Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Last Of Us 2 Doesn't Fit On A Single Disc (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263060)

BeardedSonOfNel 10-01-2019 08:26 AM

The Last Of Us 2 Doesn't Fit On A Single Disc

Via GameSpot
Quote:

A Best Buy listing reveals the contents of The Last of Us Part II's Special Edition, which includes the full game on two discs, a 48-page mini art book, steelbook, avatar set, and a dynamic theme (presumably for the PS4). The whole package retails for $80 USD. It's likely the Standard Edition of The Last of Us Part II will also be split into two discs.

BalekFekete 10-01-2019 08:32 AM

Day one purchase for certain.

Metal Jesus 10-01-2019 08:36 AM

Meanwhile... Roberta Williams is saying "Oh yeah? Hold my beer..."

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/p...agoria/cds.jpg

PatrickRes9 10-01-2019 09:13 AM

That means it MUST be great!

...ehhehhh.

Sensei-X 10-01-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2545255)
Meanwhile... Roberta Williams is saying "Oh yeah? Hold my beer..."

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/p...agoria/cds.jpg

I'm reminded of my first major PC game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena. It was really something when I opened up that huge box and saw a stack of 3.5" floppy discs and realizing that was all one game and I would be spending quite some time installing the darn thing. Of course when I finally got it installed it ran terribly because my shiny new computer just wasn't remotely up to the task. :p

MechaDangerous 10-01-2019 11:16 AM

While I very much enjoyed the first Last of Us, the second one doesn't really interest me. The whole revenge-lovestory plot just seems dumb.

NightRain 10-02-2019 11:27 AM

Remember when PS3 fans sued to laugh at multi disc games on 360, even though they were a selling feature on PS1? Well sounds like this is a selling feature too.... multi disc games are no big deal, but they make little sense now. Both the PS4 and Xbox One require games to be installed on the hard drive, many games are well over the size of a single disc already so why would you need two discs for this game?

vallor 10-02-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightRain (Post 2545346)
Both the PS4 and Xbox One require games to be installed on the hard drive, many games are well over the size of a single disc already so why would you need two discs for this game?

One problem is what happens when the game goes digital? Each disc, depending on if they are double or single layer, could mean an extra 23 GB to 45 GB so we're looking at 50 GB to 100 GBs.

That's not exactly friendly when:
1) The consoles almost always come with criminally small HDDs, though as you mention many games require HDD install not to mention the multi-GB day one patches.

2) Some of the more prolific internet providers have very gamer unfriendly bandwidth caps. Comcast Xfinity, which is one of the few companies with speeds higher than 20 MB in many Free-attle area cities, caps at 1TB for even their most generous plans and charge an extra $50 a month for unlimited.

I tried to use Starbucks WiFi, since I am there using their bathroom anyway but it doesn't reach all the way to my tent under the I-90 overpass. What's a bum gunna do? Gotta go Comcast who is second only to Time Warner cable in which company rivals EA for most hated (IMO).

ElektroDragon 10-04-2019 09:38 PM

The discs may be bi, but sadly the main character isn't.

Wait, I have a better joke. Two discs, because the main character sure loves holes!

ElektroDragon 10-04-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2545347)
Comcast Xfinity, which is one of the few companies with speeds higher than 20 MB in many Free-attle area cities, caps at 1TB for even their most generous plans and charge an extra $50 a month for unlimited.

Dude! Come across the sound to Silverdale, we gots 1000/1000 1:32 GPON fiber that never goes down even during power outgages with NO CAPS or throttling for only only $75. Sometimes $65 depending on the promotion! :D And I can still walk to Starbucks and a mall from my house, maaaaaan! And I took a ferry to see Alice In Chains, cuz I'm cool like that.

Inkabodcrane 10-05-2019 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2545501)
Dude! Come across the sound to Silverdale, we gots 1000/1000 1:32 GPON fiber that never goes down even during power outgages with NO CAPS or throttling for only only $75. Sometimes $65 depending on the promotion! :D And I can still walk to Starbucks and a mall from my house, maaaaaan! And I took a ferry to see Alice In Chains, cuz I'm cool like that.

Dude my buddy lives about 2 miles from me in Des Moines and gets that Centrylink Fiber 1 gig for $75 for life, and here I am nearby and can't get it. I am stuck with Centrylink DSL or Comcast 200-ish mbps plus paying $50 a month to avoid the data cap.

These internet policies are pathetic!

PatrickRes9 10-05-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2545509)
Dude my buddy lives about 2 miles from me in Des Moines and gets that Centrylink Fiber 1 gig for $75 for life, and here I am nearby and can't get it. I am stuck with Centrylink DSL or Comcast 200-ish mbps plus paying $50 a month to avoid the data cap.

Huh. Not bad. I pay $120 a month from the only ISP I have access to for 200 mbps. Course, the extra 40 is for basic cable that I dont want just so I can have no data caps.

I would regulate them less. THEN we'd see the free market really taking over, and the prices and technology becoming reasonable for ALL!

Heh. Heh. Heh.

vallor 10-05-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2545509)

Des Moines eh? When I am not in my tent under the I-90/I-5 interchange that is where I hang my hat. Also not able to get the Centrylink fiber even though this is, technically, the "good" part of Des Moines.

Inkabodcrane 10-09-2019 05:39 AM

!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2545532)
Des Moines eh? When I am not in my tent under the I-90/I-5 interchange that is where I hang my hat. Also not able to get the Centrylink fiber even though this is, technically, the "good" part of Des Moines.

I suspect we live within a few miles of each other. Cool! I'm from the north side of Seattle but since 2013 live in Des Moines. It's fine. Those tent cities look rough!