Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amazon's Online Shooter Crucible Launching May12th (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266673)

Evil Avatar 05-05-2020 11:22 AM

Amazon's Online Shooter Crucible Launching May12th

Quote:

Crucible comes out on PC via Steam on 20th May 2020, Amazon has announced.

The free-to-play hero shooter is Amazon's first big video game launch, and comes ahead of the release of its MMO New World, and its video game streaming service Project Tempo.

Crucible is developed by Relentless Studios, the Seattle-based development team of Amazon Games. Relentless, which is run by Westwood Studios co-founder Louis Castle, was meant to release Crucible in March but Amazon's plans were delayed by the coronavirus outbreak.

Crucible has a lineup of 10 playable characters, each with unique weapons and abilities, as well as three game modes: Heart of the Hives, Harvester Command, and Alpha Hunters. Heart of the Hives sees two four-player teams fight bosses that spawn on the map. Each boss has a heart, and it's the first team to capture three hearts that wins the match. Harvester Command is two teams of eight capturing and holding harvesters. In Alpha Hunters, eight teams of two fight to be the final team standing. In each match you collect a resource called Essence, which is used to level up the characters.
EuroGamer.

This looks like the worst kind of corporate-driven money-grubbing soulless trash.

Evil Avatar 05-05-2020 11:22 AM

brandonjclark 05-05-2020 11:24 AM

Firefall reborn?

evild 05-05-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2558976)
This looks like the worst kind of corporate-driven money-grubbing soulless trash.

Interested to hear what the "best kind" is.

'Evil Avatar to only play truly independent games.' Confirmed! :p

Evil Avatar 05-05-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evild (Post 2558990)

Halo is the "best kind" of money-grubbing soulless corporate trash. :p

Terran 05-05-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2558978)
Firefall reborn?

They're BACK! :D Arlington, 6/5. lol

vallor 05-05-2020 12:28 PM

My eyes may actually be bleeding due to the assault of horrible graphics and models shown in that trailer.

They don't even have enough unique characters to cover their 8v8 mode which means you'll now have to worry about duplication which is terrible. This is something Overwatch got right. Very unique profiles for each character makes Friend or Foe ID easy. Even Apex Legend seems to have characters with more personality. It doesn't help that the trailer repeats at several shots in the short duration; duplication is built into the game. It's like a bad Roger Corman sci-fi movie where they have like two shots of spaceships flying at each other and they cut back and forth between them.

Maybe Bezos should have spent some money on artists? And designers? Or not wasted time/money on this game at all? Doesn't Amazon have enough people working there that at least one could have said "Woah, wait a second... this is shit, maybe we shouldn't?"

Mozain 05-05-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2558978)
Firefall reborn?

I'd say more so Paragon 2.0?

NACIONAL 05-05-2020 02:08 PM

the logo looks too much like quake 3 isn't it?

fishyfish 05-05-2020 05:11 PM

Looks like Amazon decided to push out whatever they have for New World and Crucible. Both games look like they'll be dead after the first week.

Azzy 05-05-2020 07:26 PM

This looks like what most people picture when you say a game is free. Yuck.
I'll play it for a week though just so Bezos continues to invest money in stupid shit.

Metal Jesus 05-06-2020 09:22 AM

A friend of mine worked on this who also released a bunch of PSP and DS games, so there is some Seattle area industry talent behind it. I think it's worth at least checking it out.

Terran 05-06-2020 09:27 AM

F2P means it will have almost instant access to a huge player base. The question will be whether it holds that base beyond a month or so. I don't think it looks any worse (or different) than Overwatch or any other similar multiplayer shooter.

Kids today are so spoiled. They have so many F2P and just plan FREE (see: Epic weekly titles, etc.) games available. You honestly don't have to spend any money on games any longer, just the platform (PC/console/handheld/mobile) to play them on.

GoldenAge for price point, for sure. Maybe not content (I think the GoldenAge for content and atmosphere was in the 80s-90s at arcades) but price for sure.

RAV 05-06-2020 11:33 AM

I remember spending a lot of time with Demos/Shareware titles, that let you play the first few levels/hours for free! They came with the gaming magazines! Man, looking forward each month to the magazines was cool. But yeah, F2P or otherwise, you can get a lot with little to no money these days.

Booda 05-06-2020 01:09 PM

Yep, definitely looks like your standard F2P game to me.

Low entrance fee = low quality.

SpectralThundr 05-06-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evild (Post 2558990)

Well except for Hearthstone of all generic crap, go figure.

SpectralThundr 05-06-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2559077)
Yep, definitely looks like your standard F2P game to me.

Low entrance fee = low quality.

Terran's favorite type of game. Cheap and shitty.

excalibur1814 05-07-2020 04:25 AM

All I wanted to do, after watching the video, was to play Unreal Tournament.

Evil Avatar 05-07-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2559093)
Well except for Hearthstone of all generic crap, go figure.

Who plays Hearthstone?

Terran 05-07-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2559141)
Who plays Hearthstone?

People who like shitty F2P and mobile games? ;)