty Dog don't get to use that line.

I suspect the second problem is, over the years, the bonuses have gotten worse and further between grants with the executive staff being rewarded way, way beyond everyone except the most critical and senior team members. This is another issue with studios that run this culture: work hard, rewards are the Porches, houses, and trips around the world the bonuses buy. But this is no longer true in most studios; hell, look at Gearbox which got a bonkers drop of cash from Epic to go exclusive to the Epic store, then got advances and so on only to shit on their employees when it came time for bonuses.

Evil Avatar 04-28-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2558504)
I wonder how they'll respond to the massive LoU2 leaks, supposedly provided by a disgruntled employee?

Got a link? I haven't seen them online because I was playing HotS all day.

Daedalus 04-29-2020 12:01 AM

They pushed the writer of the first game out and installed a SJW, Neil Druckmann. Let me just say it's worth doing a google image search of that name. You play a MtF transsexual character who goes on a killing spree against white Christians.

This sounds like a joke, but that really is what they've turned the game into. A disgruntled developer leaked all the cut scenes. Joel's VA said not everyone would like the game. No shit.

SpectralThundr 04-29-2020 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 2558549)
They pushed the writer of the first game out and installed a SJW, Neil Druckmann. Let me just say it's worth doing a google image search of that name. You play a MtF transsexual character who goes on a killing spree against white Christians.

This sounds like a joke, but that really is what they've turned the game into. A disgruntled developer leaked all the cut scenes. Joel's VA said not everyone would like the game. No shit.

No one figured out why Elle was gay and dating a black girl prior to this? Bad enough she could have saved the entire human race during the first game but no, they needed sequels and instead fed a total shit ending.

shadow763 04-29-2020 07:02 AM

The ending of the first game was fine and driven by Joel's choice.

Terran 04-29-2020 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2558504)

Can't control the kind of damage releasing actual gaming content will do to this game and the nosedive in interest among folks tuned in to what it's about.

Chief Smash 04-29-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2558571)
Can't control the kind of damage releasing actual gaming content will do to this game and the nosedive in interest among folks tuned in to what it's about.

Eh I wonder. I can see the game tanking in a way (as in doing well but not nearly as well as they expect/need) or I can see it doing great since your average gamer probably doesn't pay attention enough to even know there was a leak. It's tough to really say. But Naughty Dog is yet another premium dev that seems to be falling from grace.

Terran 04-29-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2558573)
...your average gamer probably doesn't pay attention enough to even know there was a leak.

Reread my post, Chief. Key portion: "the nosedive in interest among folks tuned in to what it's about" Most folks aren't 'tuned in,' just like Twitter doesn't represent 'common perspectives' among the populace at large. I already expect that most folks won't even know about it.

Chief Smash 04-29-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2558574)
Reread my post, Chief. Key portion: "the nosedive in interest among folks tuned in to what it's about" Most folks aren't 'tuned in,' just like Twitter doesn't represent 'common perspectives' among the populace at large. I already expect that most folks won't even know about it.

Yeah my mistake. I was assuming you were talking about the overall view of the game from the gaming public.

SpectralThundr 04-29-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2558569)
The ending of the first game was fine and driven by Joel's choice.

Which was dumb since you spent the entire game getting to that point only for him to be like oh just kidding! Sorry to me that's a shitty plot.

AlfredT 04-29-2020 11:18 PM

I wonder about Ghosts. Like in history, despite their valiant defence during the first Mongol invasion, it was basically over for Japan until the Kamikaze (The Hurricane they called the divine wind) which fucked up the Mongol fleet, and their army who was housed in their fleet for the invasion the next day.

The game would be pretty anticlimatic when you battle a 1000 mongols, just for nature to actually save your country via fluke the next day. But I'm sure they'll apply some creative shenanigans.. like you summoning the gods/hurricane somehow.

MadMurdock_0311 04-30-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2558516)
...over the years, the bonuses have gotten worse and further between grants with the executive staff being rewarded way, way beyond everyone except the most critical and senior team members. This is another issue with studios that run this culture: work hard, rewards are the Porches, houses, and trips around the world the bonuses buy. But this is no longer true in most studios; hell, look at Gearbox which got a bonkers drop of cash from Epic to go exclusive to the Epic store, then got advances and so on only to shit on their employees when it came time for bonuses.

This is unfortunately the way most businesses work. The people who actually bust their asses, get paid peanuts, while the bigwigs get massive bonuses, stock options, huge salaries, etc.. I don't know how much longer this can sustain... People are getting fed up with being fucked over by these sociopaths.

vallor 04-30-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 (Post 2558663)
This is unfortunately the way most businesses work. The people who actually bust their asses, get paid peanuts, while the bigwigs get massive bonuses, stock options, huge salaries, etc.. I don't know how much longer this can sustain... People are getting fed up with being fucked over by these sociopaths.

The differences in these particular game studios is that, for the most part, they were originally set up to really incentivise their employees with bonuses based on % profit sharing.

For example Gearbox is supposed to give 40% in bonuses to the team 60% to the company/execs.

This has gotten broken more and more in the last decade, most blatantly and recently by Gearbox. Instead of profit sharing % or shares in the company, which used to be what you could turn in for big bucks, many companies award "points" which are worth a certain value and can only be "redeemed" at particular milestones. Then they scale the points or whatever their system, to the position.

There are special cases, of course, like the genius engine programmer might be compensated outside the typical structure but going to an established studio (even independent like Gearbox or Epic) and making bonuses that may have once been "Buy a house" or "buy a new Porsche" money is a throwback.

Unless you are an executive, then you end up getting a ton of dough.

Again, there will be exceptions but unless you are part of a startup the exceptions will be super rare Unicorn type staff.

Terran 04-30-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 (Post 2558663)

Gotta agree. If there's anything made abundantly clear by the circumstances of the past few months, it's that the most important folks in society are the ones getting paid peanuts.

I don't give an ever-loving-shit about LeBron and Brady being sidelined or Hollywood feeling left out and searching for relevance, I need food, electricity, water, the sewer system working when I flush the toilet, etc.. Those are the folks that matter.