Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brad McQuaid has passed away. (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263973)

MechaDangerous 11-19-2019 07:28 PM

Brad McQuaid has passed away.

https://www.pcgamer.com/everquest-an...uaid-has-died/

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC Gamer
Brad McQuaid, best known as a formative hand in the creation of EverQuest, has died aged 51. McQuaid's death was reported by the official Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Twitter account, which is the MMO he was working on until his death.

Some of my fondest memories are in EverQuest, and I am still very much looking forward to Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

R.I.P. Brad McQuaid. You will most definitely be missed.

brandonjclark 11-19-2019 07:33 PM

Daaaang, that's WAY too young!

RIP

I've never forgotten what it felt like to see a new Everquest cover in Electronics Boutique!

Evil Avatar 11-19-2019 07:42 PM

Way too young! Legendary developer who changed the way we see MMO's.

Meeks 11-19-2019 08:27 PM

Probably my favorite developer of all time, creator of my two favorite MMOs (Everquest and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes). This is a huge blow to the community. Thanks for the memories, @Aradune. You will be missed.

Chief Smash 11-19-2019 09:01 PM

Very sad. EQ was probably the last game I played where I felt a true and total sense of wonder.

Terran 11-19-2019 09:37 PM

Wow, that's too young for a closing chapter to life. Any idea what happened? Cancer?

Xqa 11-19-2019 10:03 PM

What the... well we are officially old now, if your like me and made friends from EQ that to this day you still talk to.

I honestly hated everquest, i thought the game sucked but the friends i made, more made up for it.

KlausFlouride 11-20-2019 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2548419)
Very sad. EQ was probably the last game I played where I felt a true and total sense of wonder.

This.

I played EQ2 for awhile but it just wasn't the same. The first time I went into Unrest was some of the fondest memories of EQ, that and noob log in Nerriak Forrest.

BeardedSonOfNel 11-20-2019 06:17 AM

I was teaching college at the time EQ came out, and lost many a student to that game.
So sad to see a person die at such a young age.

wunshot 11-20-2019 06:25 AM

That game was such a fantastic experience....before MMO's were on rails and held your hand the entire way. I remember I was about 30 hours in (which meant I was still worthless in a fight), and somehow my ogre decided it was a good idea to jump on some raft without any idea where it went. Next thing I know, I'm crouched down in the sewers under some human city trying to figure out how I was going to get back home to the forest without getting killed by the guards or players because I would lose everything I owned. Still haven't had an experience like that since...one that occurred so organically yet felt straight out of a movie.

RIP :(

Mad Max RW 11-20-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2548420)
Wow, that's too young for a closing chapter to life. Any idea what happened? Cancer?

Suicide by cop.

wunshot 11-20-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2548431)
Suicide by cop.

Dude...that's fucked up. :)

vallor 11-20-2019 12:21 PM

EQ wasn't my first MMO but it was the one I measure all others against. Like many I have friends I still connect with today that I found while in EQ camping some spawn in Lower Guk.

Brad had a rocky ride since he left SoE, and while it's sad he has passed he had some demons on his back and am not entirely surprised.

Chief Smash 11-20-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2548455)
Brad had a rocky ride since he left SoE, and while it's sad he has passed he had some demons on his back and am not entirely surprised.

I had not heard this, though it would make some sense that they're being a little quiet about the cause of death, not that it makes it any less sad.

SpectralThundr 11-20-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2548465)
I had not heard this, though it would make some sense that they're being a little quiet about the cause of death, not that it makes it any less sad.

I'm 90% positive that around Vanguard:Saga of Heroes coming out I had read a blog about his drug problem and mismanagement of funds on that product because of said drug problem.

Meeks 11-20-2019 04:50 PM

Oh, I hadn't heard that. So sad.

wunshot 11-20-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

EQ wasn't my first MMO but it was the one I measure all others against. Like many I have friends I still connect with today that I found while in EQ camping some spawn in Lower Guk.

Lol I remember that spawn camp. You dropped down a hole to get to it.... It was some robe. Damn I loved that game.

wunshot 11-20-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2098

Hahahaha. Can't remember what I did three weeks ago, but I remember that robe. :)

ElektroDragon 11-20-2019 06:00 PM

It should be required by law to divulge cause of death so we can all figure out how to avoid it based on knowing his lifestyle choices.

My guess is heart attack due to sedentary lifestyle typical of those who obsessively play MMOs. :eek:

Yes I am a selfish, but in the end it's all about self preservation. But of course RIP and all that.

If I die prematurely, I want it to be known to others what the cause was, regardless of how stupid and embarrassing. Because at the very least it might get someone else thinking and help them prevent their own premature death. So maybe I am not so selfish after all. :)

Skunk 11-20-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2548476)
It should be required by law...

Are you some sort of liberal?