Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Valve aims to combat Steam review bombing with new 'histogram' charts (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248497)

MADxMrMike 09-21-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2493360)
I have mixed feelings about review bombing. Personally, it doesn't affect my buying decisions because I (along with the rest of us here) tend to be savvy enough to realize whats going on when it happens; it's typically just a temper tantrum being thrown by the community for whatever game is getting slammed.

This. Everyone who uses Steam and plays online knows exactly what is going on and it never truly affects someone buying a game. This is just news because the publishers and developers are upset about their score diving. So they are putting pressue on Steam Which I totally understand. But still... this shit isn't going to stop me from buying Fallout 4 or Dota or whatever. I guess the point is it's so apparent what is happening that it doesn't affect my decision. Now when I read thorough reviews that ppl put time in to weight in on what is good and bad about a game then I am affected by those reviews. But again I know what is going on.

Terran 09-21-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Everyone who uses Steam and plays online knows exactly what is going on and it never truly affects someone buying a game.
OMG, you're omniscient! :rolleyes:

There are millions of folks on Steam, and not all of them are hardcore gamers. There are many who will look at the 'recent' and 'all reviews' consensus on a game's main page and simply skip past it if it's negative. Steam shouldn't let folks review a game if they haven't actually bought and played it on Steam. And if you played it for ten minutes, your review is shit and should be counted as shit.

Speaking of Steam, wth do I have to update the damn thing EVERY TIME I LAUNCH IT. Stupid Gaben and his money-printing-machine.

Chimpbot 09-21-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2493394)
OMG, you're omniscient! :rolleyes:

There are millions of folks on Steam, and not all of them are hardcore gamers. There are many who will look at the 'recent' and 'all reviews' consensus on a game's main page and simply skip past it if it's negative. Steam shouldn't let folks review a game if they haven't actually bought and played it on Steam. And if you played it for ten minutes, your review is shit and should be counted as shit.

Speaking of Steam, wth do I have to update the damn thing EVERY TIME I LAUNCH IT. Stupid Gaben and his money-printing-machine.

This is actually why review bombing can be detrimental to smaller studios and indie developers. If the community gets a hair across their collective ass for some reason or another, they can absolutely tank the sales of smaller companies just trying to get by...often for the most petty of reasons.

The bigger studios and publishers can more easily rebound from this sort of thing...but the smaller ones aren't always quite so lucky.

Juan 09-22-2017 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2493359)
"buy the right to have an opinion on it"

that's so fucking stupid. I can have an opinion on lots of things I don't buy.

You have the right to an opinion on anything you want, however i'm suggesting you should not have the right to put up reviews of products you may not own as it opens the door to all kinds of silly behaviour (you know the kind of behaviour that has started this conversation).
"right to talk about BoTW"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashikenshin (Post 2493359)
are you that triggered by someone speaking ill of something you like?

Using the term 'triggered' in a derogatory or serious context makes you sound like a lunatic, you should probably stop that. I don't mind anyone having an opinion on something but for some idiot like Spectral to hold cast iron views that go against the vast, vast majority that he loudly proclaims at every fucking opportunity about a game that he hasn't even fucking played...well that's a very special type of retarded. So yes, in that case his opinion is utterly invalid.

Terran 09-22-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2493440)
Using the term 'triggered' in a derogatory or serious context makes you sound like a lunatic

I'll tell you what: When you can get lunatic liberals to stop spreading the term around the entire developed world, forcing it into textbooks and course descriptions in order to save snowflakes from melting in the face of the horrors of life (like the terrible reality that not everybody cares about 'your feelz' and you're not 'special' to most people), then you can come back and call out others for using what has become a commonplace designation for creating a progressive safe space. :rolleyes:

tl;dr - GTFO with that nonsense.

Juan 09-22-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2493443)
I'll tell you what: When you can get lunatic liberals to stop spreading the term around the entire developed world, forcing it into textbooks and course descriptions in order to save snowflakes from melting in the face of the horrors of life (like the terrible reality that not everybody cares about 'your feelz' and you're not 'special' to most people), then you can come back and call out others for using what has become a commonplace designation for creating a progressive safe space. :rolleyes:

tl;dr - GTFO with that nonsense.


The thing is I agree with you except for one thing - I have never once seen the term triggered used in except in a derogatory fashion. Triggered and Safe Spaces are an urban myth as far as I can tell.

Terran 09-22-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2493447)
I have never once seen the term triggered used in except in a derogatory fashion.

It's not used by the left, the very folks who created the term, in a derogatory fashion. It's used by the left as a 'warning sign' of upcoming 'speech/content' that they consider disturbing.

US students request warnings on content: 'you may be triggered by content in <whatever it is>'

Is some college material, or art, or whatever else, disturbing? Sure. #DealWithIt. #It'sCalledLife. #GrowUpChangeTheChannel.

Evil_SPanKY 09-22-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2493447)
The thing is I agree with you except for one thing - I have never once seen the term triggered used in except in a derogatory fashion. Triggered and Safe Spaces are an urban myth as far as I can tell.


