Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First Dark Crystal Prequel Photos & Voice Cast Info (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257715)

Evil Avatar 12-17-2018 08:45 AM

First Dark Crystal Prequel Photos & Voice Cast Info

Entertainment Weekly has posted the first photos from the Netflix The Dark Crystal prequel movie.

Quote:

Leading the cast are Taron Egerton (Kingsman), Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch), and Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones) as Rian, Brea, and Deet, three Gelfling heroes.

But wait, there’s also: Caitriona Balfe (Outlander), Helena Bonham-Carter (The King’s Speech), Harris Dickinson (forthcoming Maleficent 2), Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones), Eddie Izzard (Ocean’s Thirteen), Theo James (The Divergent Series), Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), Shazad Latif (Star Trek: Discovery), Gugu Mbatha-Raw (The Cloverfield Paradox), Mark Strong (Kingsman) and Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider).

There’s also: Harvey Fierstein (Torch Song), Mark Hamill (Knightfall, Star Wars), Ralph Ineson (Game of Thrones), Jason Isaacs (The OA), Keegan-Michael Key (Key and Peele), Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (True Detective), Simon Pegg (Mission Impossible) and Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine Nine).
Wow. The puppets look perfect and the voice cast is amazing. This should be a good one!

BalekFekete 12-17-2018 10:19 AM

That is one hell of a voice cast...! I'll be on the look for this for certain.

Chimpbot 12-17-2018 10:42 AM

This has been in the works - in various forms - for such a long time. I'm really glad to see it's finally getting made.

brandonjclark 12-17-2018 01:08 PM

Okay, I'd hit that.

MadMurdock_0311 12-17-2018 01:54 PM

This brings back memories of watching HBO at my buddys (parents) house in the 80's. Dark Crystal, Legend, Labyrinth, Night Watch, etc..

This movie kinda creeped me out as a kid. The Skeksi' more specifically.

GinRummy 12-17-2018 02:30 PM

I feel bad for voice-only actors these days. Used to be they did great work doing unique voices and characters. Now they're pretty much all been replaced by regular actors or just famous regular people, who have only one voice and sound mostly like everybody else. Yes, some actors have distinctive voices, but that still doesn't make them automatically talented at voice acting. I read the credits of the big animated movies and am usually completely surprised at who was talking, since they often brought nothing to the role except their name. Does the money from big names on the posters offset the loss of end consumer quality? Not to me.

Chief Smash 12-17-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinRummy (Post 2526494)
I feel bad for voice-only actors these days. Used to be they did great work doing unique voices and characters. Now they're pretty much all been replaced by regular actors or just famous regular people, who have only one voice and sound mostly like everybody else. Yes, some actors have distinctive voices, but that still doesn't make them automatically talented at voice acting. I read the credits of the big animated movies and am usually completely surprised at who was talking, since they often brought nothing to the role except their name. Does the money from big names on the posters offset the loss of end consumer quality? Not to me.

Spot on. The studios must have some decent research that shows that the name recognition does help. And I've heard that even big stars will take smaller roles like this just to keep their names out in the public eye. But I don't understand the draw myself.

karaliusbronius 12-17-2018 03:13 PM

I was hoping for a prequel series, but this is a movie. Looking good though, I'm pretty stoked! Now can SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A GREMLINS 3!!!!!!

Primus 12-17-2018 06:53 PM

We'll know in advance if it sucks because Hamill will be signaling us like a Hanoi P.O.W. during the press tour like he did with the new Star Wars.

vallor 12-17-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2526495)
Spot on. The studios must have some decent research that shows that the name recognition does help. And I've heard that even big stars will take smaller roles like this just to keep their names out in the public eye. But I don't understand the draw myself.

While I agree in principle, some famous actors who do VO are amazing. I disagree with Mark Hamill on a lot of stuff but he is incredibly talented when it comes to VO. His Joker is iconic and sounds nothing like him.

He also does a lot of other VO. Arguably in the many, many years after Return of the Jedi Hamill was one of the Star Wars cast who faded most into obscurity. No drug or alcohol scandals, no big movie roles or other franchises to push fame. He had a big accident and became a no-one. All he had was the VO jobs.

SouljaOfChrist 12-18-2018 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2526497)
I was hoping for a prequel series, but this is a movie. Looking good though, I'm pretty stoked! Now can SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A GREMLINS 3!!!!!!

This IS a prequel series. 10 episodes I believe they said, taking place before the original movie. I am pumped as fuck. Was a huge fan as a kid, watched the VHS repeatedly. I'll 2nd Gremlins 3!

Evil Avatar 12-18-2018 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouljaOfChrist (Post 2526534)
This IS a prequel series. 10 episodes I believe they said, taking place before the original movie. I am pumped as fuck. Was a huge fan as a kid, watched the VHS repeatedly. I'll 2nd Gremlins 3!

I thought it was a series too, but the EW article was referring to it as a movie.

NACIONAL 12-18-2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2526537)
I thought it was a series too, but the EW article was referring to it as a movie.

It was originally set to a movie, but changed to a 10 episode series.

Cefca 12-18-2018 06:11 AM

Awesome, I loved the movie and the universe! Can't wait for this.