Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lemmings comes to Mobile Devices Today (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257807)

Evil Avatar 12-20-2018 06:03 PM

Lemmings comes to Mobile Devices Today

Quote:

Lemmings: A cute, clumsy and clueless species of green-mopped creatures on a journey home, in desperate need of help. For over 25 years, players have answered their call, with millions playing the puzzle game that became a pop-culture phenomenon.

We cheered when we saved them, cried when they died and as a schoolkid back in the í90s, my classmates and I seemed hell-bent on killing the poor things in the most barbaric way possible. Kids were cruel in the í90s. We had no internet.

Now itís time for a whole new generation to save/slaughter those adorable critters once again, with a brand new Lemmings game out today, designed specifically for your mobile device.
And hereís a fun fact: did you know that Lemmings is officially part of the PlayStation family? Itís true ó originally released for the Amiga, Lemmings was published by legendary Liverpool studio Psygnosis. The company later joined PlayStation and went on to create classics such as WipEout and Colony Wars. And it all started with Lemmings!
blog.us.playstation.com

Evil Avatar 12-20-2018 06:03 PM

vallor 12-20-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

And here’s a fun fact: did you know that Lemmings is officially part of the PlayStation family? It’s true — originally released for the Amiga, Lemmings was published by legendary Liverpool studio Psygnosis. The company later joined PlayStation and went on to create classics such as WipEout and Colony Wars. And it all started with Lemmings!
Another fun fact: Sony then went on to gut Psygnosis through the last part of the 2000s finally shuttering the studio which created those classic games they are so proud to tout now closing the doors on the shell of a studio in 2012 and ending the employment of 100 folks.

This is great! What other fun facts do you have for us?! Other franchises and studios you want to bring up from the good ol' days which are actually not great stories for Sony when you scratch beneath the surface?

NESter the Unlikely 12-21-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2526803)
What other fun facts do you have for us?! Other franchises and studios you want to bring up from the good ol' days which are actually not great stories for Sony when you scratch beneath the surface?

That Medievil reboot was announced so maybe we'll see them trot out the corpse of SCEE Cambridge/Guerilla Cambridge for a minute.

Scherge 12-21-2018 02:18 AM

Well, another fun fact would be that the original game was developed by DMA Design. You know, Rockstar North. The GTA guys. Oh, we're not advertising different companies? Nevermind then.

This trailer is horrible. Anyone who's not already familiar with "Lemmings" would be hard-pressed to say what this game was actually about. And how does customization help in a game where you routinely force dozens of critters to self-destruct? The only interesting bit I gleaned from the video was the apparent segmentation of the levels in tiles. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but I do remember many failed attempts because I clicked one pixel too early or too late. In this day and age (and with imprecise touch controls), that might be too much for the average puzzle gamer.

paragondk1 12-21-2018 03:58 AM

I PROUDLY completed Lemmings 1, Oh No More Lemmings, Lemmings 2 and Lemmings 3 on Amiga and Amiga emulator.

Such awesome games, frustrating at times, but so well done.

This looks like an abomination of the originals, but I'll likely try it out at some point. Sometimes re-launches turn out positive, even if much different.

Laz 12-21-2018 04:18 AM

I think the second one was called Oh No More Lemmings. Both games were a blast to play. I picked up a Lemmings clone called Flockers a few years ago, but never got around to playing it. Anyone play through Flockers?

paragondk1 12-21-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 2526829)
I think the second one was called Oh No More Lemmings. Both games were a blast to play. I picked up a Lemmings clone called Flockers a few years ago, but never got around to playing it. Anyone play through Flockers?

I gave Flockers a shot. Was quite average if I recall. Not bad, mind you, just nothing that grabbed me.

Evil Avatar 12-22-2018 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragondk1 (Post 2526828)
I PROUDLY completed Lemmings 1, Oh No More Lemmings, Lemmings 2 and Lemmings 3 on Amiga and Amiga emulator.

Such awesome games, frustrating at times, but so well done.

This looks like an abomination of the originals, but I'll likely try it out at some point. Sometimes re-launches turn out positive, even if much different.

I found a disc for Holiday Lemmings a few days ago. Just randomly came across it in a drawer. Loved (and hated) these games. I completed Lemmings 2, that was the really hard one with the best art. I had it on PC. I might still have the big box for it in the closet.

Laz 12-23-2018 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2526895)
I found a disc for Holiday Lemmings a few days ago. Just randomly came across it in a drawer. Loved (and hated) these games. I completed Lemmings 2, that was the really hard one with the best art. I had it on PC. I might still have the big box for it in the closet.

I forgot about holiday lemmings - it was fun too!