I'm just saying...its used everywhere!

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/28/o...sses.html?_r=0

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/i..._say_they.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...b_8074320.html

https://ctfd.sfsu.edu/sites/default/...Classroom.docx

God I feel tarnished now....MUST shower!

EDIT - Searching for "safe spaces" and college's official use of it is even worse...so I'll let you Google that one yourself.

SpectralThundr 09-22-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2493447)
The thing is I agree with you except for one thing - I have never once seen the term triggered used in except in a derogatory fashion. Triggered and Safe Spaces are an urban myth as far as I can tell.

Despite it being everywhere it's an urban myth huh? Right. Crawl back under that rock and continue to be an ignorant fuck.

Juan 09-25-2017 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2493476)
Despite it being everywhere it's an urban myth huh? Right. Crawl back under that rock and continue to be an ignorant fuck.

I've never seen any real life trigger warnings, never seen anyone express anything about being triggered. It is certainly not something that is widespread. Rather it is something people like you have grasped and spout about constantly.

As I originally stated, using the term makes you sound like a lunatic, regardless of how you meant it.

Terran 09-25-2017 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2493633)
It is certainly not something that is widespread.

Certainly not. If you're illiterate. Or live in a cave. Or are a progressive ass who wants to deny progressive stupidity.

Take your pick. Then I'll agree with you. :rolleyes:

SpectralThundr 09-25-2017 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2493633)
I've never seen any real life trigger warnings, never seen anyone express anything about being triggered. It is certainly not something that is widespread. Rather it is something people like you have grasped and spout about constantly.

As I originally stated, using the term makes you sound like a lunatic, regardless of how you meant it.

Then you simply aren't paying attention or you're truly that much of a fucking idiot. Likely a bit from column A and a lot from column B.

Juan 09-25-2017 06:24 AM

Show me some examples then. I thinkn the whole snowflake, triggered, safe sapces thing was born out of that Guardian article you linked above. I'm may to be proved wrong but i have never seen a trigger warning or any shit like that irl.

Juan 09-25-2017 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2493643)
Then you simply aren't paying attention or you're truly that much of a fucking idiot. Likely a bit from column A and a lot from column B.

On a side not, you really are one of the most unpleasant people on the internet. You offer no insight, humour or useful discussion - ever. You ruin this page with your pathetic drivel.

Terran 09-25-2017 07:47 AM

On a side note, you really are dumb. You were given clear information related to an obvious term whose usage you denied and misapplied, yet you continue to deny and misapply it.

You really contribute nothing here. See you. :D

SpectralThundr 09-25-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2493646)
On a side not, you really are one of the most unpleasant people on the internet. You offer no insight, humour or useful discussion - ever. You ruin this page with your pathetic drivel.

How many links do you need moron? How do you know when someone's a liberal? When they can't take 5 mins to fucking educate themselves yet still feel they have a fucking clue as to what they're talking about. Pathetic drivel indeed.

It's useless trying to discuss things with idiots like you, you simply pretend shit doesn't exist that goes against the progressive narrative. Far easier just to call you out for being an idiot and move on, your cognitive dissonance prevents discussion to begin with since facts, logic, and common sense are apparently impossible for those on the left to even comprehend.

Juan 09-25-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2493656)
How many links do you need moron? How do you know when someone's a liberal? When they can't take 5 mins to fucking educate themselves yet still feel they have a fucking clue as to what they're talking about. Pathetic drivel indeed.

It's useless trying to discuss things with idiots like you, you simply pretend shit doesn't exist that goes against the progressive narrative. Far easier just to call you out for being an idiot and move on, your cognitive dissonance prevents discussion to begin with since facts, logic, and common sense are apparently impossible for those on the left to even comprehend.

Oh look you're triggered again. Oh look another post with accusations of being a 'liberal' and 'progressive' (i'm neither). How does it feel to be hated by this entire community? Let me guess you don't care :)

ashikenshin 09-25-2017 09:12 AM

You can bring the donkey to the water but you can't make him drink.

Terran 09-25-2017 09:23 AM

Juan, I apologize for being a bit unnecessarily harsh earlier. It is a real thing, in the real world, and it's all over the place at the collegiate level and on websites. If you keep denying it, that's on you though. :shrugs:

I'll try to be more productive going forward in disagreeing with people. :D

Juan 09-25-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2493663)
Juan, I apologize for being a bit unnecessarily harsh earlier. It is a real thing, in the real world, and it's all over the place at the collegiate level and on websites. If you keep denying it, that's on you though. :shrugs:

I'll try to be more productive going forward in disagreeing with people. :D

I'm not necessarily denying it, just saying i have never seen the term seriously used, ever. In my experience using the term triggered or safe space has been used to attack someone 100% of the time. In you experience, roughly what percentage of it's use has been serious / derogatory?

And please remember, my original point was that using the term triggered makes you sound like a lunatic regardless of how you meant it. This i stand by, it's fucking stupid.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 PM.