Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Serious Sam HD Games 75% Off on Steam (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143202)

Emabulator 05-12-2011 11:24 AM

Serious Sam HD Games 75% Off on Steam

This weekend on Steam you can get some serious deals on Serious Sam.

LilAbner 05-12-2011 11:46 AM

Ahhh yes, the poor man's Duke Nukem. :)

Anenome 05-12-2011 12:04 PM

Even though SixtyFPS gave me the first one as a gift (thanks again!), this is how this game made me feel:

I can't recommend it. I'll single out the audio as particularly loathesome and the factor that sent me over the edge. They're both repetitive and there's no positional audio going on, so you hear it roar and you think there's an enemy RIGHT BEHIND YOU--you wheel around, nothing. Wait, he's 20 feet that way in some random direction? This disconnect with 3D audio is something I've never seen a game do so badly.

That said, I felt the need to beat it so that Sixty's gift wouldn't go to waste--so I dutifully looked up the cheat codes and had some meta-fun, going through it with the sound off and invincibility on, to see what they had planned.

I must say the final scene was rather outrageous, with giants and massive hordes of enemies.

And I haven't played the sequels, so I'll leave that to you guys :P The game has an egyptian theme for environs that was fairly nice. The weapons aren't halfbad either.

Anenome 05-12-2011 12:05 PM

I should probably mention it's got co-op functionality too.

Crimson 05-12-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2009225)
I should probably mention it's got co-op functionality too.

Seriously, this would be the only way to play the game and enjoy it. I did the games in 4 player co-op and had a lot of fun with them. A great LAN party game. I think trying to play this in single player would just be a horrible experience. Well, unless you did it with invincibility on... just so you could coast through the ridiculous waves of bad guys to see the crazy bosses.

Nominal 05-12-2011 01:20 PM

I really loved the hell out of these games, but I also really enjoy games that throw any pretense of plot aside and just have you run around blowing shit up for fun. The HD versions were kind of a let down because of the audio quality. It's definitely pretty bad. I didn't notice the positional issues so much but just the general sound quality is not up to par.

Still fun games, though. And completely ridiculous as far as the amount of enemies and things they through at you at any given time

NightRain 05-12-2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by LilAbner (Post 2009216)
Ahhh yes, the poor man's Duke Nukem. :)

Not really.. it was way more like doom then Duke Nukem. I suppose it does take for both though.

ElfShotTheFood 05-12-2011 02:27 PM

As much fun as I had with these games when they first came out, they haven't aged well. I downloaded the demo for Second Encounter HD not long ago and got tired of it about halfway through.